My follow up lunch with Jerome Bettis and the Bettis show!

mellaman101

Just following up my last post about meeting him at his steak house here in Pittsburgh.

Went to the filming of the Jerome Bettis Show. They introduced some of the new coordinators and got right into Big Bens contract situation.

FIRST THING SAID IS BEN IS NOT GIVING A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT! Bettis said that is a fabricated word that ESPN created back when FA first started.

Ben wants paid to his abilities. Everyone got into the conversation big time and said with the Rooney’s history of not wanting big contract place, Ben may walk. This may be the case with a lot of players with them. The cap is another HUGE issue for Pittsburgh again this year and Ben’s numbers do not figure well.

They said Buffalo would be a huge landing spot considering they are only 2 linemen and a QB away from a SB run. Philly and Cinci were mentioned also as landing spots.

Doug Marone was talked about and this was said perfectly. Do not ever expect to see Doug get a HC position in the NFL in the next 10 years if ever.

1. He has a subpar resume and not a very good record as a HC

2. Buffalo took a major gamble on him and people said it was a money move hiring him in the first place. It was said Buffalo never paid for coaching under Wilson’s helm

3. The biggest thing was he walked away from his team and quit. He has very bad personality issues with uppers to include issues at Syracuse. People say they don’t like having his around because of his mouth and wants to be in control of everything. Everyone agreed and said he will be out of the league in the next couple of years.

Thanks for sharing! Would love to sign Ben, but he does have one more year on his current contract and I'm sure the Steelers are working hard to get something done.

I think the only big time player who gives anything akin to a "hometown discount" is Brady. We all have certain feelings toward the guy, but he is certainly committed to his team.

Thanks for sharing! Would love to sign Ben, but he does have one more year on his current contract and I'm sure the Steelers are working hard to get something done.

I think the only big time player who gives anything akin to a "hometown discount" is Brady. We all have certain feelings toward the guy, but he is certainly committed to his team.

JMO but I would be surprised if Rivers won't be wiling to do a Hometown Discount in SD.

Just following up my last post about meeting him at his steak house here in Pittsburgh.

Went to the filming of the Jerome Bettis Show. They introduced some of the new coordinators and got right into Big Bens contract situation.

FIRST THING SAID IS BEN IS NOT GIVING A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT! Bettis said that is a fabricated word that ESPN created back when FA first started.

Ben wants paid to his abilities. Everyone got into the conversation big time and said with the Rooney’s history of not wanting big contract place, Ben may walk. This may be the case with a lot of players with them. The cap is another HUGE issue for Pittsburgh again this year and Ben’s numbers do not figure well.

They said Buffalo would be a huge landing spot considering they are only 2 linemen and a QB away from a SB run. Philly and Cinci were mentioned also as landing spots.

Doug Marone was talked about and this was said perfectly. Do not ever expect to see Doug get a HC position in the NFL in the next 10 years if ever.

1. He has a subpar resume and not a very good record as a HC

2. Buffalo took a major gamble on him and people said it was a money move hiring him in the first place. It was said Buffalo never paid for coaching under Wilson’s helm

3. The biggest thing was he walked away from his team and quit. He has very bad personality issues with uppers to include issues at Syracuse. People say they don’t like having his around because of his mouth and wants to be in control of everything. Everyone agreed and said he will be out of the league in the next couple of years.

Interesting that people outside of Bills fans hold the same thoughts on maroon.There have been horrid hires for HC in Bills history but this one may have been the worst. Losing is one thing. Being an over inflated dildo and not always putting the team first is something else. Any good swag given out?

Big difference between 'discount' and 'renegotiating'. I would expect Pittsburgh to offer Ben something generous that spreads the cost out over some years and takes the pressure off the 2015 cap.

Obviously for the Bills signing Ben would be incredible and we'd all need new F5 keys, but I really can't see it happening. If he were an UFA this year I'd be much more optimistic.

Big difference between 'discount' and 'renegotiating'. I would expect Pittsburgh to offer Ben something generous that spreads the cost out over some years and takes the pressure off the 2015 cap.

Obviously for the Bills signing Ben would be incredible and we'd all need new F5 keys, but I really can't see it happening. If he were an UFA this year I'd be much more optimistic.

I would probably spread out the cost of new F5 keys on my devices for a few years, as well.

Interesting that people outside of Bills fans hold the same thoughts on maroon.There have been horrid hires for HC in Bills history but this one may have been the worst. Losing is one thing. Being an over inflated dildo and not always putting the team first is something else. Any good swag given out?

Also interesting is that many of the fans and media were perfectly fine with Doug Marrone staying on as the head coach of the Bills after the season ended. I was very frustrated they won the game against the Pats because I knew they would not fire him off a 9-7 season. Fans and media were still supporting him because they bought into his excuse of him having Manuel and Orton as his QBs for his putrid offensive game plans.

It's funny how bad he's become as a head coach since he quit. To me he was a loser after the first Patriots game this season when he targeted Sammy Watkins only three times at home. There was no getting me back from that. He was worse than Dick Jauron in my eyes.

EJ Manuel had to be the happiest man in that locker room when Marrone quit. He gets a rare fresh start with a very experienced NFL coaching staff. He will have a chance to either succeed or fail in a real NFL offense and that opportunity would have never come about with Doug Marrone still here.