Too many cooks in the Kitchen ?

It is a fans prerogative to do so. I don't get caught up in the drama of millionaire excuse making, nor have I ever paid much attention to interviews from the players, coaches, and front office types. Every team is what their record says they are. Every game is one highly specific situation after another that can't be looked at accurately without context of everything else on the field that precedes it in chronological order. For me that is the beauty of football. Broad statistical averages say absolutely nothing about match ups and situational football. The only outcomes that matter to me are winning or losing. Nothing these guys say will change their past performance. I don't need their eye witness testimony when there is a video of the events. Ray Rice would agree. Using interviews to gain context of what is not understood by watching the game itself is a waste of time. I am happy that Marrone is gone. I am also happy that they were 9-7. Obviously, it's JMO. The guy wasn't wrong about everything, just as it is true that Whaley hasn't been right about everything on the offensive side of the ball.

It sounds like you've removed the human element out of sports entirely. That's not an enjoyable way to go about investing your time in rooting for a team IMO. And I thoroughly disagree that video says everything about a specific play. You said so for yourself, each game is a highly specific series of events (debatable whether these are chronological or not) where the smallest misstep leads to a specific outcome. Video doesn't do justice in trying to understand what went through a specific players mind on a specific play. I for one love it when I hear someone share their experiences without the standard cliches. No. It doesn't change the overall records but it didn't come off to me like he was making any excuses.

Edited by stony

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same OL last year finished top 3 in rushing. They are not all that horrible.

it wasn't the same OL as last year. 2 different guards and a new right tackle. Pears and Urbik were at new positions, Williams started at LG, Richardson played a few games at LG.... not the same line.

It sounds like you've removed the human element out of sports entirely. That's not an enjoyable way to go about investing your time in rooting for a team IMO. And I thoroughly disagree that video says everything about a specific play. You said so for yourself, each game is a highly specific series of events (debatable whether these are chronological or not) where the smallest misstep leads to a specific outcome. Video doesn't do justice in trying to understand what went through a specific players mind on a specific play. I for one love it when I hear someone share their experiences without the standard cliches. No. It doesn't change the overall records but it didn't come off to me like he was making any excuses.

yup.

and i dont think anyone is saying this line would be GREAT without marrone, but that with scheme and coaching you might be able to get a little bit more out of them.

Listening to Eric Wood on GR, he said that Marrone, Morris, the TE coach and somebody else were constantly on the Oline to get better. Could it be that the players were confused as to what to do because one guy says do this and another that, leading to paralysis by analysis? Also he indicated that the coaches were bashing them just as much as the fans and media, could they have ruined their self confidence and this led to their regression?

the offensive line was a weakness.

coaches encouraging players to get better and attempting to coach em up ?? oh the outrage.

ruin their confidence ?? orange slices and participation medals for everyone.

It bears mentioning that Eric Wood was a player in physical decline this year. There's not much that coaches can do about that. More generally, players usually don't stay the same from year to year. Maintaining the status quo is one of three possibilities, along with decline and improvement.