Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MikeMayock

Have been in film cave for last 8 days watching sr bowl practices and juniors..will have top 5 by position on wed !

Good.

Good.

Mayock isn't always right, but he knows the process and what NFL personnel people look for as well as any analyst out there.

I'll be quite interested to see his safety rankings; guys are all over the map. Some people love Jeremy Cash, while I don't have him in my top 50. I've seen AJ Stamps and Justin Simmons ranked anywhere from Day 2 to priority UDFAs.

Players with domestic violence convictions banned from combine

Good.
Good.

Mayock isn't always right, but he knows the process and what NFL personnel people look for as well as any analyst out there.

I'll be quite interested to see his safety rankings; guys are all over the map. Some people love Jeremy Cash, while I don't have him in my top 50. I've seen AJ Stamps and Justin Simmons ranked anywhere from Day 2 to priority UDFAs.

In the inexact science of scouting in the NFL, no draft nick will ever have a 100% hit rate.

Players with domestic violence convictions banned from combine

In the inexact science of scouting in the NFL, no draft nick will ever have a 100% hit rate.

Exactly.

Drafting is an art, not a science. That's one of the reasons that I like guys like Mayock--he does a really good job of explaining what it is that scouts and GMs look for, as well as analyzing how individual events (Senior Bowl, combine, workouts, etc.) fit into the whole body of work to comprise a draft grade.

With that in mind, I'll post this article from a few years back that talks about how teams assemble their draft boards:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5473554/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-process-big-board

NFLDraftScout.com senior analyst Rob Rang expects a run as pass rushers as NFL teams search deep and wide for their own version of Von Miller. Good news: The 2016 draft is built to sustain such a run on edge players, Rang writes in his latest Big Board.

Who could be next Von Miller?
On the heels of Von Miller's Super Bowl MVP performance, which prospect in this year's draft has the best chance of making a Miller-like impact in the NFL? Our panel of experts weighs in.

Best team fits for draft's top RBs
Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah identify the top team fits for the most highly regarded running backs in this year's draft. Could AFC South rivals vie to draft the same player?

The one we've all been waiting for...

p.s. Nothing really shocked me on his board. Usually Mayock has a few pretty off the radar thoughts.

Of interest:

Interior defensive line

1. DeForest Buckner, Oregon

2. Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss

3. Sheldon Rankins, Louisville

4. Jarran Reed, Alabama

5. A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama

Edge rusher

1. Joey Bosa, Ohio State

2. Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky

3. Shaq Lawson, Clemson

4. Leonard Floyd, Georgia

5. Kevin Dodd, Clemson

Linebacker

1. Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame

2. Myles Jack, UCLA

3. Reggie Ragland, Alabama

4. Darron Lee, Ohio State

5. Deion Jones, LSU

Safeties

1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia

2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State

3. Darien Thompson, Boise State

4. Miles Killebrew, Southern Utah

5. Jeremy Cash, Duke

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Of interest:

Interior defensive line

1. DeForest Buckner, Oregon

2. Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss

3. Sheldon Rankins, Louisville

4. Jarran Reed, Alabama

5. A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama

Edge rusher

1. Joey Bosa, Ohio State

2. Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky

3. Shaq Lawson, Clemson

4. Leonard Floyd, Georgia

5. Kevin Dodd, Clemson

Linebacker

1. Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame

2. Myles Jack, UCLA

3. Reggie Ragland, Alabama

4. Darron Lee, Ohio State

5. Deion Jones, LSU

Safeties

1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia

2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State

3. Darien Thompson, Boise State

4. Miles Killebrew, Southern Utah

5. Jeremy Cash, Duke

Probably need to add wide receiver as the Bills have made it pretty clear that they are adding one:

1. Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss

2. Corey Coleman, Baylor

3. Michael Thomas, Ohio State

4. Josh Doctson, TCU

5. Will Fuller, Notre Dame