Bills starting games with great play calling

YoloinOhio

Another thing that I believe is that as each week goes by a little more will be installed and the players will become more and more familiar with the offense and will be thinking less and executing better and faster.

Add into that that Tyrod is basically learning all the nuances of being a starting QB week to week, and we haven't been fully healthy yet. There is a real possibility we have only seen the tip of what this offense can be, and it could really be something much better near the end of the regular season.

Agreed. I'm actually scared to see what this offense will look like when everyone is fully healthy...if we can even make it to that point...

Scripting plays is far from new or unique to the NFL. Walsh was doing it in the 80's with great success.

I can remember that. Every single time the 9ers would be on TV the announcer would show us how smart he was and how revolutionary the 9ers were because "You, know that 9ers know exactly what they are doing. Did you know they script the first 15 plays of every game?" It was almost laughable how predictable and "colorless" the color commentators got. It was almost as bad as some of Madden's maddening explanations. "Yes, John, we heard you tell us that one last year and every year of the last two decades!"

Another thing that I believe is that as each week goes by a little more will be installed and the players will become more and more familiar with the offense and will be thinking less and executing better and faster.

Add into that that Tyrod is basically learning all the nuances of being a starting QB week to week, and we haven't been fully healthy yet. There is a real possibility we have only seen the tip of what this offense can be, and it could really be something much better near the end of the regular season.

I think you make two excellent points. You don't learn Romans full offense in one off season. You don't go from clipboard holder to weekly starter w/o some growing pains.

That's the point - they're still just learning this offense. Contrast that to the NE match up in week two - which the opposition had three extra days to prepare for. They can run that offense in their sleep 'cause they've been largely running it for over a decade. I look forward to the rematch.

I'm glad I was at that game so had no clue what was happening on that play.

Just a hunch, but I think it had something to do with Matt Cassel's contract. He might have only re-signed if he were allowed to start the first game. Probably had something to do with an incentive clause, and they humored him. Two weeks later - they shipped him out.

That's the point - they're still just learning this offense. Contrast that to the NE match up in week two - which the opposition had three extra days to prepare for. They can run that offense in their sleep 'cause they've been largely running it for over a decade. I look forward to the rematch.

Just a hunch, but I think it had something to do with Matt Cassel's contract. He might have only re-signed if he were allowed to start the first game. Probably had something to do with an incentive clause, and they humored him. Two weeks later - they shipped him out.

Wouldn't it be funny to find out he had an incentive clause with an endorsement deal which required that he be the Week 1 starter, especially for an endorsement deal with a business in the Minnesota market!

Amen. But you also have to be given the resources to make it work. Thank you Terry and Doug.

I know I have read here that the past teams Bills teams have had bad players, and is a big reason as to why all those teams were bad.

Jauron's teams played hard, and were in a lot of close games they lost! In 2006 for example the Bills finished 7-9, and lost five games by three points or less. Plus his teams looked like they usually lost half the starters to injuries every year.

Perhaps its just me, I can't help but think that if only Jauron, Gailey, Marrone had hired qualified NFL offensive coordinators that all those teams over all those years would have done so much better then they did.

Greg Roman is the first "real" NFL offensive coordinator the Buffalo Bills had have in ten years, and he is excellent at his job so far!