Why Not Tuel Time?

rfk

If the Bills lose Sunday, I think there will be plenty of front office discussion about who to start at QB. In this scenario I think we will end up seeing EJ against the Raiders, with all sorts of Whaley-Marrone headlines leading up to the game.

At that point the needs of the organization (figuring out what you truly have in EJ) will be more important than a W. If Marrone fights that too hard, Whaley will see that Marrone is putting his need to improve his record above the org's needs. If Marrone fights too hard, he'll get the boot.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Tuel looked great in the game against KC. He made one rookie mistake, otherwise he did pretty well. I liked that he would at least take some shots downfield as opposed to EJ. He actually completed some nice passes and throws a nice ball.

He looked fine in the first 15 scripted plays, and then as soon as the real game plan had to kick in, he was lost. He threw two brutal interceptions (nobody seems to remember the one on which he airmailed Chandler by 15 yards in his own territory) and badly missed on two deep throws late in the game.

He wasn't good. He was a 48% passer that hit one deep throw and turned the ball over twice despite having the benefit of a run game that racked up over 240 yards on the ground.

No thanks on Tuel.

He looked fine in the first 15 scripted plays, and then as soon as the real game plan had to kick in, he was lost. He threw two brutal interceptions (nobody seems to remember the one on which he airmailed Chandler by 15 yards in his own territory) and badly missed on two deep throws late in the game.

He wasn't good. He was a 48% passer that hit one deep throw and turned the ball over twice despite having the benefit of a run game that racked up over 240 yards on the ground.

No thanks on Tuel.

The guy was a rookie in his first start against a playoff team with a great defense. For his first start, I thought he showed a lot of promise.

That said, I don't think they would bypass EJ to start Tuel.

The guy was a rookie in his first start against a playoff team with a great defense. For his first start, I thought he showed a lot of promise.

That said, I don't think they would bypass EJ to start Tuel.

I respect your football opinion, so serious question: what about his performance did you like? I'm willing to listen...

Because the Bills picked EJ Manuel 16th overall and he beats Tuel in almost every statistical category that judges QBs. Manuel's quarterback rating is double and his QBR is quadruple that of Tuel.

I hope that there is an intelligent mind over at OBD that will fire Marrone and pull the plug on Orton (if they do lose) and play their former first rd QB pick EJ Manuel in the last two real NFL games. Because they will get no read on Manuel's progress in practices and pre season games. Manuel's biggest problem (above numerous problems) is staying clam and overcoming the pressure of real NFL games. The Bills would be STUPID not to play Manuel in the last two real games because they need as much information as possible regarding Manuel's progress going into the off season. QB is this team's number one issue after they fire Marrone.

EJ Manuel is terrible, has no accuracy and will never be a starting QB in the NFL. Time to turn the page.

EJ Manuel is terrible, has no accuracy and will never be a starting QB in the NFL. Time to turn the page.

Terrible in comparison to what? I think it's worth putting in perspective that his performance in terms of completion percentage, wins/losses, YPG, etc. when compared to other QBs over their first 14 games is actually quite respectable.

I respect your football opinion, so serious question: what about his performance did you like? I'm willing to listen...

Thanks, man.

I loved his poise in the pocket; he was very quick with his decisions and felt the rush well. I think I was really impressed with that because that was Thad's weakness.

I also liked how he tried to go down the field and not just dump off.

Obviously, there were some weaknesses too (like accuracy, arm strength, picks). But I just wonder what he would be like with more experience.

Thanks, man.

I loved his poise in the pocket; he was very quick with his decisions and felt the rush well. I think I was really impressed with that because that was Thad's weakness.

I also liked how he tried to go down the field and not just dump off.

Obviously, there were some weaknesses too (like accuracy, arm strength, picks). But I just wonder what he would be like with more experience.

Fair enough. For me, it seemed more bad than good with the quality of his accuracy and decision-making waning as the game went on, which has/had me in a spot where I don't want to see anymore from him.

You are right, though, that his strengths seemed to be the antithesis of Thad's.

Fair enough. For me, it seemed more bad than good with the quality of his accuracy and decision-making waning as the game went on, which has/had me in a spot where I don't want to see anymore from him.

You are right, though, that his strengths seemed to be the antithesis of Thad's.

I guess the the other issue is: what's the end goal with him?

For me, I would love to see him developed into a very competent No. 2 QB-- almost in the veteran Chad Pennington mold (smart, good with the ball, but limited in skill set). But he needs more game action to get there.

After Rogers surgically annihilates the Bills or more specifically the Bills Offense does, I propose starting Tuel..we know what EJ and Orton bring. I'm not suggesting Tuel will ever be a playoff bound starter but is he even worth the time and effort to keep around as a number 2?...lets find out.

We have nothing to lose and can gain a few spots up the draft ladder.

You don't audition for #2 spots.

After Rogers surgically annihilates the Bills or more specifically the Bills Offense does, I propose starting Tuel..we know what EJ and Orton bring. I'm not suggesting Tuel will ever be a playoff bound starter but is he even worth the time and effort to keep around as a number 2?...lets find out.

We have nothing to lose and can gain a few spots up the draft ladder.

Glad you are looking past one of the most important and exciting Bills games in many years. You do know that they are 4-4 on the road, they have a weak run defense, and our defense is actually really good? It will be a very tough game for us, but as definitely not to be looked past.

Oh well, I will still humor your original post.

The reason you don't start Tuel is that he is not as good as EJ and Orton. If we are eliminated from the playoff chase, which could happen Sunday, but is unlikely (because even with a loss we still could have some 9-7 hypotheticals, and you don't quit when you are alive), we can play our final two games focused on developing and evaluating. I still think getting our 8th win is really important, and trying for our 9th after that is really important.

Tuel can get some late game playing time, but has no reason to start. EJ is the wild card. I think this game is crucial for Orton. If he loses it AND struggles, I think there is a strong case that EJ is just as good to help us win the next game, and it also gives the front office a chance to see if EJ has improved on decision making and accuracy during his benching. They probably have a really good idea from practice reps on his progress, and if Tuel has come close to either of the other two.

And then you mentioned the draft ladder. You know we don't have a first round pick next year, and moving from #48 to #46 isn't really worth sandbagging and not doing everything you can to avoid another losing season right?

Glad you are looking past one of the most important and exciting Bills games in many years. You do know that they are 4-4 on the road, they have a weak run defense, and our defense is actually really good? It will be a very tough game for us, but as definitely not to be looked past.

Oh well, I will still humor your original post.

The reason you don't start Tuel is that he is not as good as EJ and Orton. If we are eliminated from the playoff chase, which could happen Sunday, but is unlikely (because even with a loss we still could have some 9-7 hypotheticals, and you don't quit when you are alive), we can play our final two games focused on developing and evaluating. I still think getting our 8th win is really important, and trying for our 9th after that is really important.

Tuel can get some late game playing time, but has no reason to start. EJ is the wild card. I think this game is crucial for Orton. If he loses it AND struggles, I think there is a strong case that EJ is just as good to help us win the next game, and it also gives the front office a chance to see if EJ has improved on decision making and accuracy during his benching. They probably have a really good idea from practice reps on his progress, and if Tuel has come close to either of the other two.

And then you mentioned the draft ladder. You know we don't have a first round pick next year, and moving from #48 to #46 isn't really worth sandbagging and not doing everything you can to avoid another losing season right?

well said!