mike lupica piece - Marrone is Richie Kotite redux

I'm thinking that the Jets may actually be smart for once and hire a GM before they hire a coach. I want them to hire Marrone but they may not. A couple other teams may jump and start hiring guys. It would be awesome if Marrone was not getting the looks or offers and then had to settle for a terrible job in a place he was the third choice. He'll land a job somewhere. But I think it's going to be his last NFL coaching job.

I'm thinking that the Jets may actually be smart for once and hire a GM before they hire a coach. I want them to hire Marrone but they may not. A couple other teams may jump and start hiring guys. It would be awesome if Marrone was not getting the looks or offers and then had to settle for a terrible job in a place he was the third choice. He'll land a job somewhere. But I think it's going to be his last NFL coaching job.

He's pry "demanding" to be coach AND GM! lol

This may not end well for him, and unless there's a piece of the story missing, he may deserve it.

Listen, I'm not at all unhappy that Marrone is gone, although just wish that Whaley and Brandon and a few others (Overdorf, Majeski) would have gone too.

But honestly, if there is something missing it's that this team overachieved this season and it's not likely that they'll repeat. I think that many fans are missing that this team just as easily could have been 6-10 again but ended up with a winning season primarily only because the Pats didn't care about that last game.

Otherwise, we won three games, two that we should have had no trouble winning, by 3 points or less. This season we came out on top of that one for a change. But there were no other games that we came close to winning.

We did lose a bunch because we couldn't stop the run though. Denver, Oakland, KC, Miami. GB and the Vikes were only in those games because of their running games. (158 yards apiece) All this by a DC that supposedly specializes in stopping the run? This is making no sense.

We have the worst RB situation I can ever remember having, a QB situation that's also the same, both perhaps the worst ever for this franchise. OL issues. A D that can't seem to stop the run when it matters most with everyone raving about the D.

No 1st-round pick while our divisional opponents do. Hughes likely to leave the team unless we overpay him if his "hometown discount" statements are correct.

This team just happened to max out this year, it's not all that different from last season's team. The looming changes, besides the change of change itself, don't spell that things are moving forward here.

Looking at this from Marrone's perspective, an offensive guy, this looks like a prime time to head up and bolt outta here. Not that his stock is all that great, but I don't ever think that it's going to be higher. Imagine if we go back to 6-10 next year and he'd have stayed. He'll be worthless then and cement his fate as never getting another HC job. At least now there's enough doubt to warrant that some team might take a chance. If not, he rests a year and goes back to college.

I can easily see why he left. Seems like the most sensible decision to me from his angle.

Edited by TaskersGhost