Insider information discussion - Contain no insider info

havent heard any linking of the team to the player the last couple days. we will see.

What he said iirc was that they would sign McCown, then Locker, and EJ would be cut. Then McCown was signed by the Browns.

Personally I didn't believe that one. But it's possible the Bills very much thought that they would have McCown. I'm not sure how getting Meh Cassell instead of McCown would change that. Perhaps they thought of McCown as more of a backup to Locker in case he gets hurt. But think they can build an offense around Cassell. I don't see a difference, but I'm just looking for possibilities.

Once the McCown thing didn't happen, the scenario was then shot.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Except Leroi has (kind of) denied that happened and still insists Fred will be a cap casualty. So the jury is still out.

I don't doubt that. I read one poster on Buffalo Rumblings mention that it's a PR move to avoid cutting Freddy now, in order to get fans excited for the season (and avoid a negative headline). Then cut him before, during, or after training camp.

Exactly. "Insiders" are not men in black type characters with suits and briefcases. They are regular dudes who are friend of a friend, or are related to one of the 20 or so people that have access to info in the organization. They get pieces of info like "we don't really like EJ, we're probably going to cut him". They don't get really accurate info.

Honestly, I think we should be happy with scraps and crumbs of insider info, because we get an idea of what's really going on, and it gives us a step up on the media.

Totally agree. Good post.

If someone jumps the gun on information that isn't yet finalized, I question both their motivation and their juice. Any "insider" wouldn't bolt to the internet with half-baked murmurs, IMO. :pirate:

Why not? Some of the "insiders" are just regular people. Ever have a friend tell you a secret that you were really excited to tell another friend, even if it's not concrete? Totally understandable.

What he said iirc was that they would sign McCown, then Locker, and EJ would be cut. Then McCown was signed by the Browns.

Personally I didn't believe that one. But it's possible the Bills very much thought that they would have McCown. I'm not sure how getting Meh Cassell instead of McCown would change that. Perhaps they thought of McCown as more of a backup to Locker in case he gets hurt. But think they can build an offense around Cassell. I don't see a difference, but I'm just looking for possibilities.

I think Cassel>McCown but not by much. They both fill the same veteran backup role. I don't think the scenario should change, they are basically the same player

I think that it depends on how it is phrased and who it is coming from. Leroi (for example) has proven to have a source. There are a few others here who have provided info as well. That doesn't mean that things always play out as planned. If phrased correctly "the Bills would like to..." they deserve the benefit of the doubt. When someone says "____ will happen" and then it doesn't, their credibility takes a hit. We should give people the benefit of the doubt or they will stop sharing the info.

In addition people with info can rarely give their source. It doesn't mean that it isn't true it just means that they will stop getting info if they reveal it. We don't need to attack them for it. It will either play out as they said or it won't.

yup -- i know you took some questions the first few times and you shared what you could and respectfully declined what you couldnt. not a huge deal and it created a track record for you.

the other thing that tends to get people flack when they leak their first bit is that some like the attention and give teaser after teaser instead of just the story for the sake of sharing information.

Why not? Some of the "insiders" are just regular people. Ever have a friend tell you a secret that you were really excited to tell another friend, even if it's not concrete? Totally understandable.

Because they phrase it concretely.

Why not just say, "I heard a trade is on the table for EJ and it is not done yet?"

That way, you don't have to be proven wrong. The "inside sources" are posted as facts and assurances.

That may be less strong than the reality though. That comes across to me as something the Bills are hoping to happen if things go well, not the reality of it where they are convinced it's a done deal.

Just opening this up for discussion. It's an interesting topic.

Let's just say hypothetically a poster here gets some insider info from a good source.

1) He says, for example, EJ is going to be traded. Or I heard EJ is going to be traded.

2) That information at the time is solid. The Bills agreed in principle to the trade although it's not public

3) Something happens before the actual occurrence to screw it up

4) The trade is not made.

Do you consider that insider info to be "wrong?" Because the trade didn't happen and the information didn't turn out to be true.

Or do you consider that insider to still be right, because at the time it was true and something unforeseen came out of nowhere to derail it.

I see both sides. Personally I don't think that info is wrong. It was right at the time it was made, the Bills themselves believed it would happen and prepared for it to happen and then something put a wrench in plans.

Discuss.

If they had "Insider Information" then I would assume they would be working and collecting $ for their insight.

If I say Fred Jackson will RETIRE as a Buffalo Bills - Am I still not correct if the leaves than comes back and signs for 1 day to officially retire a Bill?

The problem I have is too many people post garbage for the sake of posting, and ofter to get people riled up.

> IF said poster was repeatedly correct I deem this person credible, yet I would also be critical of poor reporting.

My feeling about any kind of inside information, regardless of whether it is presented as "probably" or "definitely", is the same: take it with a grain of salt. Since we are talking about anonymous posters with unknown agendas it is reasonable to be skeptical. The good news is, we are talking about football here, not something where inaccurate information is going to ruin your life or harm you. So... Question all you want by all means, but try to avoid outright "attacks".

could be - but a nice spot for leroi to come back and say "maybe cassel changed their plan" or "i hear locker wasnt that into it" or even the classic "things must not have worked out, i dont know but i will let you know if i hear" goes a long way towards it not looking like a guy just tossing bait in the shark tank

could be - but a nice spot for leroi to come back and say "maybe cassel changed their plan" or "i hear locker wasnt that into it" or even the classic "things must not have worked out, i dont know but i will let you know if i hear" goes a long way towards it not looking like a guy just tossing bait in the shark tank

Yep. He definitely couched it poorly. If what he was saying was true, which again I didn't believe, would have been tampering to the highest degree.

That may be less strong than the reality though. That comes across to me as something the Bills are hoping to happen if things go well, not the reality of it where they are convinced it's a done deal.

As far as I'm concerned, unless it's from Whaley's mouth or a done deal, it's not strong.

Look at the fiasco yesterday. The poster said that Fred was informed two nights ago he'd been cut. Then, he wasn't. If he had said, "my source says the plan is inform Fred tonight and give the news tomorrow," what would have been the difference, besides being less incorrect? We aren't placing bets here, we're just getting a feel on the pulse of the organization.

The "strength" of the info doesn't really matter to me, as long as it IS info.

We can't choose what kind of communication and manners we expect from our insiders. They are who they are. Leroi's posts are vague and....different. He prefers to just drop what he knows rather than explain. I wonder how much of the replies he even reads.

BTW are you Leroi's manager?

Are you talking to me? I'm trying to help protect one of our most likely insiders from other posters who like to make them feel unwelcome.

So read minds or distort what they write?

Are you trying to misunderstand me? If someone says something concrete, and in your heart you don't want to believe it, then add a "maybe" to the front of it.