What if the league only had 3 or 4 refs on the field?

dayman

I have been thinking about the flag situation, and some of the issues are actually pretty tough if you think closely about them. Especially in an age of television, dvr, replay, etc. Of course it is easy to tell refs to just call the obvious stuff, but what is obvious and provides an advantage is a tough call. Especially in close games. Rules for a game like football are tough.

So a quick wikipedia search surprised me, there are 7 refs on the field. 7. Just take 3 of them away.

Thoughts?

I just want to point out, if there weren't 7 refs on the field tonight, that meaningless touch of the football could have happened and been recorded and replayed with no ref watching it right there and been a perfect noncall with the right result reached and no real controvercy.

i think they should have more refs to be honest but have them specialize in area. they currently kind of do but id rather have more but they can only call plays on there specific area so they just pay attention to the area they are supposed to be paying attention to. also have certain penalties able to be reviewed as well.

it will never be perfect but they could do much more to be better.

i think they should have more refs to be honest but have them specialize in area. they currently kind of do but id rather have more but they can only call plays on there specific area so they just pay attention to the area they are supposed to be paying attention to. also have certain penalties able to be reviewed as well.

The review thing is rough. I watched a CFL game last summer. It was weird to have the flow stopped for an appeal on PI. The big deal about PI is that it helps the offense far more often than the defense. That is something the NFL is willing to live with, especially if it helps with the flow of the game. If they start reviewing penalties, football games will begin to rival the last few innings of a baseball game. We see enough lame commercials during a game.

The NFL should have one ref in a La-Z-Boy with a beer and chips in front of a big screen. I bet he'd see more fouls than the refs on the field.

I think more "eye in the sky" could really help on some of these plays, but we fans can like us some tin-foil-hat. The first time a call gets changed based on the "eye" we will be comparing it to the Russian dude overseeing the officials at the '72 Olympics.

I like the idea of less refs. At the same time, get rid of instant replay. What does it solve really? We still got controversies and it takes too much time.

The real answer IMHO is to simplify the rules. Throw out the dumb ones and simplify the others to take subjectivity out of it. For example, if a player catches the football and takes 2 steps, it's a catch. No football move whatever that is or the process of the catch whatever that is.

There isn't enough room Now for 29 people on the field.

I'm almost wondering if it would be better to have robots out there. "Refbots" would be at least as accurate, and with the benefit of being cheaper and unbiased.

GIGO

And don't you think the NFL could program them to help certain teams? As a programmer, I know I could.

The real answer IMHO is to simplify the rules. Throw out the dumb ones and simplify the others to take subjectivity out of it. For example, if a player catches the football and takes 2 steps, it's a catch. No football move whatever that is or the process of the catch whatever that is.

Yes yes yes! I have been an advocate of this for some time.

Robotic Refs?? All cameras all the time with a 360 degree view.

Not so much robots, but all kinds of camera feeds to computers in the box with software analyzing the play in real time and signaling to a ref on the field when it detects penalties is actually feasible with the state of technology today. And the NFL certainly has the funds to develop such a system. Of course then the cheatriats could hack the system to gain an advantage ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey