Head Coach candidate: Pat Shurmur

YoloinOhio

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So was Bellicheat.

Belichick was an elite coordinator before becoming a head coach (unlike Shurmur), and he had more success as a head coach with Cleveland than Shurmur did. Granted, Belichick's tenure with the Browns didn't go well. Shurmur's was a lot worse, though. Doing your due diligence and talking to a lot of candidates is terrific, but not when you're so meticulous that you end up scraping the bottom of the barrel - as the Bills are in this case.

I would not write off Pat Shurmur as some are ready to do. He has an excellent resume as an offensive coach including OL, QB, and OC. The Browns were then, and are now, the definition of dumpster fire. It would certainly be worth talking to him and getting his perspective on what was wrong with Cleveland, but lack of talent was certainly a huge issue with those teams.

For me, HC experience in the NFL would be number 1 on my wish list. The Bills are close and the last thing we need is someone learning on the job. This is what scares me about the hot coordinator of the year candidates. Shurmur has HC experience, a great offensive resume (including now access to Chip Kelly's offense), and would inherit a great defense and a great DC. Much different situation than in Cleveland during his last go.

One edit: I just looked it up, and his first coaching hire was Dick Jauron, to replace Rob Ryan. That is uninspiring.

Dick Jauron was a very good DC.