The Dysfunctional GOP Congress

Tiberius

(Bloomberg) -- Congress is on track to end a showdown over Homeland Security Department spending and immigration policy after House Speaker John Boehner defied hard-line Republicans by allowing a vote on agency funding through September.

The House moved toward a vote Tuesday on a Senate-passed bill that doesn’t reverse President Barack Obama’s November orders on immigration. Boehner, an Ohio Republican, capitulated to Democratic demands to bring the bill up, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi immediately agreed to back the plan with votes from her caucus.

fail :nana:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn those Republicans for compromising for the national good! Next shoe to drop is to see if the Dem's who promised to support Republican efforts against POTUS' move to stop deportation of illegal immigrants come through as promised. Or will they take the DHS bill and run...?

The simple fact that you whine about blame the GOP holding up bills tells us all we need to know about how you view our government. It tells me you haven't been paying attention to the past four years.

So let's be honest...anyone who pays even a passing glance at politics knows the conservative right believes in smaller government adhering to the Constitution, reduced spending across the board, a balanced budget, strong military, and free market solutions. Less of government, more of the people. If you are convicted enough to blame the GOP for our country's woes, you're hopefully smart enough to have seen all the bills that have been presented to this regard and, again, tells me what I need to know.

What you are looking for is a reason to blame someone for the failures of the past six years, and in particular, anyone but the current president, which is curious in itself as you try to explain you are not a Democrat and didn't vote for Obama. That would suggest you're a Republican and voted for Romney, but we both know better, don't we.

Now we can sit here for days and point out faults of both parties, and in truth that's pretty much how we spend our days here now.

However the ONE truth you keep evading is that we have one person -- namely POTUS -- who we collectively elect to set the course and steer the ship. The very best presidents have done this in spite of opposition, via cooperation, compromise and positive rhetoric. They show an air of confidence in all they do, as well as belief that they want to be POTUS because they love this country and want it to be the worldwide leader in pretty much everything except curling.

What you refuse to acknowledge (again, for someone who claims they are not a Democrat and didn't vote for Obama), is that the current leader is interested in none of this. He doesn't lead. He has no sense of confidence. He is straight up focused on two things: the highest bidder and throwing around executive actions in hopes he can salvage whatever is left of his legacy.

I am not whining about the GOP holding up bills - where did I say that? BTW I try not to read links from blatantly slated sites - from either side - I tend to see them as a waste of time as they are totally predictable.

Ok - where are the GOP initiatives to reduce the size of government - REAL initiatives - not empty statements. Reducing the cost of government will require reduction in 3 things: SS, Defense and Health Care - I have not seen the GOP enact genuine efforts to reduce any of these three - which would lead to balancing the budget - how to you level reducing the cost of government and having a strong defense - and as well more involvement in the ME?

AFA Obama getting things done. From day one the GOP said it would do its level best to make sure he failed. You talk of "via cooperation, compromise and positive rhetoric" but the GOP/TP fails to meet any of these elements you set for behavior.

I spoke with a friend concerning the Clinton years. Those years were productive because newt was willing to work with Clinton and visa versa. There is no way no how that the GOP/TP House will compromise with BO on anything - they won't even open a dialogue with him - that is their stated tact.

Newt come into office and swept the election because he had a stated goal to get legislation passed - which he mapped out prior to the election - remember the "100 days" pact?

This GOP congress swept into majority on gerrymandered districts and the stated belief of a hate for BO - THAT'S the difference between the 1990's GOP and today's.

Why are you so worried about who I voted for? Standard litmus test? Someone who doesn't share the same vitriol for BO gotta be a liberal lefty correct?

Edited by baskin

I am not whining about the GOP holding up bills - where did I say that?

What is their vision for the country and how do they want to get there.....tell me there is more than holding up funding bills.....somewhere...

Sounds like whining to me.

The rest of your blather will have to wait for future mocking. But two things to note: first, the reason it worked with Clinton and Newt is because both of them wanted it to work. The reason it doesn't work with Barry and the GOP is because Barry spent his first two years telling the right to STFU, get on the back of the bus, and oh, yeah, "RACIST, RACIST, RACIST!!!"

Barry is exactly the kind of leader you get when you elect a community organizer as POTUS almost exclusively based on the color of his skin.

Meanwhile, find the Ryan budget, read it through, and then get back to me. It's a plan you keep wondering about without trying to find it.

I am not whining about the GOP holding up bills - where did I say that? BTW I try not to read links from blatantly slated sites - from either side - I tend to see them as a waste of time as they are totally predictable.

Ok - where are the GOP initiatives to reduce the size of government - REAL initiatives - not empty statements. Reducing the cost of government will require reduction in 3 things: SS, Defense and Health Care - I have not seen the GOP enact genuine efforts to reduce any of these three - which would lead to balancing the budget - how to you level reducing the cost of government and having a strong defense - and as well more involvement in the ME?

AFA Obama getting things done. From day one the GOP said it would do its level best to make sure he failed. You talk of "via cooperation, compromise and positive rhetoric" but the GOP/TP fails to meet any of these elements you set for behavior.

I spoke with a friend concerning the Clinton years. Those years were productive because newt was willing to work with Clinton and visa versa. There is no way no how that the GOP/TP House will compromise with BO on anything - they won't even open a dialogue with him - that is their stated tact.

Newt come into office and swept the election because he had a stated goal to get legislation passed - which he mapped out prior to the election - remember the "100 days" pact?

This GOP congress swept into majority on gerrymandered districts and the stated belief of a hate for BO - THAT'S the difference between the 1990's GOP and today's.

Why are you so worried about who I voted for? Standard litmus test? Someone who doesn't share the same vitriol for BO gotta be a liberal lefty correct?

The GOP took Obama seriously when he stated that he wanted to fundamentally change the U.S. The failure talk mainly came from Rush Limbaugh who was merely illustrating the point that he didn't want to go in Obama's stated direction, and hoped Obama would fail to be able to make those changes. You and the others who are misrepresenting the failure comments are about as transparent as a window.