(OT) Bye Bye NHL

Like A Mofo

I'm to the point where I think the league should reorganize, start from square one, write a fair revenue sharing plan and a salary cap into the league constitution and start hiring players.  They would have to drop ticket prices because they would have mostly young players and no stars, but they could rebuild the league and in 5-10 years have a decent product.  Screw the union on this one.  Let 'em play in Europe.

The LAST thing the owners want is to reorganize/start over. If that were to happen, the players would simply form their own league and thus have the superior product.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both sides just need to find a common ground, slaries need to come down and tickets too, its very simple.

And if you all think the NHL must have a salary cap to ensure different teams winning the Cup, competitive balance etc, consider this:

Baseball has had 4 different WS Champions without a cap.

The NFL, in all its glory and their cap being almost regal to most people, have a team in the Pats that has win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, and another team in the Eagles that has at least reached the Final 4 four straight seasons: I thought the cap stopped all that?

NBA: Didnt the Lakers win 3 in a row and get to another Finals recently?

232078[/snapback]

I agree with you that the bottom line is that ticket prices to an NHL hockey game are a joke. If they can drop the ticket prices and make money without implementing a cap then great. All I know is that if ticket prices don't come down, f*** the Sabres and the NHL and give Buffalo an AHL team.

Alaska Darin  Feb 5 2005, 02:00 AM Post #69 

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

Member No.: 923

QUOTE(MarkVaderr50 @ Feb 4 2005, 08:53 PM)

I am deeply depressed about this. With iving in San Jose all my life, this city was always in the shadows of San Francisco & Oakland. Then when the NHL awarded San Jose with a franchise, finally we were on the map, and no longer just the silicon valley. I love the Sharks and going to their games is always a blast. There are real hockey fans that go to the game to have fun, not to just be there with the crowd, as Stevestojan said the Panthers fans do. I have been to several playoff games as well, and nothing is more exciting.

I agree with you Mad. Bring in replacement players. Let's see some hockey from players who actually care about playing.

I want my Sharks hockey back.

GO BILLS!!!!!

GO SHARKS!!!

I was there the year the OV line and Arturs Irbe upset the number 1 seeded Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the playoffs. It was really something to behold. There are some good hockey fans in San Jose - most of them ain't FROM San Jose, however.

I will never forget that moment. Unfortunately I had to work that day, so I could only listen to the game on the radio. You are probably correct Darin that not all the hockey fans are originally from San Jose. We have lots of transplants. There are lots of Red Wings fans out here. I can tell you that San Jose does have lots of sports fans though. I could guarantee you that most 49'ers, Raiders, A's, & Giants fans come from San Jose. This city has turned out in droves for Sharks games since they got here. It's a shame that the one pro sports franchise that we may ever have in this city is in a corrupt league.

College hockey my friends...now thats where the real hockey is played...those kids just want to win...

Go Clarkson!!!! Lets go Tech!!!!

231793[/snapback]

College hockey is HOT! I'm a Northern Michigan Wildcat Alumni! These kids have 100% hustle. Even though I still love the Sabres!

5056 members and nobody used Marv Levy until now? Good stuff.

232333[/snapback]

Yeah, I was pretty surprised that no one used it too. But then again, I did go to Harvard and lost 4 consecutive Super Bowls! Damn!

oh, but this was a hockey thread on last check.

Seriously, I love hockey and this whole ego thing between these guys is getting ridiculous. They are ruining my favorite sport and I even like it better than football. Amazing, huh? I'd even go for replacement players right now. I just can't stand to watch Basketball, Poker or Nascar - they all suck!! :w00t:

Seriously, I love hockey and this whole ego thing between these guys is getting ridiculous. They are ruining my favorite sport and I even like it better than football. Amazing, huh? I'd even go for replacement players right now. I just can't stand to watch Basketball, Poker or Nascar - they all suck!!

This is the first year I have ever purchased the Center Ice Package (living in NJ, I was pumped to be able to watch all the Sabres games) and no no season...

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Bettman

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Players

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Owners

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: The Player's Union

And :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: The Maple Leafs, still hate them even if they arent playing LOL

Update:

Deadline?

TSN.ca Staff

2/9/2005

There might be a drop-dead date to the NHL season after all.

According to a report in the Los Angeles Times, the league is prepared to issue a deadline of Monday or Tuesday to reach a labour agreement with the NHL Players' Association before canceling what's left of the 2004-05 season.

Sources told the paper that the league will contact the NHLPA today or tomorrow and inform them of the timeline.

Interesting thought....If there is no season, is the draft conducted over the summer based on records from two years ago??  I've become so disinterested, I can't remember who the Sabres even drafted in the first round last year.

233905[/snapback]

They drafted Winger Drew Stafford playing for North Dakota Fighting Souix in the WCHA. He was the leading point getter for the USA junior team that just played a month and a half ago. The Sabres should be getting a quality guy when he matures and this stupid lockout ends.

They drafted Thomas Vanek the year before Stafford and he is turning out to be a offensive STUD! We can only hope this is the beginning for him. Former Golden Gopher too. Won a NCAA championship two yrs ago in HSBC arena.

NHL made a "compromise" offer today. I had to read it twice to understand it. It's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo that in the end includes a hard salary cap so it will be rejected and the season will finally be canceled. Read the "compromise" and if I read it correctly, condition "C" would be the hard salary cap. The NHL said "OK, we will accept the players last offfer for a luxury tax system but no more than two teams can have a payroll of over $42 million". That's a great compromise. Not. I guess the NHL thinks that the players can't read so good.

TORONTO (Feb. 9, 2005) - In a final effort to achieve a compromise between the NHL and the NHLPA, and commence playing hockey this season, the National Hockey League today made a CBA proposal to the NHL Players' Association.

"We believe this proposal should form the basis for a fair agreement among the Players and the Clubs," said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.

Under the terms of this proposal, the NHL is prepared to accept the NHLPA's December 9, 2004 Payroll Tax proposal, with certain exceptions, provided that the terms of the CBA will automatically and immediately convert to those contemplated in the League's February 2, 2005 proposal, in the event certain economic and competitive conditions referred to below occur during the term of the proposed CBA.

Any one of four economic and competitive conditions would "trigger" conversion to the terms outlined in the NHL's February 2, 2005 proposal:

A. League-wide Player Compensation exceeds 55 percent of League-wide hockey revenues; or

B. The average of Club Payroll for highest three Payroll Clubs in the League is more than 33 percent higher than the average of Club Payroll for the lowest three Payroll Clubs in the League; or

C. Any three Clubs each have Club Player Compensation in excess of $42 million; or

D. League-wide average Player Compensation per Club exceeds $36.5 million.

Upon conversion, the terms of the NHL's February 2, 2005 proposal would become effective, and would be the governing terms of the CBA -- replacing the terms of the NHLPA's December 9, 2004 proposal -- and any "excess" payments made by the Clubs to the Players would be recouped.

They drafted Winger Drew Stafford playing for North Dakota Fighting Souix in the WCHA. He was the leading point getter for the USA junior team that just played a month and a half ago. The Sabres should be getting a quality guy when he matures and this stupid lockout ends.

They drafted Thomas Vanek the year before Stafford and he is turning out to be a offensive STUD! We can only hope this is the beginning for him. Former Golden Gopher too. Won a NCAA championship two yrs ago in HSBC arena.

234084[/snapback]

Thanks for the reminder on Stafford. I remember following his play a little during the WJC, but forgot about him after that. I saw Vanek at HSBC earlier this year. He does have some great offensive skills, but was disappointed at his lack of physcial play(considering his size) and his lack of attention to play in his own zone. I hope to get to Rochester one or two times before the end of the season. They have been on fire.... one loss in 20+ games before last night when they lost during the shoot out.

NHL made a "compromise" offer today. I had to read it twice to understand it. It's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo that in the end includes a hard salary cap so it will be rejected and the season will finally be canceled. Read the "compromise" and  if I read it correctly, condition "C" would be the hard salary cap. The NHL said "OK, we will accept the players last offfer for a luxury tax system but no more than two teams can have a payroll of over $42 million". That's a great compromise. Not. I guess the NHL thinks that the players can't read so good. 

TORONTO (Feb. 9, 2005) - In a final effort to achieve a compromise between the NHL and the NHLPA, and commence playing hockey this season, the National Hockey League today made a CBA proposal to the NHL Players' Association.

"We believe this proposal should form the basis for a fair agreement among the Players and the Clubs," said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.

Under the terms of this proposal, the NHL is prepared to accept the NHLPA's December 9, 2004 Payroll Tax proposal, with certain exceptions, provided that the terms of the CBA will automatically and immediately convert to those contemplated in the League's February 2, 2005 proposal, in the event certain economic and competitive conditions referred to below occur during the term of the proposed CBA.

Any one of four economic and competitive conditions would "trigger" conversion to the terms outlined in the NHL's February 2, 2005 proposal:

A. League-wide Player Compensation exceeds 55 percent of League-wide hockey revenues; or

B. The average of Club Payroll for highest three Payroll Clubs in the League is more than 33 percent higher than the average of Club Payroll for the lowest three Payroll Clubs in the League; or

C. Any three Clubs each have Club Player Compensation in excess of $42 million; or

D. League-wide average Player Compensation per Club exceeds $36.5 million.

Upon conversion, the terms of the NHL's February 2, 2005 proposal would become effective, and would be the governing terms of the CBA -- replacing the terms of the NHLPA's December 9, 2004 proposal -- and any "excess" payments made by the Clubs to the Players would be recouped.

234173[/snapback]

The above proposal was a brilliant move by the owners.

When the NHL declares an impasse and implements its own plan unilaterally next year, the Union will have a really tough time arguing bad faith. The owners can document their many efforts to compromise, including the last one which actually adopts the Union's proposal, although with limitation.

The Owners have been adamant that they need a system which provides some certainty over payroll costs. The players have been too pig headed to even consider the economics facing the league.

So, now the players will be forced to play under a hard cap, with rookie wage scale, revenue sharing, modified free agency and NO guaranteed contracts if they want to make even a fraction of what they making before.

Some will go to Europe, but their compensation will be a fraction of what they made in the old NHL.

Another day: Another bleak update.

Its over, now Im totally convicned, just end it already you morons!

NHL Update

2/10/2005

The already bleak prospects for an NHL season have taken yet another turn for worse, possibly for the final time.

Sources tell TSN talks between the NHL and NHLPA have broken off and that today's session was largely unproductive.

At this point, it doesn't look as though any further negotiations are planned and it's quite probable that the deadline set yesterday by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman - he said they must be well on their way to writing up a new CBA on the weekend or the season would be cancelled - will come and go without any agreement.

Another day:  Another bleak update.

Its over, now Im totally convicned, just end it already you morons!

NHL Update

2/10/2005

The already bleak prospects for an NHL season have taken yet another turn for worse, possibly for the final time.

Sources tell TSN talks between the NHL and NHLPA have broken off and that today's session was largely unproductive.

At this point, it doesn't look as though any further negotiations are planned and it's quite probable that the deadline set yesterday by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman - he said they must be well on their way to writing up a new CBA on the weekend or the season would be cancelled - will come and go without any agreement.

234894[/snapback]

f*** the players. I hope the owners stick it up their a$$ next year too if they continue to resist a salary cap. The players are a bunch of dumb a-holes being misled by a bunch of greedy a-holes aka nhlpa leadership.