Hard Knocks here we come?

Justice

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams can choose to be on it. But teams with first year coaches, and those who made the playoffs, are exempt from being forced to do it.

I was trying to use sarc humor - indicating the Bills make the playoffs this 2015 season ergo can't be forced to do HK.

I'm sure I posted the Bills were ineligible in the first few pages 5 months ago. As stated unless the rules changed they could not be "selected"

• 2 months later...

I am not sure if the the rule is that they "won't pick" teams with new coaches, but rather, they will not force a team with a new coach to participate.

Because they have had such a difficult time drawing teams to do the show over the past years, about 2 years ago, the NFL mandated that every team will be forced to participate at some time or another. No team in their first year with a new coach will be forced to participate, though, as I understand it, they could volunteer. I think too, they will not require a Super Bowl participating team to participate the following season. Also, no team will ever be forced to participate more than once within (I believe) 5 years. Like it or not, the Bills will be on it sooner than later. For those who have watched the series faithfully, I think most would agree, the Rex/Jets season was the most entertaining of all. Rex swears like a mother!@#$er. I loved hearing the pious Tony Dungy among others, get so upset with Rex.

If there is really no downside, why is it so hard to find teams who will participate?

With zero upside to a team (other than the minor publicity, which no NFL team really needs) they will continue to find it hard to attract willing teams. I'm sure the revenue generated by the show is a tiny drop in the NFL's bucket--but, yes they are greedy and would like to keep every drop. But at what internal cost? If you continue having to force teams to appear---well, let's just say that has to be divisive in the owner's room.

I predict this show will disappear well before all 32 NFL teams participate.

If there is really no downside, why is it so hard to find teams who will participate?

With zero upside to a team (other than the minor publicity, which no NFL team really needs) they will continue to find it hard to attract willing teams. I'm sure the revenue generated by the show is a tiny drop in the NFL's bucket--but, yes they are greedy and would like to keep every drop. But at what internal cost? If you continue having to force teams to appear---well, let's just say that has to be divisive in the owner's room.

I predict this show will disappear well before all 32 NFL teams participate.

I agree, but would kill to see the Patriots version. Belichick mumbling through meetings, all players clearly under threat of immediate release if they say a word, etc. It would be the ultimate anti-drama.

You don't think it's going to last another 24 years at minimum? Bold stuff.

That was one of my "bold predictions" for this year. Seriously though, it wouldn't take many years to include every team if they changed their criteria for opting out. But mostly I made that statement because a couple posters insisted EVERY TEAM would be on the show, at some point. I just don't think the show has those kind of legs.

But then again, people still watch professional wrestling. Never underestimate the poor taste of the moronic viewing public!