Car maintenance

Again... Don't bank on it... A few weeks ago we were paying $2.30 here and in ONE DAY it went up to $3.45 because of the malfunction @ the refinery here.

It's been holding pretty steady around $2.35 here in the Champlain Valley for a couple months now. Just had my fuel oil tank filled yesterday. It cost me about $350 for what would have cost me over $700 in October when they usually come.

Winning!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been holding pretty steady around $2.35 here in the Champlain Valley for a couple months now. Just had my fuel oil tank filled yesterday. It cost me about $350 for what would have cost me over $700 in October when they usually come.

Winning!

Heating oil is just diesel fuel that isn't taxed for the road... Dyed red. It may have a bit more Sulphur too? Too bad you didn't drive an old diesel... You'd really make out... :D

My sister lives near St. Albans... Are you close to there?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

NJ is easily $.30 cheaper per gallon than the other side of the delaware river in PA.

Just wondering where you heard that BS on Oregon. having lived there and still owning property there. We never heard about it. interesting. Lower fuel prices? LOL oregon is among the highest in the lower 48 only beat out west by Claifornia. lower insurance? never heard about it. As for the " joke" seriously did you make this crap up? it is all wrong.

Heating oil is just diesel fuel that isn't taxed for the road... Dyed red. It may have a bit more Sulphur too? Too bad you didn't drive an old diesel... You'd really make out... :D

My sister lives near St. Albans... Are you close to there?

Wow, a few more miles north and your sister would be a Canadian!

We live in the central part of Vermont...just south of Middlebury.

$1.30 today...

I will be putting gas Thursday. Im at 75% right now. I could wait till next week.

I usually fill up at the half way mark.

Hopefully it will be under 3 at costco in 2 days.

I do not understand why people in la dont ALWAYS go to costco.

I put $3.05 on monday. Outside there is a chevron (if im not mistaken), and it's 3.70. But people are putting gas there. Why??? Then they cry that they're broke....

I will be putting gas Thursday. Im at 75% right now. I could wait till next week.

I usually fill up at the half way mark.

Hopefully it will be under 3 at costco in 2 days.

I do not understand why people in la dont ALWAYS go to costco.

I put $3.05 on monday. Outside there is a chevron (if im not mistaken), and it's 3.70. But people are putting gas there. Why??? Then they cry that they're broke....

My mom will drive 10 miles out of the way to save $.10/gal

I will pay $.05/gal or more just to not cross traffic, lol...

I could understand that.

No way in hell I would go to costco just to save 5 cents or even 10 cents.

Out here in cali it's almost a 50 cent difference.

Speaking of car maintenance... Tires. I was reading almost half the price is transportation cost. Say, Like Hankook or other Asian brands. They are made in Japan or China. That transportation cost is what jacks up the price of the tire.

Now... They are saying if you can wait 6 months to a year to buy tires, do. The reason is to wait for the New Panama Canal to open in April of 2016. The new "fast lane" canal is going to be a real game changer on certain products like bulky things (tires). Well, that is what they are saying. IMO, I think it will take longer than the second they open the new locks to get the vessels and transportation pipeline going to the eastern ports and right up the heartland. We shall see. Here's to anything if they can make the ports of People's Republic of Cali less relevant... By 10-25%. It's a big win for the consumer if they can sh*tcan a lot of the overland route for the vast intermodal freight infrastructure of the heartland and eastern US.

Speaking of car maintenance... Tires. I was reading almost half the price is transportation cost. Say, Like Hankook or other Asian brands. They are made in Japan or China. That transportation cost is what jacks up the price of the tire.

Now... They are saying if you can wait 6 months to a year to buy tires, do. The reason is to wait for the New Panama Canal to open in April of 2016. The new "fast lane" canal is going to be a real game changer on certain products like bulky things (tires). Well, that is what they are saying. IMO, I think it will take longer than the second they open the new locks to get the vessels and transportation pipeline going to the eastern ports and right up the heartland. We shall see. Here's to anything if they can make the ports of People's Republic of Cali less relevant... By 10-25%. It's a big win for the consumer if they can sh*tcan a lot of the overland route for the vast intermodal freight infrastructure of the heartland and eastern US.

That's my republic.

The distribution system is rigged. You have certain gas stations near each other that will compete, raise and lower all together... Then the one's further out will rotate in high and low... The system is anything but "free market." Certain days of the week they all raise, then lower.

I still believe technology makes it easier to change the price on the whim... Within seconds, bam, the computer is set and the price on the board and pump are changed. You can literally be @ the pump when it changes up or down.

They should add a time factor into the equation to stop this form of distribution collusion, IMO. In the old days, you simply couldn't change the price of fuel on a whim. It would be labor intensive to set the price, pumps, etc...Even if it took a day to figure out what the station wanted to do price wise, the consumer @ least a little time to hold off or drive around and find a better deal.

IMO... I really can't explain it better than I did above. Sorry if that really doesn't sound right. Simply driving and observing, one sees the distribution network is rigged. The same fueling trucks will make their rounds to all the stations...

Oh well c'est la vie!

That's my republic.

Na na... I put that in there for you.

:-P

I could understand that.

No way in hell I would go to costco just to save 5 cents or even 10 cents.

Out here in cali it's almost a 50 cent difference.

Same w/Citgo. I stopped going there years ago when Chavez called out Bush. He may be Bush, BUT he's our dictator... NOT some stinking one from Venezuela! ;-)

Whenever I purchase new tires I always tell the salesperson the same exact thing. "I want the cheapest set of tires that won't get me killed." My most recent tires are Ohtsu. Sounds Asian. I think they set me back $375 with balance and all that.

Whenever I purchase new tires I always tell the salesperson the same exact thing. "I want the cheapest set of tires that won't get me killed." My most recent tires are Ohtsu. Sounds Asian. I think they set me back $375 with balance and all that.

I just got a new set of tires. I was going without the run-flats but I don't have a spare or a jack. And I've had nails in my tires at least twice and I'm thinking it may have been three and the run-flats saved me.

I just got a new set of tires. I was going without the run-flats but I don't have a spare or a jack. And I've had nails in my tires at least twice and I'm thinking it may have been three and the run-flats saved me.

I am going w/the run flats on my two new BMW products and I love them... Especially for the wife.

Now, the only thing that I get nervous about is the low profile tires on the one vehicle. What happens if I blow out a sidewall... Or "bottle opener" in a crevice of a pot hole... I guess that is what that phone number on the back of the tailgate is for! (roadside assistance).

Some car companies skip the spare AND run flats... They give you a can of Fix-a-Flat and an tire inflator... LoL...

I had a 6" deck screw sticking out the sidewall of my last car a few years ago... I drove it VERY slowly to the tire place. I haven't used a spare in decades.

So do I but limited towing mileage. But even with AAA you got a flat tire you at the mercy of the closest tire shop.

I carry a plug (w/glue... Vulcanizing rubber cement) kit in my vehicles. You can have the nail out (outside of a sidewall puke of the whole tire) and tire plugged while the wheel is still on the vehicle and the thing is fixed permanently. I don't buy the tire shop BS that you have to have the tire broken down and patched... I plugged plenty of tires and NEVER had one fail (within the tread pattern). Of course I don't run my tires bald either (where the plug can come out).

Anyway, a patch and complete breakdown from the rim @ a tire shop is only 20 bucks or under.