Excellent draft so far.......3 rounds, 6 players

He's 6'3" and 252#. He's not undersized.

I remember reading an early scouting report that had O'leary at 6'2"5/8 and 248lbs... But I'll accept NFL's scouting report of him at 6'3" 252lbs with 29 and 1/4 inch arms and 9 and 1/4 inch hands...

Rob Gronkowski is 6'6" 265lbs with 34 and 1/4 inch arms and 10 and 3/4 inch hands.

Jimimmy Graham is 6'7" 265lbs with 35 inch arms and 10 and 5/8 inch hands.

If I were making a blueprint of an effective TE in today's NFL, it's not going to look like O'leary... And I really like the kid alot! -Best pick of our entire draft IMO... Woulda been great to have a BIG WR or TE to pair him with... (6'4" or better) -Size and catch radius matter, unfortunately.

Edited by #34fan

yea when you have no real answer go back to old faithful.

My answer is first pick aside (I would like everyone have liked them to go offensive line too) I prefer the actual draft to your draft.

I think part of the issue for Bills fans here is that we are so used to thinking of the draft as the place to fill all those holes on our football team that we can't get our heads around a draft that has been used to add depth and take a couple of luxury picks.

Darby is a bit of a luxury pick (though if he allows us to move Corey Graham into the safety rotation with Duke alongside Aaron it also fills a need).

Miller feels like the only one that was a slight reach for need but I am hopeful he can at least be in the discussion to start week 1.

Karlos Williams appears a bit of a luxury pick but this is Freddie's last year (if he even makes it) and Williams gives you a young guy to bring on behind McCoy.

Steward is a guy who ability wise could have gone higher but slipped due to concern about his knees - people say he is undersized to play inside but they said that about Kiko in this same style of defense... and how wrong they were, hopefully he adds depth behind Bradham and Brown.

O'Leary adds a versatile tight end option. He will make the team I am 100% sure and whilst he isn't a dynamic play maker like Clay is a safety blanket type.

Lewis is a bit of a luxury pick in the 7th who will likely end up on the practice squad.

I reckon the first 5 of those all make the team and make our roster better. Hard to compare our draft to other teams with the lack of the first... Seattle were in the same spot and I think our draft is very similar to theirs.

I am with the OP. Looking at a draft isolated from other off season activities is foolish. What if they did not resign Hughes? Would they then get some great draft grade for picking some highly rated edge rusher?

Getting Tyrod Taylor is the equivalent of any other QB draft acquisition they could have made. He is competing for playing time this year and it seems like they think highly enough of him to give him a 3rd roster spot on their active roster if only for some specially designed, situational plays.

Any QB they might have drafted would have had to be good enough to get EJ or Tyrod cut or bad enough to stay on the practice squad without some other team making him an offer. I still see a problem at tackle but it's not likely that Whaley has given up on upgrading the roster either.

Oh? So free agency is part of the draft now?

Just call it a good offseason and forget the gimmicks

Pretty much, the draft was OK not a lot of picks to work with. In round 2 we picked a long term depth need and took what some felt was the best player available. In round 3 we went with need, not sure if he will have a impact this year but it puts a player with potential in the mix at Guard. No 4th rounder and the rest of the picks were what you expect from later round picks mostly players that are developmental.