Simple Analysis of the Bledsoe/JP Saga

Mike F

The Bills management must feel like Drew had taken the Bills as far as he can (due to many factors, primarily age and declining skills). The most revealing statement on that fact is that the Bills had the #2 Defense and the #1 Special Teams Unit in 2004, yet, they were only 9-7 (after a horrid start).

The offense was better in the second half, but that was due to Willis McGahee's emergence, more then anything Drew did differently, IMO.

So, why not save a decent amount of money towards the salary cap and allow the "QB of the future" to get some playing time? Another year of Drew would probably result in a similar record for the Bills, compared to 2004. But, isn't the goal to win championships (instead of finishing .500)?

Plus, it puts JP's developement back another year, too (affecting 2006 and beyond).

JP has the ability to be as good as the 2004 version of Drew, and possibly better (his athletic ability is off the charts). His mobility alone will make the the offense more dangerous and it will actually help the OLine (since JP is a more elusive target.....remember how Flutie's mobility made our offense more dangerous when he was here).

And, with Willis around, JP will not have as much pressure to carry the load on Offense by himself.

Will the Bills be better in 2005? I think they can be...........especially with a full year of Willis (at 100% finally) and a similar showing from the D and ST. I don't see them being any worse, record wise, even if JP struggles a little bit.

So, if overall performance potential is equal, with the possibility of being much better (now and in the future), you make the move and use the savings to address other areas of need.

I say "good job, TD and Co." :devil:

Mike

JP has the ability to be as good as the 2004 version of Drew, and possibly better (his athletic ability is off the charts).

He also has the ability to be worse than Drew.

You know what that says? It says we have no idea what JPL can do for us next year. All this speculation of his upside is just that, speculation. Everyone thought Leaf would be good. Guess what? First round players can be busts.

The grass always looks greener on the other side. If JPL starts, I sure hope that the grass really is.

CW

You know what that says?  It says we have no idea what JPL can do for us next year.  All this speculation of his upside is just that, speculation.  Everyone thought Leaf would be good.  Guess what?  First round players can be busts.

The grass always looks greener on the other side.  If JPL starts, I sure hope that the grass really is.

CW

238897[/snapback]

So do I

You know what that says?  It says we have no idea what JPL can do for us next year.  All this speculation of his upside is just that, speculation.  Everyone thought Leaf would be good.  Guess what?  First round players can be busts.

The grass always looks greener on the other side.  If JPL starts, I sure hope that the grass really is.

CW

238897[/snapback]

True words CW. We have no idea how this is going to go--your words apply to fan's evaluation of just about every personnel move made by a team.

I will add one caveat. I believe this is a coaching staff decision--with blessing from Ralph and TD. The coaches who had input are Mularkey, Clements and Wyche. I have a lot more faith in those three than say--Gregg Williams, Steve Kragthorpe (who has turned out to be a good college coach) and Mike Sheppard...

Those who will claim that TD is doing this to justify his investment in JP, fail to reference that he is inturn saying his #1 investment in Drew was not worth it. TD wants to win--I don't think he cares much about who he wins with or how they came to the team. This is a huge risk--one that could ultimately cost him his job..but then again every QB move in NFL history had a coach and GM's future at risk...

So I broke my lenten pledge not to post on Drew/JP threads--bless me father for I have sinned.

I think the thing that bugs some of us is that (in the perfect Bills World) JP and Drew would compete (The Competition) for the job and JP would win THEN the Bills could keep Drew or release him.

Of course even in this PERFECT scenario, Drew would cost us more since his bonus kicks in on March 2 (prior the the competition I spoke of)

The premise that Drew should take a paycut prior to The Competition is unreasonable. Why should he take a paycut if he's the starter? Plus, by taking a paycut he has to admit he is a backup prior to his losing the job.

All this points to the now obvious future: Drew gets cut next week.

I agree with those who are worried about JP - he has proven absolutely nothing yet at the NFL level. Or has he? The coaches have seen him in practice and the scouts in college games. They are obviously of the opinion that JP was worth the trade up and is now worth the risk of wasting a playoff year (potentially) while he "grows up".

There is nothing left for us fans but to hope and wait. meanwhile, I'd like to see the extra $$ saved by releasing Drew and reworking some more contracts to shore up the offensive line, extend Clements, and/or sign Williams and Jennings. Maybe sign a new TE?

At least this boring offseason isn't because the Bills have no money (like three years ago). Its because the Bills have few needs.

Plus, there is still the Travis trade to wait for.

San Diego is likely going to go with Phillip Rivers and try to trade Breeze. Pittsburgh went with Roethlesburger, Cincy went with Carson Palmer last year, the Giants have made the switch to Manning. Bledsoe has had plenty of chances to prove his worth and he hasn't done it. Keeping him will hold our offense back. I have a good feeling about this move. Sam Wyche must see something in Losman to be willing to let Bledsoe go. Some things can be fixed and some things can't. They must have felt Bledsoe was not going to get them to the next level. I bet people were saying similar things when Wyche went with a young KID named Boomer.

I think the thing that bugs some of us is that (in the perfect Bills World) JP and Drew would compete (The Competition) for the job and JP would win THEN the Bills could keep Drew or release him.

Of course even in this PERFECT scenario, Drew would cost us more since his bonus kicks in on March 2 (prior the the competition I spoke of)

The premise that Drew should take a paycut prior to The Competition is unreasonable. Why should he take a paycut if he's the starter? Plus, by taking a paycut he has to admit he is a backup prior to his losing the job.

All this points to the now obvious future: Drew gets cut next week.

I agree with those who are worried about JP - he has proven absolutely nothing yet at the NFL level. Or has he? The coaches have seen him in practice and the scouts in college games. They are obviously of the opinion that JP was worth the trade up and is now worth the risk of wasting a playoff year (potentially) while he "grows up".

There is nothing left for us fans but to hope and wait. meanwhile, I'd like to see the extra $$ saved by releasing Drew and reworking some more contracts to shore up the offensive line, extend Clements, and/or sign Williams and Jennings. Maybe sign a new TE?

At least this boring offseason isn't because the Bills have no money (like three years ago). Its because the Bills have few needs. 

Plus, there is still the Travis trade to wait for.

238928[/snapback]

I still think that another veteran will be brought in for "competition" and the bills will tote that line even if they plan on starting Losman......

The question is....who?

I still think that another veteran will be brought in for "competition" and the bills will tote that line even if they plan on starting Losman......

The question is....who?

238947[/snapback]

I think there will be two John--they won't draft in '05 or '06 QB unless JP proves to be a horrible student these first few months of '05 or has a terrible fall and winter this season.

One guess I would have is Kordella.....eeeeeeekkkkkkk--but he would be #3...I think Holcomb, Feidler, Maddox, Kitna (the last three if available) will top our lists. All guys who won't put extreme pressure to start (unlike a Garcia or Warner) but could do the job if needed.

BTW, this probably means the $2.2 million in cap savings from Drew is a wash--because we need to fill two QB spots with those $'s.

Coach Mike will have to rely on the running game now that his hands are tied unless we find a capable, veteran QB who doesn't mind being the backup.

The defense will be here for one more year and we won't have to rely on JP to win games. The onus will be on him not to lose them.

Sadly, if we don't make the playoffs this year, we could be facing a drought for years to come. Gray will more than prob be gone after this season. Adams contract is up too.