Offensive Strategy For Beating The Packers This Sunday

PolishDave

Here is my offensive strategy for the Bills to succeed against the Packers this weekend.

1) First play of game on offense - flea flicker pass to Goodwin on a go route.

2) Then work on trying to establish the power running game the rest of the first quarter. (not every play of course, but a majority of them)

3) If the power running game is working successfully, stick with it.

4) If running the ball is not working well by the end of the first quarter or so, then switch to shotgun formation as the standard formation for most plays.

5) Be sure to try running draws and shovel passes from shotgun in addition to the normal passing plays.

6) Mix in one deep shot to Goodwin or Watkins every other set of downs.

7) After any offensive play that goes for more than a ten yard gain, go into no huddle hurry up mode and step on the gas.

8) If the Bills are able to create any turnovers from Green Bay, then the very first play after the turnover should be a deep sideline pass to Watkins or Goodwin depending on which one draws single coverage. This should happen every time there is a turnover unless the field position results in the Bills getting the ball within 20 yards of the Packers’ end zone.

What strategy would you use?

Here is my offensive strategy for the Bills to succeed against the Packers this weekend.

1) First play of game on offense - flea flicker pass to Goodwin on a go route.

2) Then work on trying to establish the power running game the rest of the first quarter. (not every play of course, but a majority of them)

3) If the power running game is working successfully, stick with it.

4) If running the ball is not working well by the end of the first quarter or so, then switch to shotgun formation as the standard formation for most plays.

5) Be sure to try running draws and shovel passes from shotgun in addition to the normal passing plays.

6) Mix in one deep shot to Goodwin or Watkins every other set of downs.

7) After any offensive play that goes for more than a ten yard gain, go into no huddle hurry up mode and step on the gas.

8) If the Bills are able to create any turnovers from Green Bay, then the very first play after the turnover should be a deep sideline pass to Watkins or Goodwin depending on which one draws single coverage. This should happen every time there is a turnover unless the field position results in the Bills getting the ball within 20 yards of the Packers’ end zone.

What strategy would you use?

Yum kool aid

1. Run the two-minute drill from the get-go (and don't worry about the defense spending too much time on the field).

2. Let Orton run the show (without interference from the OC).

3. Start Brown and use Jackson/Dixon as change-up options.

4. Move Urbik to RG and start anyone..ANYONE else at LG (Richardson, Hairston, Lee Smith, Frank Summers- who cares).

5. Whenever you're facing 4th and 2 or less, go for it (irregardless of position on the field).

6. On said 4th down and shorts, insert Manuel into the game and run designed roll-outs giving him the option of running or throwing (preferably running). At least EJ can run - let him do it over the immoble Orton.

1. Run the two-minute drill from the get-go (and don't worry about the defense spending too much time on the field).

2. Let Orton run the show (without interference from the OC).

3. Start Brown and use Jackson/Dixon as change-up options.

4. Move Urbik to RG and start anyone..ANYONE else at LG (Richardson, Hairston, Lee Smith, Frank Summers- who cares).

5. Whenever you're facing 4th and 2 or less, go for it (irregardless of position on the field).

6. On said 4th down and shorts, insert Manuel into the game and run designed roll-outs giving him the option of running or throwing (preferably running). At least EJ can run - let him do it over the immoble Orton.

I like the EJ option on fourth down with one exception. I wouldn't actually have EJ run the play. I would have him go in there and try to draw the defense offsides on a hard count. The defense wouldn't expect EJ to come in. It would surprise them. That might make them forget that they are in a position where the other team might try to draw them offsides. And in that scenario it might just work. That fourth down and two inside their own 30 would be a place to try something like that. If they don't bite on it, then punt.

How about onside kicks in the first half? When the receiving team is expecting them the recovery rate for the kick team is 60%. It goes down to 20% or worse when its done at the end of a game and the receiving team is expecting it.

Marrone, On onside kicks:

"So obviously, we do an onside kick about half the time, obviously when we think they aren't expecting it. Obviously, we will try to recover them but thats a matter of execution and I am the first guy to say we need to execute better, we can't execute poorly, obviously, we have to improve there. And thats up to players and the coaches and it starts with me, you guys know, obviously, I'm the head coach, so it starts with me. As a team we have to work our butts off and, obviously, we need to make plays and we feel that this is a way we can make plays by doing onsides kicks, obviously they don't always work because its hard to recover onside kicks in this league, obviously, and we know that, we know we have to do better so we tell the players all the time, "hey, if you see a loose ball on an onsides kick, you should, obviously, recover it" so they know that, the players know that obviously, so thats what we as an organization have to focus on, working hard and doing our jobs. I'm sorry but that I think that is all the time we have.....

Definitely control time of possession with the running game. Keep Rodgers off the field as long as possible.

Work the screen game even though our o-line really isn't as athletic as it needs to be. This will keep pass rush under control.

Don't be afraid to take a couple shots deep down the field each qtr to keep the defense honest.

I'd even throw in a jet sweep or two using both Watkins and Goodwin.

Make the front 7 respect the draw plays to keep them up front long enough to hit a couple 15-20 yard strikes to Chandler down the middle of the field.

NO TURNOVERS

NO idiot penalties. Can't afford to have big plays negated or drives stalled.

Jackson & Woods will be the key players to open things up for Watkins later on in the game. Go to them early and often.