Directv Advice, already got discounts but need another box

Mediaman

I just called to inquire about adding another box to my service.

We've been customers since 98, have HBO, NFL, Premium Protection Plan, called earlier this summer for my NFL discounts and got good deals on all the services mentioned. But when I asked about new box they are holding fast to the $99 box fee, no install charges due to the service plan we are on. Do I try and play the cancel my account game? I'm really not going to do that as I'm an out of market Bills fan and need the package.

Thoughts?

I didn't ask for customer retention or loyalty as I didn't have to do that for my discounts, figured I didn't want to play that game of threatening to cancel. But do I need to?

you don't need to threaten...kinda surprised since you've been a customer since 98 that you aren't due for any upgrades. They throw around upgrades all the time....ask for retention or loyalty you don't have to threaten, just tell'em what you want.

I can swing it, its the principle behind it that makes me not want to spend it!

What principle? I am 100% convinced just asking for stuff and getting it as in the past is over now...and I don't blame them. I am sure DTV has a very basic analytic that says length of time as customer + Ticket Subscriber = exit barrier. Having the ticket I think is actually going to make it harder to get deals now....unless they start to see a flood of cancellations after this season.

Cable sounds great and much cheaper....but I just put cable in our DC place...$10 a month for modem, $10 a month for DVR( we did not get) and I am at $70 a month just for the faster internet...and we get no TV.

I am 100% convinced just asking for stuff and getting it as in the past is over now...and I don't blame them. I am sure DTV has a very basic analytic that says length of time as customer + Ticket Subscriber = exit barrier. Having the ticket I think is actually going to make it harder to get deals now....

you are 100% wrong...I have the lowest possible DTV package, they gave me Sunday Ticket Max for free and threw in HBO and Showtime for 3 months...just for asking for a break. I never thought it was possible but they did it.

The principle? Of what them charging you for something?

oh brother...here we go...

FYI- customer retention isn't a real thing... I ask for that and they send me to cancelation... They have the most power and the most ability to make things happen- I am almost on a first name basis with all in there, lol

Customer loyalty agents are a real thing...

just reattached the cord for football. told them i was considering turning my account suspension into account termination, which was true. free sunday ticket and showtime. i'll be suspending again as soon as the bills season is done. interestingly, he wouldn't match hbo now price of 10 bucks a month saying it wasn't the same product - that they sold the "live" hbo. uh, ok. i'll stick with on demand hbo only.

I didn't ask for customer retention or loyalty as I didn't have to do that for my discounts, figured I didn't want to play that game of threatening to cancel. But do I need to?

Been a DTV customer since nearly the start up of their company

I NEVER talk to the first person I get on the phone.....always customer retention. And I have always gotten what I wanted.....either directly or through credits on other items to make up for the cost.