NFL Fighting Against Using Vines and GIFs of Game Action

I'd be happy if they would stop the major websites (nfl.com, fox, cbs, espn, etc) from having videos autoplayed. At work some sites are not supposed to be visited due to the video bandwidth and I needed to strip out as many video formats as I could out of Chrome but I can not stop all. The gifs and mini-clips used by vine have very small bandwidths.

I can't stand the ads that autoplay and don't have a mute/pause button. NFL.com is guilty of this quite a bit. I will have to try out The Wiz's advice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand the ads that autoplay and don't have a mute/pause button. NFL.com is guilty of this quite a bit. I will have to try out The Wiz's advice.

It's even more annoying when they have ten different video boxes and you have to scroll all over the place to identify the one that is running. Blocking them is the only solution.

There's actually a better way instead of blocking everything. You can follow those same steps and instead of picking "Let me choose when to run plugin content" you can click "Manage Exceptions" type in the website main url (www.nfl.com) and select block. You can still run the video by right clicking on it and clicking "Run this plugin".

Can't yall just mute your PC or plug a pair of headphones into your computer?

I do have headphones, there are just certain situations that work out to be very annoying and a simple mute/pause button would be great. It used to be there, and I think it annoys me more that they removed it to force you to listen to it more than anything. If you want to mute them you have to do it manually through the volume settings or leave the page. I think that is pretty unnecessary, I'll listen to your damn ad, when I decide to damnit!

There's actually a better way instead of blocking everything. You can follow those same steps and instead of picking "Let me choose when to run plugin content" you can click "Manage Exceptions" type in the website main url (www.nfl.com) and select block. You can still run the video by right clicking on it and clicking "Run this plugin".

Thank you!!

This is assuming they want better informed fans.

The better informed the fan, the more he realizes the commentators are wrong a lot and the more he questions penalties and sees certain star players as overrated. I think the NFL's goal is to keep fans as uneducated about the game as possible.

Exactly right...

I'm certain it's vines like this one the NFL is trying to get rid of most of all...It exposes the truth...And the truth is this game is terribly officiated...And yes, there is tremendous bias at times...It's the freaking Wizard Of Oz...

https://vine.co/v/OZPdYbbd3wF

Edited by KOKBILLS

Exactly right...

I'm certain it's vines like this one the NFL is trying to get rid of most of all...It exposes the truth...And the truth is this game is terribly officiated...And yes, there is tremendous bias at times...It's the freaking Wizard Of Oz...

https://vine.co/v/OZPdYbbd3wF

He turned his head around would be the only reasoning I can think of for no PI but was making plenty of contact while the ball was in the air which should have been a flag for illegal contact.

Edited by The Wiz

He turned his head around would be the only reasoning I can think of for no PI but was making plenty of contact while the ball was in the air which should have been a flag for illegal contact.

Remember this was in that time period early last year when the illegal contact calls were being enforced heavy...They made a HUGE point of it leading into the season...If nothing else it was clearly illegal contact...He bumps Woods back shoulder to re-route him three times after 5 yards...I really think it's about as clear as you can get...Blatant is the word I used most to describe it at the time...

Point being I don't see how anything that obvious gets missed unless you want to miss it...Or unless the refs are completely incompetent...And I only saw the end of the play live...Were it not for that vine I would have never known...I think the NFL realizes it's vines and replays like that one that are exposing huge issues with officiating...And, in their opinion it's tarnishing the shield...So instead of taking the necessary steps to improve these terrible calls and no-calls they'll just ban the vines and replays... B-)

Remember this was in that time period early last year when the illegal contact calls were being enforced heavy...They made a HUGE point of it leading into the season...If nothing else it was clearly illegal contact...He bumps Woods back shoulder to re-route him three times after 5 yards...I really think it's about as clear as you can get...Blatant is the word I used most to describe it at the time...

Point being I don't see how anything that obvious gets missed unless you want to miss it...Or unless the refs are completely incompetent...And I only saw the end of the play live...Were it not for that vine I would have never known...I think the NFL realizes it's vines and replays like that one that are exposing huge issues with officiating...And, in their opinion it's tarnishing the shield...So instead of taking the necessary steps to improve these terrible calls and no-calls they'll just ban the vines and replays... B-)

I agree with everything you said. The thing is that these vines and tweets are only being "banned" by major media outlets. There's no stopping someone from doing an all-22 review of there own, tweeting it out and then one of them retweeting it. At least not yet.

I agree with everything you said. The thing is that these vines and tweets are only being "banned" by major media outlets. There's no stopping someone from doing an all-22 review of there own, tweeting it out and then one of them retweeting it. At least not yet.

Not yet. Cease and desist letters scare the crap out of your average person.

Not yet. Cease and desist letters scare the crap out of your average person.

Right. Which is why people will start making vines of the live broadcast and not the all-22. NFL controls the all-22. The stations that are airing the game are responsible for someone recording their tv.

Although I'm sure that falls under article 42, section 128, subsection A-32582348.

Edited by The Wiz

You would think that this might be the NFL still being bitter about the blackout ruling.

You can disable auto play in chrome by changing your settings.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2858421/how-to-stop-autoplay-videos.html

Granted it disables it for all websites. I tend to use one browser for work and another for "work".

I did that already but some websites use some weird settings and I still see some videos.