Who should have the final say in choosing a player?

gjv001

We've been hearing a lot about the operations of the Bills Front Office on the matter of player selection. My opinion is that a Head Coach should be in control of the type of player is to be on the roster. If Marrone did not have that control with the Bills, than I can see him taking advantage of the generous exit clause in his contract. What head coach, worth his salt, would like to be subservient of roster control to someone else in the organization. Especially someone he does not have a good relationship with.

We've been hearing a lot about the operations of the Bills Front Office on the matter of player selection. My opinion is that a Head Coach should be in control of the type of player is to be on the roster. If Marrone did not have that control with the Bills, than I can see him taking advantage of the generous exit clause in his contract. What head coach, worth his salt, would like to be subservient of roster control to someone else in the organization. Especially someone he does not have a good relationship with.

About 28 teams have the GM do it, about 4 have the coach do it. The only ones who do are the biggest name coaches, Bellicheat, Carroll, Andy Reid and now as of yesterday, Kelly. The coach has too much to worry about. He doesn't scout or watch film on guys he doesnt have.

I think it is why you need guys on the same page. If I am an owner I want my GM in charge of recruitment but I want he and the Head Coach on the same page in respect of what they want out of each and every position. That is how the Seahwaks actually work. Carroll brought in his own GM and they want the same things. They know what they are looking for at every position.

About 28 teams have the GM do it, about 4 have the coach do it. The only ones who do are the biggest name coaches, Bellicheat, Carroll, Andy Reid and now as of yesterday, Kelly. The coach has too much to worry about. He doesn't scout or watch film on guys he doesnt have.

Only coaches who have player control are Belicheat, Reid and now Kelly. Carroll has roster control but Peter McLoughlin controls draft and FA.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/1/25/5343964/nfl-power-structures-who-really-runs-a-team

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Only coaches who have player control are Belicheat, Reid and now Kelly. Carroll has roster control but Peter McLoughlin controls draft and FA.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/1/25/5343964/nfl-power-structures-who-really-runs-a-team

They report to him. Carroll hired Schneider. They work together. Carroll has complete control over roster so if he wants a guy out he is out. It was described somewhere as Schneider presents a menu and Carroll picks from that menu. That is not McLoughlin. If you had to pick one guy who has most control over who is on the Seahawks it is Carroll and not Schneider or McLoughlin.

"If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries.” - Bill Parcells

"I'll always revere him for what he did, because he took us from being the laughingstock of the NFL to the top of the mountain," Mara said. "

That quote's not about the Tuna, BTW

"The Giants had not made a postseason appearance in 15 years when Young was hired by the club in 1979. In building the Giants he placed special emphasis on theNFL Draft. From his inaugural draft in 1979 through the 1995 selection process, he succeeded in signing every player drafted over that span, and from those drafts, a total of 119 players made the club at one time or another. Instrumental in his reversal of the Giants’ fortunes was his drafting of standout players such as Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Morris, and Carl Banks, and selecting Bill Parcells as the club’s head coach."