Anti-Gay Laws are based on religious freedom

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That refuse business, or that refuse to accept?

No one, personally, has to accept anyone/anyone's marriage.

Businesses that refuse business based on personal views get into sticky territory. Putting a sign out front that says "no gays" is no different than "no blacks" imo. Not that many/any are going that far, but it's the easiest way to present my opinion.

The same reason people are forced to accept interracial marriage, I assume.

Interracial marriage is not against religious beliefs, so it would not be covered by the RFRA.

"forced" is a rather illustrative term.

Interracial marriage is not against religious beliefs, so it would not be covered by the RFRA.

"forced" is a rather illustrative term.

There are certainly religious organizations that are against interracial relationships. An extreme example would be the KKK.

No one, personally, has to accept anyone/anyone's marriage.

Businesses that refuse business based on personal views get into sticky territory. Putting a sign out front that says "no gays" is no different than "no blacks" imo. Not that many/any are going that far, but it's the easiest way to present my opinion.

Okay..but NOW you just equated "no gays" to "no gay marriage."

So while you argue that businesses shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against people...you now extend that argument to "people shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against events?"

There are certainly religious organizations that are against interracial relationships. An extreme example would be the KKK.

No.

The RFRA sets a high threshold for the judiciary to evaluate.

It has to be an established religious practice, not what a "religious organization" wants or doesn't want.

And EVEN THEN the Judge may still over-rule......It IS NOT a license to discriminate, as falsely advertised.

Okay..but NOW you just equated "no gays" to "no gay marriage."

So while you argue that businesses shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against people...you now extend that argument to "people shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against events?"

If they said "no marriages" at all that wouldn't be discrimination. But if they said "we'll do marriages, just not gay ones", that'd be discrimination in my book.

No.

The RFRA sets a high threshold for the judiciary to evaluate.

It has to be an established religious practice, not what a "religious organization" wants or doesn't want.

And EVEN THEN the Judge may still over-rule......It IS NOT a license to discriminate, as falsely advertised.

Actually, it's the law and precedent that sets a high threshhold. Since made lower with the Hobby Lobby decision...but still pretty damned high.

If they said "no marriages" at all that wouldn't be discrimination. But if they said "we'll do marriages, just not gay ones", that'd be discrimination in my book.

But against people, or against an event?

Actually, it's the law and precedent that sets a high threshhold. Since made lower with the Hobby Lobby decision...but still pretty damned high.

But against people, or against an event?

People, because they are fine with the event (the act of marriage), but not fine with the people involved (gay couple).

People, because they are fine with the event (the act of marriage), but not fine with the people involved (gay couple).

Then why would they agree to serve gays if they walked in the pizzeria? If they were truly discriminatory they'd not serve gays at any level.

What if it's in a state that doesn't allow gay marriages?

Individuals should always reserve the right to limit their association with other individuals in any way they choose. That's what freedom is.

Your position is essentially that individuals should only be able to express their opinion if it is an opinion that agrees with yours. That's not freedom.

Indiana allows what it allows, and doesn't necessarily line up with my opinion of discrimination.

What if it were a Muslim company that didn't want to cater a wedding because they were serving alcohol? Or they requesting a rum cake and they didn't want to handle the alcohol? Or a Muslim caterer that didn't want to do it because they wanted pork on the menu?