(OT) Bye Bye NHL

Like A Mofo

Whats the NHL?

TSN.ca Staff with files

2/4/2005

Sudden-death NHL labour talks ended Friday and early word is that they ended badly.

A source close to the talks said things did not go well in a four-hour meeting in New York between the NHL and NHL Players' Association that wrapped up at 3 p.m. EST.

NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow spoke briefly to reporters after the meeting, saying there was no progress to report and no further talks planned.

Goodenow also said that while he hoped the lines of communication would stay open, he was headed back to Toronto.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and his right-hand man, executive vice-president Bill Daly, weren't immediately available for comment.

With the season on the line, the two sides resumed discussions following nine hours of talks the previous day but headway was not made.

The meeting was supposed to be at secret location but Canadian television networks tracked down the site in Manhattan.

Bettman and Goodenow were involved in the talks for the first time since mid-December but 13 hours of talks did not produce the miracle agreement.

Few expected any good news to come out of the meetings Thursday and Friday after the NHLPA rejected the NHL's latest offer Wednesday.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can really tell the people who are from Buffalo and those that are not when you open a NHL thread... those that don't care can't POSSIBLY be from Buffalo.

I mean, if you've ever been to a Sabres/Leafs game and don't care about the possible demise of hockey, then you just never understood what an amazing game it is..

f---ing players... god damn it.

The NHL what with their rule changes through the years have become like the NBA - a sports equivalent of "Entertainment Tonight", or that idiotic pro wrestling garbage.

RIP and good riddance.

228639[/snapback]

I wish the regular season was half as entertaining as the WWE. I'm only kind of kidding.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Gary Bettemen. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Owners. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Players.

The NHL what with their rule changes through the years have become like the NBA - a sports equivalent of "Entertainment Tonight", or that idiotic pro wrestling garbage.

RIP and good riddance.

228639[/snapback]

See, I hear people compare the NHL & NBA and in my mind they are light years apart.

The NBA has issues, but in towns with good franchises there is still interest. The NHL is as irrelevant as the push-button transmission.

I wish the regular season was half as entertaining as the WWE.  I'm only kind of kidding.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  Gary Bettemen.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Owners.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  Players.

228644[/snapback]

Unfortunately, :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Buffalo for building them a house.

See, I hear people compare the NHL & NBA and in my mind they are light years apart.

The NBA has issues, but in towns with good franchises there is still interest.  The NHL is as irrelevant as the push-button transmission.

228647[/snapback]

???

I had a '62 Plymouth Belvedere 4-door with a 318 1-barrel and a push-button TorqueFlight and it worked just fine. :lol:

The NBA has issues, but in towns with good franchises there is still interest.  The NHL is as irrelevant as the push-button transmission.

228647[/snapback]

If you keep watching E$PN and all their garbage, that is true.

So what if the NHL isnt mainstream media? Shoot, its probably BETTER OFF that way.

This can still be a good thing for the NHL, IF they get rid of Bettman and get a HOCKEY guy in as the commish...not some punk who generalized the league like Bettman did...IF they get rid of Goodenow, and IF they make rules changes and lower ticket prices to make it the great game it once WAS!!!

Go to Ontario and say that.

Just because it isnt huge south of the Mason Dixon line, doesn't mean people don't care...

228657[/snapback]

Must suck for America Jr. that they have to rely on us to bring them their national sport at the highest level. :lol: