RB David Johnson, Northern Iowa

YoloinOhio

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not seeing much wrong with Doug Johnson. He sprints through the goal line, even when he's 20 yards clear. It looks like he just loves to play football. Whoever comes in to complete, needs to be very mentally tough given the offensive line that might not be up to par in establishing a top NFL running game.

I'm not seeing much wrong with Doug Johnson. He sprints through the goal line, even when he's 20 yards clear. It looks like he just loves to play football. Whoever comes in to complete, needs to be very mentally tough given the offensive line that might not be up to par in establishing a top NFL running game.

Doug Johnson is a stud.

can't be a good player without a few arrests on your record B-)

Jail makes you tough! Doesn't mean i have to like it though.

It seems with the big backs -- 6'0" and over -- you better have a replacement plan sooner rather than later. They get punished and you don't see many last into their upper 20s. The 5'8" to 5'10" 220 guys are prototypical. Because of his quiet demeanor, Tomlinson gets overlooked as a top 5 back, but he was truly great all around, and played top football for a long time.

Edited by Thrivefourfive

Are the YouTube highlights in slow-motion because he doesn't play a whole lot faster than Fred Jackson? Not a fan of the arrest either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4K8543ke8

Hilarious, I bet you would love some Le'Veon Bell on the Bills.

Jail makes you tough! Doesn't mean i have to like it though.

It seems with the big backs -- 6'0" and over -- you better have a replacement plan sooner rather than later. They get punished and you don't see many last into their upper 20s. The 5'8" to 5'10" 220 guys are prototypical. Because of his quiet demeanor, Tomlinson gets overlooked as a top 5 back, but he was truly great all around, and played top football for a long time.

LT was one of his own, the amount of backs of his size and stature don't actually translate to the main component in an offense.

I like him too, but where? I think taking him in the 3rd is a bit of a reach and I don't know that he'll make it to the 1st pick of round 5

If he's their guy, and he's there...you take him.

3rd round might be right about where he goes though anyways...that's when I would expect the majority of the RB's to start going, besides the higher end ones in the 2nd.

However, I think Johnson is one of the top-5 RB's...all of which will be gone before the 4th round.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

I like Tevin Coleman, I think he possibly has the best upside of the backs I've seen this year. Has the big body, seems to have good-enough speed to be effective at the NFL level, and was productive at Indiana University, where the defense knew they were going to run him. I have seen 5 or so guys now (Coleman, Johnson, Ajayi, Abdullah, and one other), and though Abdullah seems like the most SURE THING to be a productive pro, Coleman seems like, if he goes to a team with a strong OL and TEs who can block, he will be a STAR, and could have a couple 1400 yard seasons.

He looks like a long-striding Frank Gore (which may or may not be a good thing). Seems to take a couple strides to hit his top gear (but maybe it's just him letting his blocks develop... Do I need to really add a disclaimer that I'm not a professional scout?), but once he hits his hole and gets through the LOS, he is big enough with enough speed to be a problem for the defense to bring down. Has good enough contact balance to fall forwardor drag tacklers yards after contact, which is huge in the NFL. He's not Blount, and I'm not saying he'll be an elite back like these guys, but his body and rough skill LOOK like Murray from Dallas or LT (though one of LT's major skills were catching out of backfield, and I couldn't e v a l that from the limited footage I saw).

In college, they seemed to run a lot of sweeps and pitches, so I don't know if that was because he had a problem going immediately north-south, or if they had the athleticism instead of size on the OL so that's just how they utilized it, by getting out in space. With us probably bringing in a good blocking FB, and surely to greatly improve out G situation, I think he would do very well here. I would love to grab him in Rd. 2, and give him the ball 15+ times per game, even with Fred and Bryce on the team. I think we will be running it 35x per game, so that would still leave 20 carries for Fred, Bryce, and Boobie to figure out (though I feel us carrying Coleman, new FB, Fred, Bryce, Boobie might be too many backs, and one could be on the bubble at the end of TC).

Again, I haven't watched him game-in, game-out, but I like what I've seen. I didn't have a chance to evaluate his catching ability, and obviously nobody sees pass-pro on a highlight reel, but he's big enough to be strong at it, if he makes the effort to learn, how Fred was not good at it but he put in the work, and became VERY good.

PS, sorry guys, I know I just pretty much changed the subject without even acknowledging the conversation was about Johnson, but I just had a post double this size written up, then I switched pages quick to get a link to post, and lost THE WHOLE THING, so I just recreated the Coleman part of it, which is where I leaned towards sayingwasmy favorite, after e v a l'ing the other guys. My take on Johnson is that his upper body doesn't seem to match his lower body, looking like Anthony Wright on the top, and legs look like Colton Schmitt. I know it's a smaller school so once he gets with a real NFL training staff, he could really improve and be where he should be by his second training camp, but as far as him contributing THIS YEAR, I'm not as interested in him as the rest of you seem to be. Doesn't seem to have next-level contact balance, so if ever meeting an NFL level player in the backfield, which is EVERYONE in the NFL, he will likely go down for a loss, instead of someone like Fred, who could scoot and wiggle and turn a -3 run into a 0 or +1 run.

And as far as Ajayi, he looks like he should be faster at that smaller size, but again doesn't seem like he has elite speed, seems to have inadequate contact-balance, and might be a duplicate of Bryce Brown. If either one of these guys were still on the board by our 2nd pick in Rd. 5, we would have a tough time not picking them as a BPA pick, if we didn't go RB with our 1st 2 picks, but it is impossible they're not LONG GONE by then.

Edited by BuffalothruMyVeins

I like Tevin Coleman, I think he possibly has the best upside of the backs I've seen this year. Has the big body, seems to have good-enough speed to be effective at the NFL level, and was productive at Indiana University, where the defense knew they were going to run him. I have seen 5 or so guys now (Coleman, Johnson, Ajayi, Abdullah, and one other), and though Abdullah seems like the most SURE THING to be a productive pro, Coleman seems like, if he goes to a team with a strong OL and TEs who can block, he will be a STAR, and could have a couple 1400 yard seasons.

He looks like a long-striding Frank Gore (which may or may not be a good thing). Seems to take a couple strides to hit his top gear (but maybe it's just him letting his blocks develop... Do I need to really add a disclaimer that I'm not a professional scout?), but once he hits his hole and gets through the LOS, he is big enough with enough speed to be a problem for the defense to bring down.

In college, they seemed to run a lot of sweeps and pitches, so I don't know if that was because he had a problem going immediately north-south, or if they had the athleticism instead of size on the OL so that's just how they utilized it, by getting out in space. With us probably bringing in a good blocking FB, and surely to greatly improve out G situation, I think he would do very well here. I would love to grab him in Rd. 2, and give him the ball 15+ times per game, even with Fred and Bryce on the team. I think we will be running it 35x per game, so that would still leave 20 carries for Fred, Bryce, and Boobie to figure out (though I feel us carrying Coleman, new FB, Fred, Bryce, Boobie might be too many backs, and one could be on the bubble at the end of TC).

Again, I haven't watched him game-in, game-out, but I like what I've seen. I didn't have a chance to evaluate his catching ability, and obviously nobody sees pass-pro on a highlight reel, but he's big enough to be strong at it, if he makes the effort to learn, how Fred was not good at it but he put in the work, and became VERY good.

Small hands, fumble problems, not elusive, high pad level, not a power runner, bad change of direction, dances around and is indecisive at the line of scrimmage...

Those are just a few of the things I remember Mayock and others saying about him. They also said his body is maxed out physically and he won't bulk up, doesn't have the frame for it.

So, with that...at 5-11, 205 lbs...I rather keep CJ Spiller, who is the same size and a much better RB. (Frank Gore weighs 10-15 more pounds than Coleman.)

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

I like him too, but where? I think taking him in the 3rd is a bit of a reach and I don't know that he'll make it to the 1st pick of round 5

Based on what? Right now scouts have him as a 2nd-3rd round pick. I like David Johnson, but would be concerned with the level of competition that he's faced. I would consider him in the 3rd round, but would prefer a Jeremy Langford. He's played against better competition and has still looked like a stud. I don't see that Ayayi kid making it out of the 2nd round. Most scouts have him as the 3rd or 4th best running back in the draft. Definitely behind Gurley and Gordon. At the end of the day, there's a decent pool of good running backs out there in the draft this year. However, when you start talking about the 4th round and later, the level of talent really tails off. We'll start talking about guys like Terrance Magee and Dominique Brown. These guys are projected to be nothing more than rotational switch up players rather than every down backs.

Based on what? Right now scouts have him as a 2nd-3rd round pick. I like David Johnson, but would be concerned with the level of competition that he's faced. I would consider him in the 3rd round, but would prefer a Jeremy Langford. He's played against better competition and has still looked like a stud. I don't see that Ayayi kid making it out of the 2nd round. Most scouts have him as the 3rd or 4th best running back in the draft. Definitely behind Gurley and Gordon. At the end of the day, there's a decent pool of good running backs out there in the draft this year. However, when you start talking about the 4th round and later, the level of talent really tails off. We'll start talking about guys like Terrance Magee and Dominique Brown. These guys are projected to be nothing more than rotational switch up players rather than every down backs.

Level of competition shouldn't be much of a concern, he proved himself at the senior bowl...and other backs have had success with weaker competition.

I like Langford too...Tyler Varga is also interesting to me. I just want someone with size and decent speed, everything else can be coached and developed.

What scouts? Gordon and Gurley are top tier this year, they are 1-2's then there's a log jam for RB's 2-12 and most of them will go in rounds 3-5