Buffalo Bills #3 Defense by Football Outsiders.

1B4IDie

The Bills are now the #3 Defense by Football outsiders! What is interesting is the Broncos are #1 in the unintelligent NFL.com defensive team rankings, Where inexplicably the Bills D moved down after spanking the Browns. I guess they'll settle it on the field of play Sunday in Denver.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Let's see what happens APM (After Peyton Manning) but live it up for now.

Edit:

I tried to delete this thread but couldn't. I originally read it as the Bills were #1

Edited by Why So Serious?

Interesting.

We are actually #1 in weighted defense which gives more weight to recent performances and less weight to early season performances, better capturing how a team is performing currently (while still giving some weight to how they performed over the whole season).

We are also the sixth most consistent team in terms of variance. Meaning that contrary to popular opinion, we haven't built our whole rating on waxing the Jets twice. So overall, we have been a consistently strong defense that is getting slightly stronger as the season progresses.

I'm so interested to see what happens when we take this D into Denver. I have no idea what to expect really. I would only be surprised if they really fell apart, as that has not been their MO.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I'm so interested to see what happens when we take this D into Denver. I have not idea what to expect really. I would only be surprised if they really fell apart, as that has not been their MO.

The biggest thing I give Marrone in his 28 games as Head Coach so far is that this team does not quit on him. I got sick of seeing the team quit on Chan Gailey, particularly in the back half of year 2 and throughout year 3. This team keeps playing. I'd be amazed if it quits on the game Sunday even if they get behind... although at some point as a defender on this team you gotta start wondering when your offense is gonna help you out.

Did anyone see Donnie Henderson laying into the secondary on the Aaron Williams wired for sound video when they had "got away with one"? Saying "we gotta play better." As much as Schwartz deserves a lot of credit we have a high quality of defensive coaches too. Fred Pagac who served as a DC in Minnesota with the backers, Henderson who was a DC in Detorit and with the Jets and then Pepper Johnson who came across from New England with the D-Line. They are not the usual dime a dozen assistant coaches that the Bills have hired in the past and compare them to the offensive staff and the difference in the performance of those units looks a little better explained.

. . . As much as Schwartz deserves a lot of credit we have a high quality of defensive coaches too. Fred Pagac who served as a DC in Minnesota with the backers, Henderson who was a DC in Detorit and with the Jets and then Pepper Johnson who came across from New England with the D-Line. They are not the usual dime a dozen assistant coaches that the Bills have hired in the past and compare them to the offensive staff and the difference in the performance of those units looks a little better explained.

That is an outstanding point Gunner, it really is an All-Star line-up of coaches on the Defensive side of the ball. And I agree, if we could upgrade on the O side, i think it would make a big difference.

The biggest thing I give Marrone in his 28 games as Head Coach so far is that this team does not quit on him. I got sick of seeing the team quit on Chan Gailey, particularly in the back half of year 2 and throughout year 3. This team keeps playing. I'd be amazed if it quits on the game Sunday even if they get behind... although at some point as a defender on this team you gotta start wondering when your offense is gonna help you out.

Did anyone see Donnie Henderson laying into the secondary on the Aaron Williams wired for sound video when they had "got away with one"? Saying "we gotta play better." As much as Schwartz deserves a lot of credit we have a high quality of defensive coaches too. Fred Pagac who served as a DC in Minnesota with the backers, Henderson who was a DC in Detorit and with the Jets and then Pepper Johnson who came across from New England with the D-Line. They are not the usual dime a dozen assistant coaches that the Bills have hired in the past and compare them to the offensive staff and the difference in the performance of those units looks a little better explained.

one assistant who has been tasked with defending manning every year at least once if not twice with playoffs is Pepper Johnson. He had been at NE since Brady was QB and in that time they played Colts/Broncos almost every urease as their respective teams were always in 1st place. NE won a lot of those matchups. That should help.

The biggest thing I give Marrone in his 28 games as Head Coach so far is that this team does not quit on him. I got sick of seeing the team quit on Chan Gailey, particularly in the back half of year 2 and throughout year 3. This team keeps playing.

Actually Morrone is 1/1 with the team quitting on him. That Tampa game was a travesty.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/gamecast?gameId=331208027&version=mobile&src=desktop

I'd be amazed if it quits on the game Sunday even if they get behind... although at some point as a defender on this team you gotta start wondering when your offense is gonna help you out.

I think part of the reason the Defense hasn't quit (yet) is the Bills will never be under .500 this season, assuming an @ Oakland win.

If the Defense shuts Manning down and keeps him under 21 points and the offense just poops the bed. The defense may not be able to get it up for Rodgers but so far the defense has been impressive in their persistence.

I think you got right though that is an all star cast of defensive coaches. They deserve the credit.

Interesting.

We are actually #1 in weighted defense which gives more weight to recent performances and less weight to early season performances, better capturing how a team is performing currently (while still giving some weight to how they performed over the whole season).

We are also the sixth most consistent team in terms of variance. Meaning that contrary to popular opinion, we haven't built our whole rating on waxing the Jets twice. So overall, we have been a consistently strong defense that is getting slightly stronger as the season progresses.

I'm so interested to see what happens when we take this D into Denver. I have no idea what to expect really. I would only be surprised if they really fell apart, as that has not been their MO.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't understand the weighted average.

We are #1!

Interesting.

I don't think that's popular opinion on the defense at all- those two games are where the offense got to pad scoring stats. I think we all agree the D has looked good straight through.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't think that's popular opinion on the defense at all- those two games are where the offense got to pad scoring stats. I think we all agree the D has looked good straight through.

Agreed. I didn't mean popular opinion on this board or among Bills fans. I think most of us are impressed with how consistent the D has been. The only time they really haven't looked like themselves to me, was the second half of the Pats game. Even in the San Diego game I thought they played pretty well.

I meant more the fans of opposing teams who seem to like to attribute our D's performance to having played Geno Smith/Michael Vick twice.

The real test, as everyone knows, will be the three games against The Broncs, Pack and Cheaters.

That said... looking at all factors... it's hard to argue that the Bills do no have the very best defense in the league considering Points against, Yards, Sacks, Turnovers, Third Down Percentage, Yards and Points per drive, Good against run and the pass, and especially, lacking an offense that scores and controls the ball.