An open letter to EJ Fans

section122

If Tyrod stinks and we're losing we shouldn't hesitate to give someone else a chance. Its about giving the Bills the best chance to win, nothing else. Loyalty in the NFL is an illusion. Same would go for EJ or anyone really

where have I heard that before?

I think it depends on how Tyrod actually looks. EJ was certainly not good last season, but really wasn't as bad as the revisionist history says. I wasn't in favor of pulling him that soon, but I did see the argument, especially factoring in EJ's terrible 2014 preseason and Orton's hot start once taking over. Taylor (and Manuel!) had a good to great preseason, so that buys him some time in and of itself. If he comes out and is absolutely abysmal in the first 2-3 games - like a joke of a QB or something - then all bets are off in terms of benching. I don't see that happening. If Tyrod plays like 2014 EJ (not good overall, but with some ups and downs), then I'd be inclined to give him a decent while before making a move. One thing I'd like to see in that scenario is a trend of improvement as the season goes on. With Tyrod's lack of experience and lack of practice time with the backs & receivers, he *should* get better the more he plays. (Ditto EJ.) That was one of the things that bothered me about Orton last year - he got worse as the year went on. Shouldn't a guy who missed all of camp improve as he gets used to the offensive scheme and receivers?

with this schedule the Bills s/b 5-3 by mid season. if not switch QB's if it looks like there is no improvement.

WRT EJ he was 2-2 last season. Horton hears a who was barely over .500.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the "realists" would support EJ? :lol:

Personally I'm fine with TT starting.

Doesn't matter who's under center. I root for The Bills.

Do you really think there are people who are such devoted fans of a football team that they spend countless hours a week on this website, that would not root for or "support" the QB of said football team if he was playing well and that football team was winning football games? When are you guys going to understand that this isn't personal? I am in the camp of people who are ardent Buffalo Bills fans, believe that there is a less than 50% chance that EJ Manuel develops into a franchise QB but would be thrilled if he did. Is anyone else in that camp?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I am an EJ guy but am rooting on Tyrod as he proved enough to me in his final showing against the Steelers he might be able to be a good enough passer to get things done. I won't deny he's a better than EJ as a runner. That said Tyrod has some limitations and they worry me. The first is his lack of height which think hurts him inside the redzone. I als worry what's going to happen when teams bottle him up and they take away his first read. Last but not least his lack of NFL experience. I've said it a few times but this whole situation reminds me of 1998 when we were gearing up with a young upstart QB by the name of Rob Johnson yet RJ had a better track record going in. Does anyone remember RJ's first two starts against San Diego and Miami? They were ugly and I say that as a guy who rooted for RJ. Now RJ did get better as the season went on until getting hurt enough that Flutie got hot and the rest as they say was history. I am only going to call for Tyrod to get benched if we go 0-2 and if Tyrod shows he can't complete 60% of his passes and/or costs us a few TDs in the redzone that end up costing us wins or starts throwing picks. I know it seems like a really short leash but losing two Conference home games to start the season is going to severely hamper our playoff aspirations.

Wholeheartedly agree. Like I stated in previous posts. As long as we make the playoffs whoever it is under center gets my support. I will still rock my EJ jersey proudly, as I believe he can, and will be the future in Buffalo.

Satan (an no I don't mean Miroslav) can play QB if he can get us an 11-5 record and a playoff berth.

next season after seeing the postseason we can hope for someone less evil.

Go Tyrod, may the wins follow your leadership!

Edited by KRT88

I think this sort of thing is pathetic. I'm a Bills fan.

Is pathetic better or worse than Idiotic?

where have I heard that before?

with this schedule the Bills s/b 5-3 by mid season. if not switch QB's if it looks like there is no improvement.

WRT EJ he was 2-2 last season. Horton hears a who was barely over .500.

Agree with both replies but....you do know that 2-2 is .500 right?

You have already emoji bowed down to another guy in this thread for insisting that people wouldn't support EJ if he was the Bills QB and playing well but now YOU have had enough. Got it.

Yes, just like you have stated a couple dozen times loose quote "You are done arguing the QB issue".

TT is the starter. Next!!!

Is pathetic better or worse than Idiotic?

Agree with both replies but....you do know that 2-2 is .500 right?

ummmm carry the 1... Yup. Got it!

The better chance to win got the Bills a whole game over .500. And I won't even mention the pseudo freebee from the Putz.

Que the trash talk for saying so.

Yes, just like you have stated a couple dozen times loose quote "You are done arguing the QB issue".

TT is the starter. Next!!!

ummmm carry the 1... Yup. Got it!

The better chance to win got the Bills a whole game over .500. And I won't even mention the pseudo freebee from the Putz.

Que the trash talk for saying so.

Coming from the guy who in another thread an hour ago suggested that if Taylor has a breakout season that the Bills should trade him after the season for a first round draft pick and start Manuel next season. But yes agreed, let's move on.

I will admit . E.J. outplayed every Qb on our roster,but he wasn`t Rexies pick. He has memories when he played horrible against the jets. He made as much progress as any young Qb could. Got hosed.

I agree, as I don't think he could have played any better, and still lost out to the unknown. You need to understand there is a certain amount of opposition in the Bills FO to EJ even being on the team from what the insiders have stated. However I do think that because of Rex Ryan that EJ is even still with the team.

If the first two guys don't win then EJ will get a chance.

ABC. I don't care if Bryce Petty quits the Jests and comes over to take kneel downs every play. My Sundays will be ruined if I have to watch Meh friggin Cassel check down in his best Trent Backwards impersonation. I too root for the laundry, but when that laundry has the stink of New England all over it, I get a bit perturbed. Meh is not running the ball, he is not tricking anyone into thinking he is running the ball. Hes gonna stand in the pocket for 2.5 seconds - get sacked, maybe find his hot route or RB and the rest of the team will silently reduce their effort around him.

Imagine Rex pressers.. "Well, he did his best, but we feel like he gives us the best chance to win", bla bla blah.. I would be SO DONE WITH THIS TEAAM! Guy is beyond ground up and in the freezer. Gimme a young gun any day of the week.

ABC. I don't care if Bryce Petty quits the Jests and comes over to take kneel downs every play. My Sundays will be ruined if I have to watch Meh friggin Cassel check down in his best Trent Backwards impersonation. I too root for the laundry, but when that laundry has the stink of New England all over it, I get a bit perturbed. Meh is not running the ball, he is not tricking anyone into thinking he is running the ball. Hes gonna stand in the pocket for 2.5 seconds - get sacked, maybe find his hot route or RB and the rest of the team will silently reduce their effort around him.

Imagine Rex pressers.. "Well, he did his best, but we feel like he gives us the best chance to win", bla bla blah.. I would be SO DONE WITH THIS TEAAM! Guy is beyond ground up and in the freezer. Gimme a young gun any day of the week.

Don't stop there, you were just getting going.

Fine. His lifetime QBR sucks, his interception rate is low, just like his TD rate. His completion rate sucks, and he fumbles the ball more than Bryce Brown and FJax combined. There, I'm thru.....

And yet he still came in second in the QB competition. You believe that s**t?

Hahah, yes I do believe it. How else were they going to short change the guy 3 mil with similar responsibility.

You may or may not know that I am a Manuel fan. I banged the drum for him to get a chance, that the reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated. I argued with many posters who definitively proclaimed he would never be any good. I was ecstatic to see him play so well this preseason and EARN a spot on the roster. Nobody can say he didn't look much improved this preseason. I still believe he can be a very good qb in this league.

Now that I have said that I am going to ask for one thing (pie in the sky dream incoming)....

Support Tyrod with all of your might. Don't call for his benching after a bad pass, a bad series, or even a bad game. Don't turn into the type of poster we have had to rally against in defense of EJ. Tyrod is the starter and hopefully he proves to be the franchise qb we have all been looking for since Jimbo. I know the backup qb is the most popular guy cliche but please don't be those fans. Especially since Cassel is supposedly the number 2. We are 4 days away from the most exciting season in a while! Please don't turn into the posters we have rallied against for so long. Enjoy the ride, hope Tyrod is everything we want him to be (starting him over Stafford in a free fantasy league!), and be a Bills fan first!

Lets go Bills!!!!!

I'm not about to read this entire thread at this point in time. But if any BILLS fan isn't completely behind whoever is at QB for the Bills, well---they aren't really a Bills fan.

It's OK to have favorite players, or believe one guy should start over another. It's fine to think the coaches got it wrong. But the time for grumbling has passed.

I'm a BILLS fan. TT, Cassel, EJ---it doesn't matter. I want every one of them to excel.

And I truthfully believe there are only a couple of handful of fans here who don't fall into that same category. If they have a Bills uniform on, and aren't a completely horrible human, we root for them to succeed.

Try not to make too big of a deal about the morons who continue to push their QB crush, or bash a Bills QB, instead of standing behind the choices that have been made. They are few in number, and pitiful in spirit.