How Can Any Self Respecting Person Identify

Dont get me wrong. I have huge issues with both Bush and the republican party, but let's take a look at the dems major causes and characteristics....

Platforms:

1) Anti-war at any cost.

2) Anti-business, radical environmentalists.

3) Tax Increases

4) Gay Marriages

5) Anti-smoking in bars.

6) Legalize marijuana

7) Anti-law enforcement for the most part.

8) Militant vegetarians.

9) Last second abortions.

10) The newest one..."Let's Pretend that we are Conservative"

Leaders:

1) Kerry

2) Hillary

3) Dean

4) Pelosi

5) Sharpton

Look at this absolute mess. Please, dont blame republicans for the current state of affairs. If you dems cant do any better than the above, you have only yourselves to blame for, despite a huge base, being losers.

PS: I am NOT calling individual dems on this board "losers," OK? I was referring to the recent elections.

Dont get me wrong. I have huge issues with both Bush and the republican party, but let's take a look at the dems major causes and characteristics....

Platforms:

1) Anti-war at any cost.

3) Tax Increases

4) Gay Marriages

5) Anti-smoking in bars.

6) Legalize marijuana

8) Militant vegetarians.

Leaders:

1) Kerry

2) Hillary

3) Dean

4) Pelosi

5) Sharpton

Look at this absolute mess. Please, dont blame republicans for the current state of affairs. If you dems cant do any better than the above, you have only yourselves to blame for, despite a huge base, being losers.

PS: I am NOT calling individual dems on this board "losers," OK? I was referring to the recent elections.

239846[/snapback]

I'm a radical right-winger and there are a few items on your list of "platform" issues that I would not solely attribute to DEMS:

5) Anti-smoking in bars.

6) Legalize marijuana

8) Militant vegetarians.

And a few that might be missing:

11) Freedom FROM Religion

12) Appeasement - let's all get along

13) Only if the U.N. says so...

and you're missing a few from your "Leaders" list:

1a) Kennedy

2a) Bill Clinton

3a) McAuliffe

6) Boxer???

Platforms:

1) Anti-war at any cost.

3) Tax Increases

4) Gay Marriages

5) Anti-smoking in bars.

6) Legalize marijuana

8) Militant vegetarians.

239846[/snapback]

I thought #10 was the Republican platform.

Why did you post this? Do you think these are true? Do you think someone like Mickey could post an equally biased view of the Republicans?

"1) Racist

2) Sexist

3) put the elderly in a box and forget about them

4) give money to the rich

5) no healthcare for kids

6) ignore education"

etc.

Is that somehow helpful?

Why did you post this? Do you think these are true?

240003[/snapback]

I think that most of them are true (except the ones I already listed in my first reply) at least for the majority of those who seem to label themselves as "leaders" of the Democratic Party. Whereas I think your entire list has no basis in fact whatsoever for the majority of those who seem to label themselves as "leaders" of the Republican Party.

I thought #10 was the Republican platform.

Why did you post this? Do you think these are true? Do you think someone like Mickey could post an equally biased view of the Republicans?

"1) Racist

2) Sexist

3) put the elderly in a box and forget about them

4) give money to the rich

5) no healthcare for kids

6) ignore education"

etc.

Is that somehow helpful?

240003[/snapback]

First of all, your list is untrue. Next, I need no help of any kind from you. Let's be clear on that, shall we sweetie?

First of all, your list is untrue. Next, I need no help of any kind from you. Let's be clear on that, shall we sweetie?

240040[/snapback]

Pot, meet kettle.

"Anti-war at any cost"

"Anti-law-enforcement"

"militant vegetarians"

I'm sure no Democrat would contest those generalizations, or any of the others.

Smooches to you too William. For clarification, I didn't offer you any help. Go find a bar to smoke in.

Platforms:

1) Anti-war at any cost, except for those small conflicts wwII and vietnam

2) Anti-business, radical environmentalists, except that Clinton helped shape the global economy through the wto and other agreements that give unprecedented power to corporations which supercede the powers of nations.

3) Tax Increases except for the mountains of corporate welfare handed out in the 1990's

4) Gay Marriages except for Kerry and Edwards who said they opposed them

5) Anti-smoking in bars. except for george pataki

6) Legalize marijuana except for a majority of democrats in congress

7) Anti-law enforcement for the most part. this is simply rediculous

8) Militant vegetarians. except that "militant" vegitarians would not identify themselves as democratic (the two major parties do not take up the entire political spectrum).

9) Last second abortions. again, simply rediculous

10) The newest one..."Let's Pretend that we are Conservative" just like, "compasionate conservatives" pretend to be liberal

I wouldn't call myself a liberal. Far from it in fact. I am more of a lefty righty. With that said, has anyone who is bashing the democrats looked up the definition of fascism lately?

240095[/snapback]

fas-cism:

a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Fa-sci-sta:

a member of an Italian political organization under Mussolini governing Italy 1922-1943 according to the principles of fascism.

au-to-crat:

1) a person ruling with unlimited authority.

2) one who has undisputed influence or power.

au-toc-ra-cy:

2) government in which one person possesses unlimited power.

Pot, meet kettle.

"Anti-war at any cost"

"Anti-law-enforcement"

"militant vegetarians"

I'm sure no Democrat would contest those generalizations, or any of the others.

Smooches to you too William. For clarification, I didn't offer you any help. Go find a bar to smoke in.

240157[/snapback]

>>>>>Smooches to you too William. For clarification, I didn't offer you any help. Go find a bar to smoke in.<<<<<

OK, we have a deal. I think no less of you, but offer you zero assistance in your quest to marry another man. That said, I do offer you my wishes for happiness, and that you will find a way to be a tad less smug.

>>>>>Smooches to you too William. For clarification, I didn't offer you any help. Go find a bar to smoke in.<<<<<

OK, we have a deal. I think no less of you, but offer you zero assistance in your quest to marry another man. That said, I do offer you my wishes for happiness, and that you will find a way to be a tad less smug.

240458[/snapback]

My family would both appreciate another man around the house. He could haul wood, work on the car, and rennovate our kitchen, while I watch TV.

"Smug." Again, I'm the kettle to your pot brother.

Conservatives ... and their bastard children, the Republicans ... love generalizations. Let one PROUD liberal Democrat get a little more specific ...

-

- ANTI-WAR AT ANY COST

-- More a reaction than a "platform." Our way of countering the "ALL WAR, ALL THE TIME" mentality. War and killing are always meant to be a LAST resort. Take a quick walk down recent-memory lane and look at Bush's first six or seven "main" justifications for the war in Iraq. Lie after lie, and in the end, he got his war. Forgive us for thinking peace is a good thing.

-

- ANTI-BUSINESS, RADICAL ENVIRONMENTALISTS

-- Wanting business to play by the rules does not constitute "anti" anything. As for that little fixation with drinkable water and breathable air, well ... air and water are neccessary to sustain human life. (Despite what the White House may say...)

-

- TAX INCREASES

-- Are you paying attention? Clinton left a SURPLUS. Bush already has run up the largest deficit in US history, and he's not done. Enjoy the war and the "rebuilding", but someone's going to have to PAY for it. My guess is it won't be Halliburton.

-

- GAY MARRIAGES

-- Another gross over-generalization. I am dead against compromising the sanctity of marriage. I know - I don't fit the model. Maybe the truth is that the whole gay marriage "issue" was a tool to get "conservative" voters out in 2004.

-

- ANTI-SMOKING IN BARS

-- Again, I am a LIBERAL DEMOCRAT, and I HATE the new laws. Watch those generalizations...

-

- LEGALIZE MARIJUANA

-- The alternative? How about the status-quo? Spend hundreds of millions of dollars and endless law enforcement man-hours to interdict less than 1% of the incoming pot. Yeah, seems to be working. Seriously, how about regulating and taxing pot? We do it with alcohol and tobacco.

-

- ANTI-LAW ENFORCEMENT FOR THE MOST PART

-- Not at all. We're more concerned with the selective, arbitrary nature of what the Republicans call "law enforcement." Rob a gas station with a .22 and face ten to fifteen in a state prison. Break every business law in the book and steal two or three hundred million as a corporate CEO or CFO, and you're going duck hunting with Vice President Cheney. Seems a little tilted, doesn't it?

-

- MILITANT VEGETARIANS

-- I'll keep that in mind later as I'm enjoying the 24 ounce steak at Delmonico's...

-

- LAST SECOND ABORTIONS

-- Didn't Ronald Reagan all but force a woman out in California to have an abortion years ago when it threatened his blooming acting career? Do as we SAY, not as we DO, I guess. Abortion isn't a political issue rightly. It's a moral issue. I apologize for destroying yet another broad characterization, but as a Christian, I am very anti-abortion.

-

-LET'S PRETEND THAT WE ARE CONSERVATIVES

-- Many Democrats ARE conservatives. Some are fiscal conservatives. Some are social conservatives. Case in point: Clinton's SURPLUS versus Bush's drunken sailor fiscal policy.

-

--- I just think that the whole "Democrats all think this" and "Democrats all want that" nonsense is a matter of painting a picture using too-wide brush strokes.

Conservatives ... and their bastard children, the Republicans ... love generalizations. Let one PROUD liberal Democrat get a little more specific ...

-

- ANTI-WAR AT ANY COST

-- More a reaction than a "platform." Our way of countering the "ALL WAR, ALL THE TIME" mentality. War and killing are always meant to be a LAST resort. Take a quick walk down recent-memory lane and look at Bush's first six or seven "main" justifications for the war in Iraq. Lie after lie, and in the end, he got his war. Forgive us for thinking peace is a good thing.

-

-- Wanting business to play by the rules does not constitute "anti" anything. As for that little fixation with drinkable water and breathable air, well ... air and water are neccessary to sustain human life. (Despite what the White House may say...)

-

- TAX INCREASES

-- Are you paying attention? Clinton left a SURPLUS. Bush already has run up the largest deficit in US history, and he's not done. Enjoy the war and the "rebuilding", but someone's going to have to PAY for it. My guess is it won't be Halliburton.

-

- GAY MARRIAGES

-- Another gross over-generalization. I am dead against compromising the sanctity of marriage. I know - I don't fit the model. Maybe the truth is that the whole gay marriage "issue" was a tool to get "conservative" voters out in 2004.

-

- ANTI-SMOKING IN BARS

-- Again, I am a LIBERAL DEMOCRAT, and I HATE the new laws. Watch those generalizations...

-

- LEGALIZE MARIJUANA

-- The alternative? How about the status-quo? Spend hundreds of millions of dollars and endless law enforcement man-hours to interdict less than 1% of the incoming pot. Yeah, seems to be working. Seriously, how about regulating and taxing pot? We do it with alcohol and tobacco.

-

-- Not at all. We're more concerned with the selective, arbitrary nature of what the Republicans call "law enforcement." Rob a gas station with a .22 and face ten to fifteen in a state prison. Break every business law in the book and steal two or three hundred million as a corporate CEO or CFO, and you're going duck hunting with Vice President Cheney. Seems a little tilted, doesn't it?

-

- MILITANT VEGETARIANS

-- I'll keep that in mind later as I'm enjoying the 24 ounce steak at Delmonico's...

-

- LAST SECOND ABORTIONS

-- Didn't Ronald Reagan all but force a woman out in California to have an abortion years ago when it threatened his blooming acting career? Do as we SAY, not as we DO, I guess. Abortion isn't a political issue rightly. It's a moral issue. I apologize for destroying yet another broad characterization, but as a Christian, I am very anti-abortion.

-

-- Many Democrats ARE conservatives. Some are fiscal conservatives. Some are social conservatives. Case in point: Clinton's SURPLUS versus Bush's drunken sailor fiscal policy.

-

--- I just think that the whole "Democrats all think this" and "Democrats all want that" nonsense is a matter of painting a picture using too-wide brush strokes.

241357[/snapback]

Thanks Petrino for this post. That was a perfect "back to reality in this totally lunatic thread" post!

-

- ANTI-WAR AT ANY COST

-

-

- TAX INCREASES

-

- GAY MARRIAGES

-

- ANTI-SMOKING IN BARS

-

- LEGALIZE MARIJUANA

-

-

- MILITANT VEGETARIANS

-

- LAST SECOND ABORTIONS

-

-

241357[/snapback]

Petrino, you as an individual might not fit every mold, but what I described is a very sizeable chunk of the democrat party.

Also, you lashed out at Bush which is of course fine, but failed to address the slime leadership in your party.

Petrino, you as an individual might not fit every mold, but what I described is a very sizeable chunk of the democrat party.

Also, you lashed out at Bush which is of course fine, but failed to address the slime leadership in your party.

241459[/snapback]

Actually, I would wager a large sum of money that militant vegans do NOT make up a sizable chunk of the Democratic Party. It would be far more accurate to say that Democrats make up the vast majority of militant vegans...but that in no way implies the opposite, in the same way that "all oranges are fruit" does not mean that "all fruit is oranges".

Actually, I would wager a large sum of money that militant vegans do NOT make up a sizable chunk of the Democratic Party.  It would be far more accurate to say that Democrats make up the vast majority of militant vegans...but that in no way implies the opposite, in the same way that "all oranges are fruit" does not mean that "all fruit is oranges".

241525[/snapback]

I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Add the groups that I listed, throw in minorities (and I do find this upsetting) and you have yourself the bulk of the democrat party.

Actually, I would wager a large sum of money that militant vegans do NOT make up a sizable chunk of the Democratic Party.  It would be far more accurate to say that Democrats make up the vast majority of militant vegans...but that in no way implies the opposite, in the same way that "all oranges are fruit" does not mean that "all fruit is oranges".

241525[/snapback]

Most of the militant vegans I've ever met associate with a Left outside of the Democratic party. I really can't understand the argument that the Far Left is taking over the party. On the contrary, I think it has become so milquetoast and unsure of what it's fighting for that it has lost its way (and by extension, its votes and constituents). Say what you will about the Right (and if you don't, I will) -- they know what they want.

-

- ANTI-WAR AT ANY COST

-

-

- TAX INCREASES

-

- GAY MARRIAGES

-

- ANTI-SMOKING IN BARS

-

- LEGALIZE MARIJUANA

-

-

- MILITANT VEGETARIANS

-

- LAST SECOND ABORTIONS

-

-

241357[/snapback]

There's a debate tactic that's often successful. Tell someone else you don't like generalities and then sprinkle same throughout. Very progressive.

There are few differences between the power brokers in the two party system, and even fewer between the blind followers those who make excuses for them.

There's a debate tactic that's often successful.  Tell someone else you don't like generalities and then sprinkle same throughout.  Very progressive.

There are few differences between the power brokers in the two party system, and even fewer between the blind followers those who make excuses for them.

241636[/snapback]

Sorry, but I went back and looked for the "generalities' that I allegedly sprinkled throughout my post. Couldn't find them. Could you be a tad more specific?

Sorry, but I went back and looked for the  "generalities' that I allegedly sprinkled throughout my post. Couldn't find them. Could you be a tad more specific?

241645[/snapback]

"All War All the Time"

"Wanting Business to Play by the Rules" - implying that conservatives don't.

"Rob a gas station with a .22 and face ten to fifteen in a state prison. Break every business law in the book and steal two or three hundred million as a corporate CEO or CFO, and you're going duck hunting with Vice President Cheney."

I won't even get into the ridiculous "Clinton left a surplus" that the lefty parrots like to cackle about - as if the government was somehow anything but indirectly responsible for the birth of a new investment class and the dawn of the information age. To say nothing of the "Enron scale" accounting that has been going on for 30 years and continues today.

"All War All the Time"

"Wanting Business to Play by the Rules" - implying that conservatives don't.

"Rob a gas station with a .22 and face ten to fifteen in a state prison. Break every business law in the book and steal two or three hundred million as a corporate CEO or CFO, and you're going duck hunting with Vice President Cheney."

I won't even get into the ridiculous "Clinton left a surplus" that the lefty parrots like to cackle about - as if the government was somehow anything but indirectly responsible for the birth of a new investment class and the dawn of the information age.  To say nothing of the "Enron scale" accounting that has been going on for 30 years and continues today.

241681[/snapback]

I suppose you do have a point. But as a man once said in a great movie, "If I die, it ain't gonna' be from a lack of shootin' back!"

I suppose you do have a point. But as a man once said in a great movie, "If I die, it ain't gonna' be from a lack of shootin' back!"

241709[/snapback]

Meaning that you can't be part of the solution, so instead be part of the problem. This is what the politicos in Washington count on as they continue to rob us all blind. Thanks for being their tool.

Thieves, child-molesters, and rapists know what they want too. It doesn't validate their positions...

241629[/snapback]

Thieves -want something that isn't theirs. The Left generally espouses socialism/communism i.e giving people something that isn't theirs. Ergo thieves represent The Left.

Child-molesters- unable to control their deviant sexual impulses. The Left generally espouse showing "tolerance" for those unable to control their deviant sexual impulses. Ergo child-molesters represent The Left.

Rapists- A combination of a Thief (takes sex that wasn't offered) and child-molester (while children don't have to be involved with a rapist, the rapist is still unable to control his/her deviant sexual impulses). Ergo a rapist represents The Left.

By golly, PiA pretty much proved that The Left knows what it wants too! Good job!

Meaning that you can't be part of the solution, so instead be part of the problem.  This is what the politicos in Washington count on as they continue to rob us all blind.  Thanks for being their tool.

241714[/snapback]

I don't recall saying that I would not be part of the solution. Dialogue and discourse are always part of the solution. Why don't you run for office and stop trying to trash everything I say?

Thieves -want something that isn't theirs. The Left generally espouses socialism/communism i.e giving people something that isn't theirs. Ergo thieves represent The Left.

Child-molesters- unable to control their deviant sexual impulses. The Left generally espouse showing "tolerance" for those unable to control their deviant sexual impulses. Ergo child-molesters represent The Left.

Rapists- A combination of a Thief (takes sex that wasn't offered) and child-molester (while children don't have to be involved with a rapist, the rapist is still unable to control his/her deviant sexual impulses). Ergo a rapist represents The Left.

By golly, PiA pretty much proved that The Left knows what it wants too! Good job!

241726[/snapback]

:rolleyes::lol::lol:

I don't recall saying that I would not be part of the solution.

That's correct. I said it.

Dialogue and discourse are always part of the solution.

So dialogue and discourse is part of the solution but when someone disagrees with you (especially when they use actual facts instead of rhetoric) they're "trashing everything you say?" Uh, OK.

Why don't you run for office?

241727[/snapback]

I have no interest in being a politician. That should be pretty obvious.

I love threads all about soundbytes.  It's what makes American politics the clusterfug that it is.

And around the first bend of the rollercoaster we go...

240162[/snapback]

AD I tried to make clear in the first sentence of my post that I have major problems with repubs, from the top, to the local level. Their policy on labor is chief among them.

What I was trying to illustrate is that the dems are in awful shape, what their party consists of to a very large degree, and who their "leaders" are.

I was NOT singing the praise of repubs, was I?

AD I tried to make clear in the first sentence of my post that I have major problems with repubs, from the top, to the local level. Their policy on labor is chief among them.

What I was trying to illustrate is that the dems are in awful shape, what their party consists of to a very large degree, and who their "leaders" are.

I was NOT singing the praise of repubs, was I?

241868[/snapback]

Not directly.

There are gigantic flaws in both parties but currently the Republicans are having more success at election time so their supporters tend to give them a pass. Eventually, the "we're going to arrest and fine you for showing your skivvies" arm that is so pervasive is going to help the Democrats close the current gap.

This is cleary the "watch out what you wish for, you just might get it" phase.

I have to say I enjoy listening to "Err Moronica" on the way into work in the morning. I didn't think it was possible to be as idiotic as Michael Savage but they're doing their level best to get there.

Until the populous starts holding their Congressional Reps accountable for what's going on, nothing is really going to change.

>>>This is cleary the "watch out what you wish for, you just might get it" phase.<<<

I fully agree with this. What I DO hope is that Bush will be able to place a "Bork" style judge on the Supreme Court before the repub majority fades.

241937[/snapback]

I'll take a pass on an a guy who believes that we should follow the original constructions of the framers, and does not see a right to privacy in the Constitution.

Still, Bork would be better than the 3-4 people we're likely to get, i.e., the mediocrity that will be able to get through the US Congress approval process (see e.g., Clarence Thomas).