Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prospect questions we want answered at combine

Are the concerns about MSU QB Connor Cook's character overblown? That question is among 8 we want answered by prospects when they meet the media this week at the combine.

6 things to watch for at the NFL Scouting Combine

The proceedings for the NFL Scouting Combine begin today. Here are a half dozen items to keep tabs on this week in Indianapolis.

The league’s NFL Scouting Combine begins today as the first position groups begin to report to Indianapolis for medical exams and interviews with clubs before they meet the media on Wednesday with the offensive lineman, running backs and special teamers the first position groups coming through. Our NFL Combine coverage presented by NAPA begins today on Buffalobills.com and runs through the weekend. These are the areas of the Combine proceedings to monitor as the week moves along.

@LedyardNFLDraft

Mayock says it is a defensive draft. Best IDL he's seen maybe since he started doing it.

Mayock thinks Tunsil fits Tennessee. Lewan would kick to RT. Think TEN would love to move down a couple slots.

Mayock thinks Jack was more physical and confident this year. Thinks NFL transition will be smooth. Looks like top 10 pick

Mayock thinks CJ Prosise is a 4th round guy who could make sense with Abdullah in Detroit.

Mayock says if Jaylon Smith didn't get hurt, he'd be in the conversation for #1 overall pick.

Mayock thinks Jaylon's knee could be "typical" and teams can gauge his return. Or extenuating circumstances would elevate doubt in status.

Mayock says he thinks most teams should draft a quarterback every two years or so. To at least develop as backup. Detroit could this year

Calls Hack and Cardale wild cards. Tons of talent, poor tape. Upside skills-wise to be starters.

Mayock: Indy and Philly can't draft enough OLmen

Mayock: 40 yard dash is the most over-hyped exercise as the combine

Mayock: says Jack and Jaylon make sense for Miami at #8. Also thinks Darron Lee has risen. He thinks Lee is more 20-32 but will go in 1st rd

Mayock: Thinks VHIII is most natural CB in draft and could go 8 to Miami as a heck of a pick

Mayock: Nkemdiche dominant against Alabama. With no off field and if he played like that always, would be in convo for #1 overall pick

Mayock: Huge week for Nkemdiche. Needs to be in best shape of his life.

Mayock loves Jaylon. Just hoping he's healthy.

Mayock: Goff vs Wentz is too different conversations. Wentz more upside, Goff better right away.

Mayock: Doesn't think it is a great wide receiver class. Michael Thomas/Josh Doctson guys who could make sense for CLE at top of 2nd rd

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@realfootballtv

#NFLDraft Top Prospects DE Bosa QB Wentz DE Lawson LT Tunsil DT Robinson OLB Jack CB Ramsey DL Buckner WR Treadwell https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/02/23/02-04-16-rfn-top-32/

More from Mayock.

@LedyardNFLDraft

Mayock: Has heard 1st-2nd rd grades on at least 12 different defensive tackles from different teams

Mayock thinks Germain Ifedi might need to move inside to guard

Mayock: If you're looking for a slot, better go get Sterling Shepard. Can't wait on wide receiver this year

Mayock: If Kansas City goes IDL, thinks Jarran Reed and A'Shawn Robinson could fit. Kenny Clark also.

Mayock: Billings might be best pure nose tackle in this year's draft, but could be just two-down player

Mayock: Hunter Henry borderline L1, E2. Hooper a very good route runner. Like Zach Ertz or Coby Fleener. 2nd round pick

Mayock: Likes Jerell Adams a lot. Thinks he and Nick Vannett are top four tight ends and after that pick your flavor

Mayock: Jason Spriggs could make a lot of sense for Minnesota.

Mayock: Pharoh Cooper could fit Vikings. Tyler Boyd too. 2nd-3rd rd guys to Mayock.

Mayock: Doesn't think Alex Collins is natural RB who knows where/when to cut, but size/strength/pass pro are positives. 3rd rd, 5th-6th RB

Mayock: Ezekiel Elliott will go in first round

Mayock: RB is valued again amongst teams

Mayock: Scooby Wright is instinctive and hustles, knows how to evade traffic. Will be knocked on AA. Big week for him. 3rd rd LB.

Mayock: Vadal/Ifedi 2nd round picks. Kirkland/Odhiambo maybe 3rd rd. All guards.

Whitehair 2nd rd too

My comment: Mayock seems to think teams will value OL prospects more than he does. Mentioned Jerald Hawkins as 2nd rd possibility. Insane

Mayock lists basically everyone you thought might be available at #5 as potential picks for Jacksonville.

Mayock: Wants to see different football drills at the combine

Mayock: Marquise Williams should stay at QB, teams should look to develop him. Long way to go.

Mayock: Paxton Lynch, great athlete, big arm, year or two away. If SF, PHI, STL, better have a QB ready to play if you draft Lynch.

Mayock: NFL is match-up league. DCs looking to match up best pass rusher with worst pass protector.

Mayock: Jack Conklin would be perfect right tackle. Decker right or left.

Mayock: Likes Spriggs more on right side than left.

Mayock: Willie Beavers can play but he needs time.

Mayock: Potential right tackles: Spencer Drango and Kyle Murphy. 4th round range.

Mayock: Not developing NFL QBs anymore, why we have only 10-12 franchise guys. Need to give more time.

Mayock: Cardale and Hack scare him. Doesn't know how long they'll take to develop into functional quarterbacks

Mayock: You know what you're getting with Alabama kids. Jarran Reed smart, tough, high FBI.

You've heard of Carson Wentz and Joey Bosa, Jared Goff and Derrick Henry. Here are 25 things to know about the 2016 NFL Combine.

A former Jaguars player recounts the stupid questions teams asked him at the combine.

@NFL_CFB

Mayock: Georgia OLB Leonard Floyd is a polarizing prospect. Some people think he's a top-10 pick. Some people think he's Barkevious Mingo.

@NFL_CFB

Mayock on #Bills: If they think there's a franchise QB at No. 19, they'd have to consider it, and I like Tyrod Taylor.

@LedyardNFLDraft

Mayock: Sheldon Rankins could be a fit at #19 for Bills.

@NFL_CFB

Mayock: Georgia OLB Leonard Floyd is a polarizing prospect. Some people think he's a top-10 pick. Some people think he's Barkevious Mingo.

@NFL_CFB

Mayock on #Bills: If they think there's a franchise QB at No. 19, they'd have to consider it, and I like Tyrod Taylor.

@LedyardNFLDraft

Mayock: Sheldon Rankins could be a fit at #19 for Bills.

I like Sheldon Rankins a lot. But where would he fit for the Bills? If we are committed to a 3-4- I don't see him playing nt and he does not have prototypical size for an end.

I like Sheldon Rankins a lot. But where would he fit for the Bills? If we are committed to a 3-4- I don't see him playing nt and he does not have prototypical size for an end.

I think he has plenty of size to anchor as a 3-4 DE.

NFL Scouting Combine: All the drills, medical tests and evaluations the prospects have ahead of them

With draft hopefuls making their way to Indianapolis for the start of the NFL scouting combine today, these prospect face a wide array of medical tests, positional drills, personality profiling and sit down interviews sessions ahead of them. Something many of them having been training months for.

Unlike a normal job interview this one has a little bit more to it and we will try to break down some of the details of this event to give you a better idea of what these individuals will be going through over the next few days.

LSU LB moving up draft boards

He hadn’t had much a chance to be a productive linebacker at LSU until his senior season. But Deion Jones burst onto the scene putting up 88 tackles, five sacks and two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown. Now a prospect that wasn’t seen as more than a late round pick is moving up draft boards, and can push his stock higher at the NFL Combine this week.

and anchor is what Rex will ask of his DE?

Rex's typical D uses the lineman to anchor & 2 gap while using LB & S blitzes to create pressure as far as I know. Not saying the linemen can't/shouldn't get pressure on their own, but I feel like a lot of the time their role is to ensure that the appropriate LB is either single teamed or unblocked entirely.

Rex's typical D uses the lineman to anchor & 2 gap while using LB & S blitzes to create pressure as far as I know. Not saying the linemen can't/shouldn't get pressure on their own, but I feel like a lot of the time their role is to ensure that the appropriate LB is either single teamed or unblocked entirely.

I was worried about that.

well i guess the change is coming.

The wide nine was fun but she has left us for Philly

and anchor is what Rex will ask of his DE?

Correct. One of the principles of the Ryan defense is to shut down the run and "anchoring" is one of the primary responsibilities of the DE position. One that Mario was bitching about.

Correct. One of the principles of the Ryan defense is to shut down the run and "anchoring" is one of the primary responsibilities of the DE position. One that Mario was bitching about.

In all honesty. Why would an intelligent Man like Rex use Mario to anchor. Did he just not like him?

In all honesty. Why would an intelligent Man like Rex use Mario to anchor. Did he just not like him?

Because he has the physical attributes to excel in that role if he wanted to and it seemed like his pass rush ability was diminishing. Not unreasonable IMO.

Because he has the physical attributes to excel in that role if he wanted to and it seemed like his pass rush ability was diminishing. Not unreasonable IMO.

boy oh boy. we are not going to get along today.

Not that you do not have a valid angle : ) it could well be Rex was forcing him to eat his peas and carrots and he made the boo boo face.

Lets revisit this when M W plays next year.

Edited by 3rdand12

boy oh boy. we are not going to get along today.

Not that you do not have a valid angle : ) it could well be Rex was forcing him to eat his peas and carrots and he made the boo boo face.

Lets revisit this when M W plays next year.

:lol: We're just disagreeing w/o being disagreeable.

@NFL_CFB

"Heavy-Legged Waist Bender" "Sand in the Pants" Brush up on @MikeMayock's terms --> http://bit.ly/1TE9ZbM

Cb7yehsW4AAUuUe.jpg

@buffalobills

The Bills have arrived. #NFLCombine

Cb70UApUsAAggoz.jpg

OT Tunsil projecting as top pick

Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil is quickly becoming the consensus top overall pick in mock drafts. It’s due in part to the fact that he’s the best offensive lineman in the 2016 class, but he’s also being listed in the top spot because the Tennessee Titans currently hold the top pick. Knowing they already drafted their franchise quarterback in Marcus Mariota last year no one is projecting the Titans to take a QB with the top pick.

ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper was one of several mock draftniks who projected Tunsil number one overall. He recently explained why in a national conference call.

Don't mess around Tennessee. Get the guy your team needs.

Rob Rang deliveres his pre-combine Big Board and peeks ahead to important pro day workouts for a pair of top-10 prospects.