Bandwagon Fans

BuckeyeBill

I'm a High School teacher and I talked to a lot of my students about the Superbowl today. (They are well aware of the fact that I am a football nut). When I asked who a person was rooting for, if they said Patriots... I asked two simple questions. "Why?"

Then I asked a question, "Name two players on the Patriots."

Do you know that nobody could answer both questions? The answer to "why" was "They're cool" or "They win" or "Their quarterback is hott (yuck)" or "I like them."

Never a good answer like, I was born there, or my parents follow them, or I've liked them for a while, or I like any particular player." No, all stupid answers.

The second question, "naming players"... most students could barely remember Brady, and that's it.

My point, I hate these New Englander bandwagon fans. So fickle. I remember bandwagon fans during the Bills Superbowl runs, but they were gone the day after the Superbowl. The true fans came out when the team loses. New England doesn't lose, so true fans can't show their colors.

I even have to wonder how many of the people on this board, (who claim to be Pasty fans) are truly fans.

I had a friend in college, who truly loved the Patriots. He was a true fan, liked them when they sucked, liked them when they won. I haven't been in contact with him, but a part of me (please know it is very small) is happy for him. He is a true fan!

How many of these posters... really are???

My question: If YOU (reading this now) are a New England fan. WHY? Give me a legit reason. If you are NOT a New England fan, tell me why you support the Bills or whatever team you like.

"Personally, I love the Bills because I grew up in Buffalo, went to see Jerry Butler speak when very young at some church. I wanted to be a football player just like him. I always idolized Jim Kelly, and cried when he could never win the big one. I moved from Buffalo, but my love for the Bills remained. I say those are legit reasons.

Now it's your turn. Let's see some posts here. (Especially you New England fans)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a High School teacher and I talked to a lot of my students about the Superbowl today.  (They are well aware of the fact that I am a football nut).  When I asked who a person was rooting for, if they said Patriots... I asked two simple questions.  "Why?"

Then I asked a question, "Name two players on the Patriots."

Do you know that nobody could answer both questions?  The answer to "why" was "They're cool" or "They win" or "Their quarterback is hott (yuck)" or "I like them."

Never a good answer like, I was born there, or my parents follow them, or I've liked them for a while, or I like any particular player."  No, all stupid answers.

The second question, "naming players"... most students could barely remember Brady, and that's it.

My point, I hate these New Englander bandwagon fans.  So fickle.  I remember bandwagon fans during the Bills Superbowl runs, but they were gone the day after the Superbowl.  The true fans came out when the team loses.  New England doesn't lose, so true fans can't show their colors. 

I even have to wonder how many of the people on this board, (who claim to be Pasty fans) are truly fans.

I had a friend in college, who truly loved the Patriots.  He was a true fan, liked them when they sucked, liked them when they won.  I haven't been in contact with him, but a part of me (please know it is very small) is happy for him.  He is a true fan!

How many of these posters... really are???

My question:  If YOU (reading this now) are a New England fan.  WHY?  Give me a legit reason.  If you are NOT a New England fan, tell me why you support the Bills or whatever team you like.

"Personally, I love the Bills because I grew up in Buffalo, went to see Jerry Butler speak when very young at some church.  I wanted to be a football player just like him.  I always idolized Jim Kelly, and cried when he could never win the big one.  I moved from Buffalo, but my love for the Bills remained.  I say those are legit reasons. 

Now it's your turn.  Let's see some posts here.  (Especially you New England fans)

231495[/snapback]

I support the Bills in part because my formerly beloved Cleveland Browns were ripped away from me a decade ago.

I really started rooting for the Bills when they had Joe Cribbs. I remember cheering them on when Greg Bell ran for a million yards in that 1984 upset of the Cowboys. I rooted for the Bills through all four Super Bowl losses.

The Bills show me resiliency and a never-say-die attitude. Today's Cleveland Browns...well, I've said here that "nobody circles the drain like the Cleveland Browns". I will be curious to see how Romeo Crennel rectifies the situation. And, to this day, I still have a bit of residual Browns fan in me, but I rooted for the Bills when they played in December. And, since I am the only Bills fan I know, nobody can say that someone here influenced me to become a Bills fan.

Mike

I'd say its a pretty good guess that any team that rides high has its share of "new" or "bandwagon" fans.

231505[/snapback]

Very true. If not for the Super Bowl run in the early 90's, many on this board with no ties to the Buffalo area wouldn't be posting in here. :blink:

Very true. If not for the Super Bowl run in the early 90's, many on this board with no ties to the Buffalo area wouldn't be posting in here. :blink:

231506[/snapback]

Just look at how many Steeler fans around the country there were in the early 80's and Niner fans in the mid to late 80's and Cowboys fans there were in the 90's.

How many kids take that into account when they are just getting into the NFL?

I moved to CT in 1986 and started to watch the Patriots on a regular basis...I rooted for them against the Bears, saw that Super Bowl down in NJ.

When I was a kid I liked the Dolphins but when Jimmy Johnson was hired I lost all respect for them and have rooted against them ever since.

So living in New England for 18+ years and watching them on the Tube over that time has made me a Patriots fan...and yes I can name two players...

Tom Brady, Ty Law, Cory Dillion, Roosevelt Covin, Richard Seymour, Adam Vinietri, and do I need to go on...

And before LaBillzFan shows up here, I went to the first three season opener tailgates with my friend the Nervous Guy and his son....as I do not care about the Titans, Saints or Jets, I wore Bills attire to support the home team.....I have a fondness for the Bills and really do not understand why so many on this board are always trashing the team.

And at the Saints game, I saw a bunch of people wearing Saints shirts...people who were buffalo season ticket holders and who were rooting for the Saints because they liked Flutie better than Johnson. So don't tell me that Bills fans never wear other Teams's attire....NG will back me up on this, he is the one who made that comment.

I moved to CT in 1986 and started to watch the Patriots on a regular basis...I rooted for them against the Bears, saw that Super Bowl down in NJ.

When I was a kid I liked the Dolphins but when Jimmy Johnson was hired I lost all respect for them and have rooted against them ever since.

So living in New England for 18+ years and watching them on the Tube over that time has made me a Patriots fan...and yes I can name two players...

Tom Brady, Ty Law, Cory Dillion, Roosevelt Covin, Richard Seymour, Adam Vinietri, and do I need to go on...

And before LaBillzFan shows up here, I went to the first three season opener tailgates with my friend the Nervous Guy and his son....as I do not care about the Titans, Saints or Jets, I wore Bills attire to support the home team.....I have a fondness for the Bills and really do not understand why so many on this board are always trashing the team.

And at the Saints game, I saw a bunch of people wearing Saints shirts...people who were buffalo season ticket holders and who were rooting for the Saints because they liked Flutie better than Johnson.    So don't tell me that Bills fans never wear other Teams's attire....NG will back me up on this, he is the one who made that comment.

231550[/snapback]

Thanks for your life story. Haven't you already moved on to talking about your beloved Red Sox? :blink:

Whenever we win the Bowl, you'll see millions of new Bills fans out there with the same answers, it'll go on for ever because it's the "hip" thing to do.

To answer your questions, I'm a Bills fan because since I was very young, I knew my brother was a huge diehard Dolphins fan, and I knew he hated the Bills. So I started saying "Go Bills" during the Dolphins games just to piss him off. With all the media coverage the Bills were starting to get in the late 80's from TV, magazines, ect., I became interested in Jim Kelly. He became my idol. Then I started saving every piece of Bills items I could find to credit card stickers in the mail, to magazine and newspaper clippings. All the while became loyal and devoted to everything they did.

2 players, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice? :blink:

And at the Saints game, I saw a bunch of people wearing Saints shirts...people who were buffalo season ticket holders and who were rooting for the Saints because they liked Flutie better than Johnson.    So don't tell me that Bills fans never wear other Teams's attire....NG will back me up on this, he is the one who made that comment.

231550[/snapback]

So I must be the one and ONLY person who read your pledge of allegiance to the Bills back then? I must be the one and ONLY person who read a thread that YOU started in which you stated, adamantly and with absolutely NO reservation whatsoever, that you have decided to become a Bills fan?

Please...as much as you try to wipe away your well-deserved title of team-swapping whore by casually saying it was all a joke, I should remind you that I am NOT the one and only person who read your pledge and took it seriously. And that went way beyond wearing Bills attire.

And the simple fact that other fans...even Bills fans...would wear another team's colors just proves the simple fact that there are more of you out there. It in no way justifies what you did and said.

One good thing about this: at least you don't wait for me to show up anymore before you start defending your team-swapping whore ways after telling everyone how you look forward to 'feasting' on the 'buffet' that is today's TBD.

231550[/snapback]

I've lived in Boston for 16 years now, and I can honestly say that I hate the Pats more now than when I moved here. One big reason is being in close proximity to all their "fans". Why you feel the need to post on a Bills board after having grown up a Dolphins fan, then devolved into a Pats fan is beyond my comprehension. From what I can see, you're only here to be a prick when either the Sox or Pats win. That's not being a fan, that's being a douche-bag.

My question:  If YOU (reading this now) are a New England fan.  WHY?  Give me a legit reason.

Up until 1993, I had followed football but had never really cared for a particular team. Anyway, I new somebody with a new England connection who got me interested in the Pats, and before long I realized that following football is a lot more fun when you've got something besides wagers to root for. Been a diehard ever since, despite not being able to watch half their games (outside of the area and no dish). But I follow them anyway I can (internet, TV tickers, radio, highlights, etc.).