Poll: Who is the Greatest (QB) of all Time?

johnwalter

203 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest (QB) of all time?

• Tom Brady
    • Joe Montana
    • Johnny Unitas
    • Roger Staubach
    • Jim Kelly
    • Brett Frave
    • John Elway
    • Terry Bradshaw
    • Peyton Manning
    • No one G.O.A.T.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how the replies don't contain any Brady supporters, but the poll has him in 1st, ahead of Montana. The Brady supporters are out there... they're just shy about it.

you could change it to a public poll where you see who voted for whom (grammar gaff?)

Put a * next to Cheating Brady if not for the TUCK alone!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Where are Otto Graham, Archie Manning, Fran Tarkington and many others. Winning a superbowl has nothing to with greatness as a quarterback. It's a measure of greatness as a team. And it's really difficult to compare Montana to Brady. Montana played in an era of much better teams, because there was more continuity

Brady had illegal knowledge of te other teams defenses and that knowledge was illegally radioed to him.

And that is the only time that we know of. Who knows what else they have used to cheat.

No way Brady can be the GOAT. He is disqualified.

I have to consider performance at playoff and championships as well as regular season. I think the list for me would be::::Brady (gag!), Montana, Bradshaw, Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh.

So you are going with the quarterbacks who had the benefit of playing with the best teams. Fran Tarkington and Archie Manning are both worlds better than Bradshaw. They're better commentators too

The most shocking thing about the responses so far are the 5 votes for Manning. Guy can't win when it counts, he shouldn't even be in consideration.

Is it that, or maybe his teams tend to win more than they should, to put them in a position they are unfit for. Wins and losses are NOT attributed to the quarterback position.

Is it that, or maybe his teams tend to win more than they should, to put them in a position they are unfit for. Wins and losses are NOT attributed to the quarterback position.

Could be. But this is something that has dogged manning since s days in Tennessee. He can't win when it counts most, he's the opposite of clutch.

I'm not going to argue stats or accomplishments. Those have a lot to do with the coaching staffs and surrounding talent.

Just watching these guys in their prime - except Unitas who was already old when I got interested in football - I decided to vote for Manning. His command of the offense, ability to read the defense, and ball placement really stand out.

Other guys I considered were Brady, Montana (who, though talented, really excelled because of the West Coast offense) and Marino. Marino's quick release and accuracy have to be admired.

I can't say Kelly is underrated but people tend to remember his toughness and leadership. Fact is, he had a great arm too.

Dan Fouts was another guy with a great arm who deserves to be on this list. He was piling up yards before all the rule changes made it easy.

Troy Aikman didn't always impress in the regular season but had an annoying knack for shining when the spotlight was on.

Could be. But this is something that has dogged manning since s days in Tennessee. He can't win when it counts most, he's the opposite of clutch.

I think part of it is the more athletic defenses are becoming a problem for the traditional dropback quarterbacks. The NFL is trying to counterbalance, by giving calls to certain teams to keep that style relevant, but you will see more read option style play in the league, along with more spread offenses.They have to go with what is coming out of college and not expect players to adapt to them

Where are Otto Graham, Archie Manning, Fran Tarkington and many others. Winning a superbowl has nothing to with greatness as a quarterback. It's a measure of greatness as a team. And it's really difficult to compare Montana to Brady. Montana played in an era of much better teams, because there was more continuity

I agree - there are many great QBs who have never played on a SB winning team.

I remember Archie playing and that man was talented. Unfortunately, I don't think he ever played on a team that finished over .500 because the talent around him wasn't very good. If not for his sons, he'd be forgotten. I don't think Archie deserves to be in the "GOAT" conversation but he was certainly an elite QB.

I think part of it is the more athletic defenses are becoming a problem for the traditional dropback quarterbacks. The NFL is trying to counterbalance, by giving calls to certain teams to keep that style relevant, but you will see more read option style play in the league, along with more spread offenses.They have to go with what is coming out of college and not expect players to adapt to them

Certainly, but it's not like Brady isn't a traditional dropback QB and he played, and thrived, in the same NFL that Peyton put up a pedestrian 11-13 post season record against. Manning is terrific, he's fantastic. But his post season struggles and inability to win more than one ring in his career really disqualifies him from any GOAT talk in my mind. How can someone make the argument that he's the greatest when his brother, whom people generally think far less of, has twice the rings and an 8-3 record in games that matter?

The most shocking thing about the responses so far are the 5 votes for Manning. Guy can't win when it counts, he shouldn't even be in consideration.

If I was a HC and Manning was my QB, then the QB position would be the last of my worries. It's a team sport and Manning's teams have been inconsistent in the playoffs. Put Manning on the Pats and he'll collect rings.

Certainly, but it's not like Brady isn't a traditional dropback QB and he played, and thrived, in the same NFL that Peyton put up a pedestrian 11-13 post season record against. Manning is terrific, he's fantastic. But his post season struggles and inability to win more than one ring in his career really disqualifies him from any GOAT talk in my mind. How can someone make the argument that he's the greatest when his brother, whom people generally think far less of, has twice the rings and an 8-3 record in games that matter?

Well, I think Eli is the better of the two and always have- but the surrounding talkent and coaching styles/schemes of the teams are different. All we have to go on is gut feeling

If I was a HC and Manning was my QB, then the QB position would be the last of my worries. It's a team sport and Manning's teams have been inconsistent in the playoffs. Put Manning on the Pats and he'll collect rings.

Would he? It's not like he didn't have loaded teams on Indy, and in Denver they rebuilt the whole thing for him and he still failed. Something happens to Peyton when the lights get bright, he fades. It's just his MO.