Can POTUS Draw a Red Line in Water?

Chinese naval vessels probed Alaskan waters recently. POTUS may threaten to think about considering formation of an international commission to discuss halting production of fortune cookies in response.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/04/politics/china-ships-alaska-us-waters/index.html?eref=edition

Sail On, Oh Ship of State.

Chinese naval vessels probed Alaskan waters recently. POTUS may threaten to think about considering formation of an international commission to discuss halting production of fortune cookies in response.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/04/politics/china-ships-alaska-us-waters/index.html?eref=edition

Sail On, Oh Ship of State.

I mentioned this in the China Exploding thread -- lots of stuff going on between the US and China behind the scenes right now. This is spillover from that.

In my mind at least.

I mentioned this in the China Exploding thread -- lots of stuff going on between the US and China behind the scenes right now. This is spillover from that.

In my mind at least.

No, it's not. The PLAN has been transitioning from a littoral to a blue-water force for some time now, this is just a natural progression of that. In fact, I have a book about China's naval ambitions, printed in 1999, that says "in the first three decades of the 21st century" the PLAN would "break out" of the Western Pacific and develop "capabilities for deep-ocean warfare." Looks like that book was dead-on accurate.

Plus...let's not overstate this. The "Alaska coast" includes such pleasure spots as Attu island, which about 1500 miles beyond the middle of nowhere. "The Chinese were of the Alaskan Coast when the President was there" is kind-of like saying the Chiefs and Niners play home games west of the Mississippi, so they must be near each other.

Does this mean that they'll be able to patrol their own trade routes?

Better question: Does our, unfortunately Obama-driven, inaction mean they will continue to develop a blue-sea navy?

Here's how this goes: Big ships cost big $, and take 5 years to build. They aren't going to build them today, with the expectation that they will be useful in 5 years, unless they have darn good reason to believe they can control the trade routes, which aren't "theirs" at all. The trade routes in question were created by both Europe and the Americas when China's "navy" was nothing more than sampans.

There is a legend of a single Chinese captain who sailed to the West Coast. But, that's a legend. Meanwhile the Spanish, Portuguese, English, French, Russians and USA actually charted and created the "trade routes"; reams of logs show documented evidence of this.

Your premise is so silly that it literally requires the Boxer Rebellion to be nonexistant. How did the various powers create the very spheres of influence the "boxers" rebelled against..if not for sailing the trade routes they created to get there, and thus, create their little fiefdoms in the first place? :wacko:

I love it when Democrats try to play intellectual. Shows just how inferior they are when it's time to lay down the cards.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

In my mind at least.

There's a lot of stuff going on your mind that isn't quite based in facts

Your opinion of China unfortunately is one of the outliers that is

Edited by /dev/null

There's a lot of stuff going on your mind that isn't quite based in facts

Your opinion of China unfortunately is one of the outliers that is

The first part is undoubtedly true.

The second I'm not so sure. There are a lot of little fires burning between China and the US: The OPM hack, the Sony hack, BRICS taking on the western financial systems, the build up in the South China Sea, exchanging hostile volleys with Japan and our allies in the area either directly or through NK proxies... China is clearly taking a larger role in not only their sphere of influence but attempting to expand to a more global stage.

The first part is undoubtedly true.

The second I'm not so sure. There are a lot of little fires burning between China and the US: The OPM hack, the Sony hack, BRICS taking on the western financial systems, the build up in the South China Sea, exchanging hostile volleys with Japan and our allies in the area either directly or through NK proxies... China is clearly taking a larger role in not only their sphere of influence but attempting to expand to a more global stage.

The second part was what I was agreeing with

It's an outlier in your mind that is actually based in fact