My 10 cents on the game.

BmarvB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear, I don't think TT is inaccurate. Or that he isn't playing very very well.

But I'd like to point out his completion percentage is inflated, or rather, not deflated. TT's escapability from pressure in the pocket directly decreases his attempts. Especially his attempts that are essentially throwaways. He can rush for 1-20 yards when nothing is open and the pressure is there, rather than having to throw the ball away like most of the other QB's in the league. This directly correlates to having a higher completion percentage.

so you are saying stats lie?

Please TT Super Fans, relax a bit. TT's doing good, but there is no way he is one of THE top 5 QB's in the NFL right now.

Stats lie - meaning that are misleading and can be manipulated as Fire Chan pointed out.

Factor in every escape move TT runs and add those to missed throws, you might find the completion % drop to the mid to high 60's.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Like Jim Kelly used to do sometimes?

I honestly don't remember if Kelly missed high with regularity. But that's really irrelevant to the conversation: 1) even if he did, that was a major flaw in his game, not a strong suit; and 2) Tyrod Taylor has played exactly three games. Let's not start with the Jim Kelly comparisons quite yet.

It's beyond reasonable to critique the flaws in Tyrod's game, especially since they proved fatal against New England. These are things he is going to need to fix.

Now, with that said: Tyrod, in a very limited sample size, has shown that he can be a dynamic game changer.

I'd like to see him get those throws down, and show more consistent pocket presence like he did in the Miami game. If he does that, we just might have something here. If he doesn't? Well... I'll just say that we won't win too many games where he throws three interceptions, fumbles twice, and causes himself to be sacked 5 times.

Keep in mind the guy is only in his 3rd start. He's going to have his ups and downs. Right now, he's more up than down. Yeah he misses high on occasions, why should he be any different from any other QB who does it? It's part of the learning process.

Keep in mind the guy is only in his 3rd start. He's going to have his ups and downs. Right now, he's more up than down. Yeah he misses high on occasions, why should he be any different from any other QB who does it? It's part of the learning process.

Again, it's not that he misses, everyone misses: Brady****, Manning, Rodgers, they all miss, it's how he misses.

He needs to get his throws down. When you miss high, you often get intercepted and get your receivers killed.

This is a legitimate criticism of Tyrod's game. He absolutely needs to get better in that area.

4) So far, so good for TT. I like this guy. Our QB situation is not as bad as it was initially made out to be.

I still am not sold on this guy yet. He has flashes, but still not super accurate

Not super accurate? Have you been watching the games? He's at 74.4 completion % for the season.

To be clear, I don't think TT is inaccurate. Or that he isn't playing very very well.

But I'd like to point out his completion percentage is inflated, or rather, not deflated. TT's escapability from pressure in the pocket directly decreases his attempts. Especially his attempts that are essentially throwaways. He can rush for 1-20 yards when nothing is open and the pressure is there, rather than having to throw the ball away like most of the other QB's in the league. This directly correlates to having a higher completion percentage.

Are you serious? This kid is the real deal. There aren't many QBs in the league I would trade him for. He is right now a top 10 QB and he is only going to get better.

Again, it's not that he misses, everyone misses: Brady****, Manning, Rodgers, they all miss, it's how he misses.

He needs to get his throws down. When you miss high, you often get intercepted and get your receivers killed.

This is a legitimate criticism of Tyrod's game. He absolutely needs to get better in that area.

Agreed, and again, that's part of the learning process for a guy in only his 3rd start. He'll get there. :thumbsup:

Are you serious? This kid is the real deal. There aren't many QBs in the league I would trade him for. He is right now a top 10 QB and he is only going to get better.

I'm not saying he's bad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Tyrod was less mobile, he might have a completion percentage of ~68%. That would be selling him short, because his true completion percentage would be higher. Because he has throwaways.

That's an absurd thing to say at this point in his playing career.

He's had some flashes of brilliance, and there are certainly things to get excited about, but he has some major holes in his game that need to get corrected before anyone should anoint him as anything other than "Buffalo's starting QB in Week 4".

He doesn't have very good pocket presence (he ran himself into 5 sacks in week 2, hung in the pocket at times when he shouldn't, exited the pocket when he should have stepped up into it, and was poor enough at sensing pressure that he was strip-sacked twice), he's slow to hit his reads on the side of the field away from his primary read (he's getting beyond being a 2 read guy, to his credit, but open back side routes, and routes at different levels that his primary read are still being missed regularly), and he misses high far too often (those throws lead to interceptions and injuries to his receivers).

He's had some flashes of brilliance, and there are certainly things to get excited about, but he has some major holes in his game that need to get corrected before anyone should anoint him as anything other than "Buffalo's starting QB in Week 4".

He doesn't have very good pocket presence (he ran himself into 5 sacks in week 2, hung in the pocket at times when he shouldn't, exited the pocket when he should have stepped up into it, and was poor enough at sensing pressure that he was strip-sacked twice), he's slow to hit his reads on the side of the field away from his primary read (he's getting beyond being a 2 read guy, to his credit, but open back side routes, and routes at different levels that his primary read are still being missed regularly), and he misses high far too often (those throws lead to interceptions and injuries to his receivers).

Meh. You predicted he would suck and was wrong 2 out of 3 games.

Eli, Peyton and others sail high balls all the time.

Let's get a bigger sample size before we do this.

Like Jim Kelly used to do sometimes?

Yep, he threw int's like hotcakes sometimes

What in the world are you guys arguing about? Tyrod Taylor is awesome.

That Ej handoff though >>>> Edited by Ryan L Billz

9) Jury still out on the run defense, nobody's really testing them in the trenches. But then again, Miami's O-line is not very good. I wonder if Tannehill's still soaking in the tub after that onslaught.

Tanne looked like his uniform was from a different team by the end of the game! I'd look at the screen and go "Wait, how'd a Cleveland player get on the field!" :)

Meh. You predicted he would suck and was wrong 2 out of 3 games.

Let me preface this by saying that I'll be thrilled to be wrong. It's been far too long since we've had "The Guy" at QB, and I'd love for that long, agonizing search to be over. I also love Tyrod's character, and his leadership. He's exciting to watch, and he's easy to root for.

However, none of this makes him better than he is: which is unproven, and prone to major game changing errors. He has large holes in his game which he desperately needs to correct. He was OK in game one, horrible in game two, and (admittedly prior to watching the All-22, which may change things) fantastic in game three. Tyrod's flaws are exactly what I said they are: He doesn't have very good pocket presence, and he's slow to hit his reads on the side of the field away from his primary read (admittedly he's gotten better with getting past his second reads, but still isn't locating wide open receivers away from his primary side, which leads me to believe he's only reading half the field. ) And he's added to those two another which I hadn't known existed: he misses high far too often.

He has to fix those flaws before he should be considered a top 10-15 guy, because those flaws will lose us games, just like they did in week two.

Let me preface this by saying that I'll be thrilled to be wrong. It's been far too long since we've had "The Guy" at QB, and I'd love for that long, agonizing search to be over. I also love Tyrod's character, and his leadership. He's exciting to watch, and he's easy to root for.

However, none of this makes him better than he is: which is unproven, and prone to major game changing errors. He has large holes in his game which he desperately needs to correct. He was OK in game one, horrible in game two, and (admittedly prior to watching the All-22, which may change things) fantastic in game three. Tyrod's flaws are exactly what I said they are: He doesn't have very good pocket presence, and he's slow to hit his reads on the side of the field away from his primary read (admittedly he's gotten better with getting past his second reads, but still isn't locating wide open receivers away from his primary side, which leads me to believe he's only reading half the field. ) And he's added to those two another which I hadn't known existed: he misses high far too often.

He has to fix those flaws before he should be considered a top 10-15 guy, because those flaws will lose us games, just like they did in week two.

It's not a form-judging contest. "I'll give him an 8.5 there". Pocket presence, reads, who effin cares.

Dude scored 100 points in 3 games at the helm - I say it's all about that.

It's not a form-judging contest. "I'll give him an 8.5 there". Pocket presence, reads, who effin cares.

Dude scored 100 points in 3 games at the helm - I say it's all about that.

Well then, you'd be wrong. It's more than that, because three games is far too small a statistical sample size to declare Tyrod to be the long term answer, much less a top tier quarterback. It's not simply about scoring points, and the plays you do make; it's even more about the points you left on the field, and the plays you didn't make and what caused you not to make those plays.

There were lots of plays that Tyrod did not make in week two. The plays he did not make wound up costing us that game. He did not make those plays because he has poor pocket presence: he ran himself into five sack and two fumbles, and missed many down field opportunities because he did not step up into the pocket when he should have. He did not make those plays because he doesn't yet get through his entire progression: his inability to read the whole field prevented him from making a go-ahead TD throw in the 4th quarter. He did not make those plays because his high throws, three of them, were all intercepted.

His play early in the game guaranteed us that we would be playing from behind against the defending Super Bowl Champions, and his play late in the game prevented us from overcoming his early play.

This isn't about "form-judging". It's about wins and losses, and the type of play that leads to one of the other. So far Taylor has shown enough of the former that it's reasonable to get excited about what we might have, but he's also shown enough of the latter that it's completely unreasonable to anoint him as anything other than the week four starter, because his hole, unless he closes them, will cost us more wins.

As I've said before, Tyrod shows flashes of absolute brilliance, but that's all they are: flashes. Let's see him make the necessary improvements, and keep growing so he doesn't cost us games. Then let's see him doing it consistently for a few seasons before we all get in line to swing on his nuts.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Wha? That's like saying Tom Brady's completion percentage is inflated because he plays for a good team, or has a good arm....

Aaron Rodgers % numbers are inflated because he is mobile.....

The numbers are the numbers. If his escapability makes his numbers better, bravo! Brady's pocket presence and quick decision-making make his numbers better. It's all part of the game at that position.