What if our new coach is worse than Marrone?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be argued I suppose that Chip developed Foles. Foles had 7 TDs and 6 Ints under Reed. Since Chip arrived he's thrown 40 TDs and 12 Ints.

Sounds like some development has taken place.

Except 10 of those INT's occurred in 2014, where Foles was developed as the starter.

The brain trust didn't force Marrone out. The Buffalo media did. Their parrots did.

Thus, if the guy we end up with(and nothing says we will get our first choice, especially given how Marrone has been treated) isn't better than Marrone? It's not the brain trust's fault. They wanted to keep marrone.

No. It's the media and their parrots fault. Period.

C'mon really? The Buffalo media forced out Doug Marrone? Why, cause they questioned his "signature" win against Green Bay? Whats so wrong with that? Look at the game:

The Bills offense, which Doug freely admitted was his, didn't score a single TD. The offense put up a total of 253 yards against, what was at the time, a defense in the bottom third of the league. They were 0/2 in the redzone and 0/1 in goal to go situations. They had a total of 13 first downs compared to GB's 21!

So what's wrong with questioning if Doug is really the best man for the job? I mean the following week, against a team that they should of beat, the offense went out again and literally crapped the bed.

Does Doug deserve credit for hiring Pettine/Schwartz? Of course he does. Does he deserve any credit for the defensive game planning and calls made during the season. No. He deserves zero credit for that. The guy didn't know Jerry Hughes had been benched!

Maybe some fans are saying Doug was the worst coach, ever. It certainly isn't me. IMO he was "ok" but I see nothing wrong with questioning whether he is the best guy for the job. Getting to 9-7 shouldn't be the barometer for success, especially since 1 win came against a Pats* team resting starters. Would I have been happy at 9-7 if you told me that in training camp? Sure, that's about where I had them pegged but as the season went along it was obvious to most observers this team was better than 9-7. In that sense, Doug failed. He played not to lose so he could get his winning season and pad his resume.

And I don't blame him for opting out. It made sense for him.

You know as well as I do what will happen OC. Each media "expert" who doesn't see "his guy" hired will start surreptitiously undermining the new hire from day 1 with articles questioning their resume and their history. Then when we get to the grind of OTAs and camp they will start with the negative, destructive line of questioning at press conference. Then when we lose one of our pre-season games the "I think the sky is falling" articles will begin. Then should we drop below .500 at some point next season (even after 1 game) they will point out how Marrone was never below .500 in 2014. Then by mid season if we are not atop of the AFC East they will start suggesting that the sensible thing for the Pegulas to do is blow it all up and start again...... and the usual suspects on this board will nod their heads and wag their tails.

Rinse and repeat.

Yep, that's a very good assessment.

Of course he doesn't

Keep pretending you know what you're talking about.

http://www.buffaloguild.org/2013/02/07/2013-state-of-the-news/

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2012/02/14/buffalo-news-reports-lowest-profits-in.html?page=all

For the first time in at least 25 years annual operating profits at the Buffalo News fell below $10 million and the paper

http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffett-buying-newspapers-2013-3

From that article

:"At our cost, however, I believe these papers will meet or exceed our economic test for acquisitions. Results to date support that belief"[/size]

BTW, just hit me you had no clue Buffet bought the news in 1977....as community philanthropy right when the internet was getting big

. [/size]

But keep pressing how you are smarter than Warren Buffet Mr. Consultant boy , and spew the trash on this and other subjects you know nothing about.

Ready for round 3?

The problem is that your strategy totally backfired in this thread. Instead of making your point, you have riled many of the posters including some respected ones (despite your conviction to the contrary). You may choose to justify your position based on your professional career but the attitude you took and the way you chose to construct + defend your argument leaves a lot to be desired. You started off with a simple enough question which is worthy of discussion - matters can indeed get worse. But that hypothesis went out the window when you started down the "Marrone quit due to the media" path (which I entirely see what you were trying to do there) and proceeded to defend your supposedly brilliant debating strategy by a bunch of attacks and aggressive posts which worked totally against you.

3 knockdowns. Looks like a TKO. Bout over.

You don't have to look outside Buffalo to find coaches worse than DM. We've already had 'way worse' and I worry every day that we'll get a new coach who will be as bad as Harvey Johnson, Jim Ringo, Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough or Gregg Williams.

Then again, I hope every day that we get someone much better than DM.

Worry and hope, always in some kind of balance. Isn't that the life of a Bills fan?

Appreciate the assist RedDogBlitz above in respect to highlighting the coaching prowess of Coach Chip Kelly.

Here we have two coaches coming into the NFL at the same time period, but one is obviously a smart, innovative winner, while the other is a shallow-text quitter. There's little doubt Coach Kelly could elevate EJ's game, while all the texting quitter did was waste a full year of an organization's time handling the same player.

There's winners like Coach Kelly, and then there's sneak out of town Marrrone, who I hope doesn't have anything to do with an influx of new posters out of the Bronx. If so, hey "coach", take a lesson from the Marines...never, ever leave your men behind and slip away quietly into the night tip-toeing like a mouse.

Edited by Lombardi1

Just remember, everything that went right for the Bills was in spite of Marrone, everything that was wrong was all because of him. The games the team won were because the other team gave them the win, or because they didn't have their full starting line up. They are also the first NFL team to have wins not count as wins because the team didn't deserve them

Marrone will also never get another job again cause he used a clause in his contract and he sent a text to tell players.

Just remember, everything that went right for the Bills was in spite of Marrone, everything that was wrong was all because of him. The games the team won were because the other team gave them the win, or because they didn't have their full starting line up. They are also the first NFL team to have wins not count as wins because the team didn't deserve them Marrone will also never get another job again cause he used a clause in his contract and he sent a text to tell players.

Precisely. They should have easily been 11 and 5 if not for coaching.