Of Cheating and the past 15 years

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the patriot fans in here an why they so worried about what buffalo thinks or there fans say??? Damn This thing is all over the news! not just here. LOL I believe in a havin' Good luck and ya know balls bounce your way ect. I also believe in good play from good players. I suspect when Head Coach BB And Tom Brady are done. NE Patriots will be done

I just put this out as food for thought. The Patriots have not won a superbowl since spygate. In the losses they haven't exactly lit up the scoreboard...odd especially with some offensive juggernaut teams including the year they were deadly with Brady paired up with the likes of Randy Moss. Reports during spygate that went beyond the stealing of signals but also including unexplained radio frequencies.

We all know that feel good story of the Mark McQuire/Sosa homerun chase turned sour after it was learned that it was a steroid fueled deception. Bonds, Clemens and A-rod among others had their balloons burst. Lance Armstrong....oh how we wanted to believe a cancer survivor could do the unthinkable,...but live strong bracelets turned into a joke. Here's something not a lot of people talk about.....Tiger Woods,,,didnt he have some work done by a pretty shady Dr. from Canada? Cant find find good Drs in Palm Springs or Miami? Old timers start talking about the need in Golf for drug testing....Tiger no long the dominant force and the injuries mount. ..

I guess what Im saying is if you would try to game the rules over something as small as the air pressure in the ball....combined with a history of breaking more serious rules....well this movie may well be a re-run. Im not as naive as I use to be.

Edited by billsfan714

People try to excuse the cheating saying "it really did not effect the outcome". The Patriots have earned a reputation as "the best in the League".

But try to step back just a bit. I can't get past the thought that "If they are SO GOOD, why do they still find the NEED to cheat at every turn"? To persist even while getting caught and incurring fines and sanctions, suggests that Belicheat and Brady feel the cheating gives them an advantage and thus is worth the risk.

They humiliate and run up the scores every chance they get. If you win like that, why cheat? It leads many to suspect that what they have been caught doing is just the mere tip of the iceberg. It leads many of us to call into question every win the have had. Undoubtedly, every future win as well.

They have made a mockery of Goodell and the NFL.

People try to excuse the cheating saying "it really did not effect the outcome". The Patriots have earned a reputation as "the best in the League".

But try to step back just a bit. I can't get past the thought that "If they are SO GOOD, why do they still find the NEED to cheat at every turn"? To persist even while getting caught and incurring fines and sanctions, suggests that Belicheat and Brady feel the cheating gives them an advantage and thus is worth the risk.

They humiliate and run up the scores every chance they get. If you win like that, why cheat? It leads many to suspect that what they have been caught doing is just the mere tip of the iceberg. It leads many of us to call into question every win the have had. Undoubtedly, every future win as well.

They have made a mockery of Goodell and the NFL.

This was discussed in 2007...they run up the score just to prove to everyone they're THAT good that they don't need to cheat (though I think that's kind of a flawed argument). Belichick was basically saying "F all of you. I'll show you how good we really are."

I've been saying this for years - it astonishes me that their receivers are WIDE OPEN on almost every play, especially the crucial 3rd down plays. It's uncanny how easy they make it look. I let that go for a time, thinking I was just being too paranoid. Since Deflategate surfaced, I can't help but think they've been doing something illegal this whole time...i.e., since 2001. I'm pretty much convinced of it now.

Edited by BuffaloWings

This was discussed in 2007...they run up the score just to prove to everyone they're THAT good that they don't need to cheat (though I think that's kind of a flawed argument). Belichick was basically saying "F all of you. I'll show you how good we really are."

I've been saying this for years - it astonishes me that their receivers are WIDE OPEN on almost every play, especially the crucial 3rd down plays. It's uncanny how easy they make it look. I let that go for a time, thinking I was just being too paranoid. Since Deflategate surfaced, I can't help but think they've been doing something illegal this whole time...i.e., since 2001. I'm pretty much convinced of it now.

It's also equally uncanny how their defenders seen to be in the perfect spot make interceptions. Think back to the Pats-Bills Game in Foxboro in 2012. The final Fitz INT that killed the Bills comeback. Pats defender knew where the play was going and steps into the path of the throw. You have tho know what is coming before the snap to be that perfectly in position.

It's also equally uncanny how their defenders seen to be in the perfect spot make interceptions. Think back to the Pats-Bills Game in Foxboro in 2012. The final Fitz INT that killed the Bills comeback. Pats defender knew where the play was going and steps into the path of the throw. You have tho know what is coming before the snap to be that perfectly in position.

Don't mean to shoot you down, but wasn't that the throw to TJ Graham in the end zone where all of us were debating whether or not he ran the wrong route?

Regardless, I agree with you (I'm just not sure of your example). I can't count how many times where the defenders are right there to break up a pass or get the INT. The line of "it's as if they were in the other team's huddle" can apply to both sides of the ball.

The Patriots are the only team in the league that average MORE yards per carry in bad weather games than they do in fair weather games. Here's a breakdown of some of the top passing teams over 2010-2014:
screen-shot-2015-01-21-at-1-06-08-pm.png

OP, where'd you get this table from? Are we talking about YPA here? Is "cold" defined as 45 degrees or some other temperature? Was it an article? I'd be interested in seeing the narrative and context as well as seeing how the rest of the league matches up, particularly other cold weather teams like the Bears, Bills, and Browns.

To me this very well-written breakdown is about as close to a smoking gun as you can possibly get. It shows that the Patriots have been cheating for years.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

This is pretty fascinating stuff as well. I'd argue YPA (if that's what the above table represented) and fumble ratio are the two most important factors in the success of an offense.

OP, where'd you get this table from? Are we talking about YPA here? Is "cold" defined as 45 degrees or some other temperature? Was it an article? I'd be interested in seeing the narrative and context as well as seeing how the rest of the league matches up, particularly other cold weather teams like the Bears, Bills, and Browns.

This is pretty fascinating stuff as well. I'd argue YPA (if that's what the above table represented) and fumble ratio are the two most important factors in the success of an offense.

Yep it's yards per attempt. It was from an article on USA TODAY a couple days ago:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/01/21/the-patriots-pass-the-ball-unusually-well-in-cold-weather-compared-to-other-teams/

Don't mean to shoot you down, but wasn't that the throw to TJ Graham in the end zone where all of us were debating whether or not he ran the wrong route?

Regardless, I agree with you (I'm just not sure of your example). I can't count how many times where the defenders are right there to break up a pass or get the INT. The line of "it's as if they were in the other team's huddle" can apply to both sides of the ball.

I was at that game. Might have been to TJ and he might have ran the wrong route, which makes it even more suspicious that a Pats defender knew where the pass was going if he wasn't following TJ.

The running up the score part.... Some of that is probably their insecurity but you wonder if it isn't a bit strategic at times. Certainly one of the arguments their defenders have been using the most is "they won 45-7 so they would have won anyway." Is it possible they run the score up when they can to preserve that particular defense? "Look how much we won by. Why would we cheat, and even if we did, it wouldn't have affected the game."

off to adjust my tinfoil...

Former Panthers G.M. blasts Patriots for "culture of cheating" http://wp.me/p14QSB-9H2K

just read that. He'll always wonder if the Cheariots robbed him.

The Dynasty is tarnished!!!! so that is some consolation I guess

The running up the score part.... Some of that is probably their insecurity but you wonder if it isn't a bit strategic at times. Certainly one of the arguments their defenders have been using the most is "they won 45-7 so they would have won anyway." Is it possible they run the score up when they can to preserve that particular defense? "Look how much we won by. Why would we cheat, and even if we did, it wouldn't have affected the game."

off to adjust my tinfoil...

Run the damn ball once they reached 30 to 7 score. Indy was not going to pull off the upset.

Did I read that those passing yards broke a record for Cinderfella?

It's funny because there have been plenty of people that have been saying for years that the Patriots are cheaters. Not only because of Spygate, but because of their actual play. Anyone that watches a ton of football can tell you that the Patriots win so many games because they do almost everything better than every other team in the league. So much so that it defies logic. It simply didn't make sense for a team(even with Tom Brady) to be that consistently good for so many years in every little category that every other team struggles with. Every single team's passing game struggles in bad weather, except the Patriots. Every other team struggles with turnovers at some point, except the Patriots. Injuries to key players devastate every other team in the league, but not the Patriots. They lose half their starters and don't miss a beat. Lots of little things.
Yes, some of that can be attributed to Tom Brady being so good and Bill Bellichick being so smart. But not all of it. People that have been claiming the Patriots must be cheating, even before this deflation crap came out, said so because it's impossible to do what the Patriots do. It transcends having an amazing QB or coach.
Who knows how long they were filming opposing coaches' signals during games before they got caught in 2007? people also forget that they got busted for using weird radio signals during that same investigation. The league could never pin the exact reason, but it was most likely to listen to calls opposing teams were making. The official report says the Patriots "were found using several strange radio frequencies that the team could not properly give an excuse for." Who knows how many years they were using slightly under-inflated balls to make it easier for their offense to throw and catch, and making it easier for their ball carriers to not fumble? People saying this deflategate scandal isn't a big deal need to realize just how big an advantage something like that would give you over a period of time. Consider this:
The Patriots are the only team in the league that average MORE yards per carry in bad weather games than they do in fair weather games. Here's a breakdown of some of the top passing teams over 2010-2014:
screen-shot-2015-01-21-at-1-06-08-pm.png
And what about fumbles? Surely a huge game-changing event in any game. A deflated ball is much easier for a runner or WR to grip onto and not be stripped of. How have the Patriots' fumble stats stacked up over the past few years compared to the rest of the league?
2014: 2nd least fumbles lost
2013: t5th least fumbles lost
2012: t4th least fumbles lost
2011: t1st least fumbles lost
2010: 1st least fumbles lost
2009: t4th least fumbles lost
Am I to believe that every player on the Patriots roster over the past 5 years, even though they've gone through so many different RBs and WRs during that time, just happen to have some of the best hands in the league? No. The chances of that are slim to none. Ex Patriots players have also accused Bellichick of having players listed on the injury list practice during the week(which is illegal). if true it's no wonder his players never seem to come in "cold" after missing games due to injury. They come back and pick up right where they left off.
All of these things might seem minor, but when you add them all together, combined with god knows what other rules he's bending or breaking, it adds up to a distinct advantage that explains the Patriots' unexplainable consistent success over the past 15 years. Are the Patriots good? Really good? Yes. Are the Patriots as impossibly good as they've appeared to be over the past decade and a half? NO.
And now you know why I hate the Patriots.

This here is masterful...Well done!

We probably only know 10% of what these cheaters did. Yet people still ball wash them. Ironically these same people will rail against Bonds and Sosa for PED use.

Hilarious....and true! :thumbsup:

Run the damn ball once they reached 30 to 7 score. Indy was not going to pull off the upset.

Did I read that those passing yards broke a record for Cinderfella?

This...it's what all coaches do when their team is in complete control of the game (well, all except for Belichick and some high school coaches trying to prove themselves or whatever). It's called sportsmanship & professionalism, which apparently doesn't exist anymore. I'm not being soft, either. If you're up by 1 or maybe 2 scores, then you can keep throwing. When the game gets out of hand, that's when you pull it back a bit.

I remember the 2007 Pats game at Buffalo (game was flexed to Sunday night). It was something like 42-10 in the 4th when NE went for it on 4th & 3 from around the Buffalo 25. The entire crowd got on them...Brady converted and they went in for another TD. Every Pats fan/apologist kept on saying all year long "If you don't like us going for it, then make a defensive play and stop us." That wasn't the point.