Browns violated NFL rule if texted plays to sideline

YoloinOhio

I don't think you can do either. The call was the last time someone got fined for breaking the rule. You can't use any device unless it is NFL authorized, like the tablets being used on the sideline for sideline stuff.

Headsets, dude. Telephonic technology. Alexander Graham Bell. Every team uses that technology on game day.

No. Not really. Explain. Not being sarcastic. I don't know why the rule is ridiculous.

Because of technological progress. Why is a phone call OK but not a transcription sent through a phone line, cellular or otherwise? I mean, what's the difference? The info is still getting there, and about equally fast. There is nothing that can prevent coaches from receiving text messages in the booth. They can just call it down via a land line or whatever it is that's "authorized". It's just antiquated and stupid, that's all.

Because of technological progress. Why is a phone call OK but not a transcription sent through a phone line, cellular or otherwise? I mean, what's the difference? The info is still getting there, and about equally fast. There is nothing that can prevent coaches from receiving text messages in the booth. They can just call it down via a land line or whatever it is that's "authorized". It's just antiquated and stupid, that's all.

But a phone call isn't okay. That's what I was saying. You can't make phone calls.

The whole idea is to prevent teams from getting a competive advantage. Coaches cannot make phone calls. They can only communicate with other coaches in the booth or wherever they are. Doctors can make phone calls about injuries but not about anything strategic. Team officials cannot make any phone calls to coaches on the sidelines or anything strategic.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12142088/nfl-investigating-whether-text-messages-were-sent-cleveland-browns-sideline-games

But a phone call isn't okay. That's what I was saying. You can't make phone calls.

The whole idea is to prevent teams from getting a competive advantage. Coaches cannot make phone calls. They can only communicate with other coaches in the booth or wherever they are. Doctors can make phone calls about injuries but not about anything strategic. Team officials cannot make any phone calls to coaches on the sidelines or anything strategic.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12142088/nfl-investigating-whether-text-messages-were-sent-cleveland-browns-sideline-games

Wait wait wait. What the hell is a headset other than a phone call? Why are QBs always on phones calling up to the booth?

So OCs call plays from the press box -- in fact, after Kubiak had his mini-stroke he coached from the press box -- but you can't do it by text? Bizarre rule. Was this enacted out of concern for gambling/corruption? I don't really understand the "competitive advantage" thing -- if you wanted to stop that wouldn't you cut off all electronic communication? By the way, I like that rule -- let QBs call their own plays just like the good old days. If not, let 'em text!

So OCs call plays from the press box -- in fact, after Kubiak had his mini-stroke he coached from the press box -- but you can't do it by text? Bizarre rule. Was this enacted out of concern for gambling/corruption? I don't really understand the "competitive advantage" thing -- if you wanted to stop that wouldn't you cut off all electronic communication? By the way, I like that rule -- let QBs call their own plays just like the good old days. If not, let 'em text!

No, that's not it. They aren't really after the Browns about the text, they are after the Browns about the team official communicating with the coach on the sidelines during the game. They would be doing the exact same investigation if it were a call. Otherwise the officials could see something on the TV and relay it to the coaches that may affect the game. Or they could spy on stuff. Team officials cannot call or text or send carrier pigeons to coaches during the game from their suites or wherever they are.