Jeremy White All-22

The Big Cat

One of the biggest issues we have on the offensive side of the ball is the lack of experience in the WR corps. Robert Woods is the senior member of the group and he has a grand total of 27 starts. Watkins has 13 and Hogan has 10. That's 50 starts between the three of them. Each of Denver's top three receivers have over 66 NFL games and Welker alone has 164.

When you match that up with questionable interior line play, a QB who got no preseason practice time, a pretty inexperienced OC who is guilty of questionable play calling, you don't have an accepted recipe for long term success. It's one of the things that makes what's going on with Mike Williams even more maddening.

I have been saying this for a while now which is why I have said repeatedly in the shoutbox that some of the expectations are ridiculous and cant even be justified . The passing offense has gone from around 28th last season to around 17th right now . Yet the expectations that the people are pushing would push it to the top ten if they were met .No one thought two months ago that we would be starting Orton with the expectation that we would pass our way to victory every single game precisely because of the issues you named.

The apparent problems with non aggressive play calling fits right into what normally happens when inexperienced coaches find out they have a dominant defense . They tend to become risk adverse in certain situations because the defense will keep them in it when it fact they should be even more aggressive because the defense will keep them in it . In this the year walking a fine line because of the O-line and inexperience of the receivers so you know mistakes are coming but I feel a faster more aggressive playstyle would allow us to play through our mistakes easier.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id be curious Wawrows take on the mood around the offense. there seems to be a lot more of the questioning of roles/expectations there than the other side. id guess theres a leadership vacuum of sorts without a probowl veteran or proven coach on that side of the ball.

I give Schwartz all the credit in the world for this defense. I really do. To me though the unsung hero is Brandon Spikes. He brought a certain attitude and ferociousness that is evident on the defense.

They really had to throw that much given how far down they were. Also, their running game is terrible - completely unable to break big plays.

Sorry man, I don't agree. The Bills were leading 10-7 at the half, and rushing for an average of 4.2 YPC. Plus, Spiller & Jackson were both playing at that time.

Both teams were sucking in the first quarter and all they both did was mostly 3 plays, and out, then punt.

The Bills started the game 1st series, pass, pass, pass, punt.

2nd series, run, sack, pass-penalty roughing, run, pass, run, punt.

3rd series, run, sack, pass punt.

4th series, pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, penalty(Richardson false start), run, pass, pass, pass, timeout, run, timeout, penalty (false start on Glenn), pass, FG- on this series the Bills went 13 plays, for 57 yards, and a FG. The Bills started running mostly Fred Jackson, and he was getting big plays in the run game.

5th series 8 plays, 49 yards, TD. Run, pass, pass, run, run, timeout, run, pass, pass to Sammy TD.

So, once the Bills started running Freddy, and he was able to break some big gains, and then so did Spiller.

18 passes, 13 rushes at the half by Buffalo

What changed the entire structure of the game was near the start of the 3rd quarter Fitz threw an INT, and the Bills had the ball at the Houston 19. Spiller Run, Spiller Run, pass intercepted by JJ Watt, and returned for 80 yards for a Texans TD.

From that point on thru the next two quarters the Bills only ran 10 times, and EJ threw 26 times. The rest of the game went, punt, punt, punt, punt, TD, punt, INT. Asking EJ to throw it 44 times in that game was just lame, and they should have run more with Freddy getting the ball, as he was averaging 4.7 YPC. Its like this offensive coaching staff has no clue who has the hot hand, and who is getting stuffed at the line.

The Bills lost that game 17-23, and if not for that pick six at the Texans 19 yard line...

Hogan? Dixon? Sammy is playing very well. Woods is better this year than last.

Mmmmmm Damn man I forgot about all of them. But that is game set match

Hogan playing great compared to what? A different number 3 receiver? yay!

Dixon playing good on offense? Nothing special at all on offense. He is a great punt blocker though.

Sammy - 1 or 2 games? not exactly number one receiver talent. He should be a true threat in every game when he is healthy. He has not been a true threat in many games.

Woods - 1 great game. And lots of dropped passes in every other game. Again...not exactly stellar talent.

I will concede you Hogan. But none of those other guys are playing good enough football...none of them.

According to Jeremy White and half the mind slaves on this board, it is all Orton. Before that it was all Thad or Jeff Tuel or EJ.

I am more convinced than ever that Hackett sucks even more than I used to think.

I admit the picks were bad in the Denver game. I never said they weren't. Both bad decisions.

Too say woods is not playing football this year is to throw your credibility out the window. And sometimes Orton is not seeing Sammy open. The offense isn't anything to mention but neither is Orton. They both are wastes of 60 minutes ob game day

Hogan playing great compared to what? A different number 3 receiver? yay!

Dixon playing good on offense? Nothing special at all on offense. He is a great punt blocker though.

Sammy - 1 or 2 games? not exactly number one receiver talent. He should be a true threat in every game when he is healthy. He has not been a true threat in many games.

Woods - 1 great game. And lots of dropped passes in every other game. Again...not exactly stellar talent.

I will concede you Hogan. But none of those other guys are playing good enough football...none of them.

According to Jeremy White and half the mind slaves on this board, it is all Orton. Before that it was all Thad or Jeff Tuel or EJ.

I am more convinced than ever that Hackett sucks even more than I used to think.

I admit the picks were bad in the Denver game. I never said they weren't. Both bad decisions.

Too say woods is not playing football this year is to throw your credibility out the window. And sometimes Orton is not seeing Sammy open. The offense isn't anything to mention but neither is Orton. They both are wastes of 60 minutes on game day

See the thing is that I don't think any of those players you mentioned are bad players. I happen to think they are all pretty good. I think Woods and Watkins in particular are both GREAT talents.

And if there hasn't been one single quarterback who could get them the ball with any consistency in 2 years, then yes, I become increasingly suspicious that it is more the play design or scheme as opposed to the individual players' fault.

And what about all the other players on that offense? Are any of them playing better than average? And how many of them are even playing up to average? They're not. Position by position on offense you can go right down the row and say they are all underperforming with regularity. And I refuse to think that is because all 11 of those players are just bad players or just playing bad because they are in some kind of funk. It is up to the coaches to get players to perform to their best. The Bills aren't doing that with friggin anybody on offense. Not anybody.

Give Dixon some credit and I apologize. He has been better than I expected too date

Well I am glad that at least you admit pretty much nobody on that offense except maybe Henderson is playing better than any reasonably logical person would expect. Just admitting that fact alone is somewhat of an indictment of the offensive coaching of this team.

I stated how I would attack Green Bay in another thread on this forum. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173974-offensive-strategy-for-beating-the-packers-this-sunday/

In general, I would run a spread offense and have Orton operating out of shotgun. I would run lots of draws and shovel passes out of the shotgun which should help compensate for poor run blocking. In fact, the Bills did it a few weeks ago and it worked well. (can't think of which game, but I distinctly remember them doing it because I was talking about them needing to try it on this forum leading up to whatever game that was.)

I would have my speed guys (Goodwin & Watkins) running more go routes and Chandler using the middle of the field frequently in the passing game.

I would be telling Orton he has my full blessing to throw deep as many times as he can as long as it is single coverage on the receiver. If he throws a pick, so be it.

I would also experiment with letting Orton run the two minute drill the entire game or at least during more parts of the game especially after the Bills get a turnover from the other team.

I would throw for the home run the first play every single time the other team committed a turnover.

Those are some of the things I would try off the top of my head.

Chan it IS you. Why don't you come back to coaching lol

I have been saying this for a while now which is why I have said repeatedly in the shoutbox that some of the expectations are ridiculous and cant even be justified . The passing offense has gone from around 28th last season to around 17th right now . Yet the expectations that the people are pushing would push it to the top ten if they were met .No one thought two months ago that we would be starting Orton with the expectation that we would pass our way to victory every single game precisely because of the issues you named.

The apparent problems with non aggressive play calling fits right into what normally happens when inexperienced coaches find out they have a dominant defense . They tend to become risk adverse in certain situations because the defense will keep them in it when it fact they should be even more aggressive because the defense will keep them in it . In this the year walking a fine line because of the O-line and inexperience of the receivers so you know mistakes are coming but I feel a faster more aggressive playstyle would allow us to play through our mistakes easier.

I agree with everything you said and I'm guilty of not reading much of what's posted on this board because so many people just regurgitate the crap that's said on WGR (I am at the point now where I can only listen to Jeremy and Howard).

I am not a fan of Marrone. He comes across to me as a wishy-washy guy who has no business as a leader of men.

I agree with everything you said and I'm guilty of not reading much of what's posted on this board because so many people just regurgitate the crap that's said on WGR (I am at the point now where I can only listen to Jeremy and Howard).

I am not a fan of Marrone. He comes across to me as a wishy-washy guy who has no business as a leader of men.

You've got that backwards dude....

Those schmucks come to this forum to find material for their shows. They talk about these topics because these are the topics that Bills fans are discussing around water coolers.

Seriously.... pay close attention to what is said here and then pay attention to what the topics are on the sports talk shows. It is humorous. They literally come here for ideas about what to talk about. After a game, you will here a point made here before you will hear it on that radio station.