(OT) What's going on with you local police

Frez

This is an affidavit from a person who was shot by a Watertown City police officer. Thought some here would enjoy reading this. The City cop is now locked up in jail waiting for his day in court. He has hired a big time NYC lawyer. His father was a police officer with the Watertown Police for many many years.

Affidavit from Ryan Dorr

How can we swing this into being Drew Bledsoe's fault? :w00t:

Seriously, that's fugged up. That's exactly why i'm not getting in the middle of anyone's personal problems, friend or not. I bet the guy didn't know exactly what he was getting into, now he'll probably have scars and injuries for life because of this.

Some of you know that I am a Law Enforcement Officer, some of you may not. Being in the profession, I would like to comment.

The job can change a person, especially the longer you are in it. We literally see society at it's worst, on a daily basis. I have almost eleven years under my belt and I am not the same person I was, when I started. I am a bit more cynical and less trusting, as a rule. Subtle changes in your personality are common, but not to the extent that the officer in this case reached. It sounds like he had serious issues, even before he became an Officer.

I am not surprised by the dark side of humanity, either. You might be surprised what some of the people you know and trust are capable of, under the right circumstances.

With that being said, if you have a large enough sample of people, you are bound to have a few "really bad apples", so to speak. The percentages are consistent and Police Officers are no different......the Officer in this story is, thankfully, in the extreme minority. Heck, he could have been a teacher, a truck driver or mail carrier............his job had less to do with his profession, then his mental state.

The Officer (an insult to even use that term with a subject like that) should have been investigated by his agency, long before the situation reached it's sad conclusion. I know that safeguards exist, for that reason.

I can't speak for his department, but, I know that my agency is extremely aggressive when one of it's own, starts to display disturbing, or unusual behavior. For example, if one of us has too many "uses of force", in a listed time period (justified, or not), we are flagged and monitored to make sure it is an abberration and not a trend.

Or, when an initial complaint, like the one listed in the story, is made. Essentially, he was stalking the female (at the very least), even before the shooting, and that is a crime in any State.

Had that been done in my area (stalking, battery), his gun (or guns) and badge would have been taken, and he would have been put on administrative leave, pending the disposition of the case. He would have been scheduled for a fitness for duty evaluation, including a psychological profile, had he been found innocent (before he was allowed to return).

Would it have been enough to stop the shooting from taking place? Hard to say, but it would have given the authorities a chance.

I hope the victim(s) are able to recover and I hope the former officer is prosecuted to the fullest extent.

And, if any of you are in a similar situation, don't wait to report it.

Mike

Make that "his job had less to do with his behavior, then his mental state"

Some of you know that I am a Law Enforcement Officer, some of you may not.    Being in the profession, I would like to comment.   

The job can change a person, especially the longer you are in it.    We literally see society at it's worst, on a daily basis.  I have almost eleven years under my belt and I am not the same person I was, when I started.  I am a bit more cynical and less trusting, as a rule.    Subtle changes in your personality are common, but not to the extent that  the officer in this case reached.    It sounds like he had serious issues, even before he became an Officer. 

I am not surprised by the dark side of humanity, either.  You might be surprised what some of the people you know and trust are capable of, under the right circumstances.

With that being said, if you have a large enough sample of people, you are bound to have a few "really bad apples", so to speak.  The percentages are consistent and Police Officers are no different......the Officer in this story is, thankfully, in the extreme minority.    Heck, he could have been a teacher, a truck driver or mail carrier............his job had less to do with his profession, then his mental state.

The Officer (an insult to even use that term with a subject like that) should have been investigated by his agency, long before the situation reached it's sad conclusion.    I know that safeguards exist, for that reason.

I can't speak for his department, but, I know that my agency is extremely aggressive when one of it's own, starts to display disturbing, or unusual behavior.  For example, if one of us has too many "uses of force", in a listed time period (justified, or not), we are flagged and monitored to make sure it is an abberration and not a trend.

Or, when an initial complaint, like the one listed in the story, is made.  Essentially, he was stalking the female (at the very least), even before the shooting, and that is a crime in any State.   

Had that been done in my area (stalking, battery), his gun (or guns) and badge would have been taken, and he would have been put on administrative leave, pending the disposition of the case.  He would have been scheduled for a fitness for duty evaluation, including a psychological profile, had he been found innocent (before he was allowed to return).

Would it have been enough to stop the shooting from taking place?  Hard to say, but it would have given the authorities a chance.

I hope the victim(s) are able to recover and I hope the former officer is prosecuted to the fullest extent.   

And, if any of you are in a similar situation, don't wait to report it.       

Mike

225597[/snapback]

Is this really a true story?

I have to say, I have written many affidavit's in my career, and that one seems a bit off. Too much information in some areas, and not enough in others.

There are bad people in every career though, even law enforcement. I like to think this guy was the exception.

I'd be surprised if a psychological profile turned up anything.  Restraining orders in cases like this are worthless.  She should have picked up and left when she had the chance.

225619[/snapback]

It's her fault? Are you kidding me? She went to the police and told them everything and they did nothing about it to help her.

Wait till the investigation turns up some stones within the police department itself.

Ryan Dorr is going to be a rich rich man.

This is an affidavit from a person who was shot by a Watertown City police officer. Thought some here would enjoy reading this.  The City cop is now locked up in jail waiting for his day in court. He has hired a big time NYC lawyer. His father was a police officer with the Watertown Police for many many years.

Affidavit from Ryan Dorr

225533[/snapback]

So, sorry cuz I don't know, if this is a big story, I obviously haven't heard about it down here in VA......What happened to the girl???

Is this really a true story?

I have to say, I have written many affidavit's in my career, and that one seems a bit off.  Too much information in some areas, and not enough in others.

There are bad people in every career though, even law enforcement.  I like to think this guy was the exception.

225626[/snapback]

It's true.

New Report

It's a true story. I live 10 miles from Watertown and it's a big big story here. I will see if I can provide some more links to this story.

The girl is just fine she was unharmed. The police officer led the upstate police force on a 24 hour manhunt in the woods before he finally gave himself up.

The worlds dumbest answer...................did you read the story?  :w00t:

Yes, she was unharmed. :doh:

225656[/snapback]

I read the whole report... did i miss a page??? WTF? I'm dead sober, and I was pretty interested in teh police report. Perhaps reading just wasnt my thing... and I got a 720 on my verbal SATs.. that was before college, though. i quit.

It's her fault? Are you kidding me? She went to the police and told them everything and they did nothing about it to help her.

Wait till the investigation turns up some stones within the police department itself.

Ryan Dorr is going to be a rich rich man.

225628[/snapback]

I never said it was her fault. However, I would not let my life rest in the hands of an Internal Affairs investigation. If the Los Angles police department kicked out an officer every time they got a complaint, the force would be empty.

It appears that Ryan and Jessica were "more than friends". I would expect him to plead not guilty by means of temporary insanity. It worked for Lorena Bobbitt.

I never said it was her fault.  However, I would not let my life rest in the hands of an Internal Affairs investigation.  If the Los Angles police department kicked out an officer every time they got a complaint, the force would be empty. 

It appears that Ryan and Jessica were "more than friends".  I would expect him to plead not guilty by means of temporary insanity.  It worked for Lorena Bobbitt.

225671[/snapback]

So what if they were "more than friends" ? The WPD knew the guy had problems and did not take the correct actions to help prevent this from taking place. To me it looks like a premeditated murder attempt.

Will see what happens when them rocks get turned over inside the department.

These are the questions someone is going to have to answer.

Among the questions: was the 26 year old year old suspect ever disciplined by the police department prior to his arrest on attempted murder and kidnapping charges? Was there ever a formal investigation into alleged prior incidents? Were criminal complaints ever filed against VanWaldick?

How can we swing this into being Drew Bledsoe's fault?  :w00t:

Seriously, that's fugged up. That's exactly why i'm not getting in the middle of anyone's personal problems, friend or not. I bet the guy didn't know exactly what he was getting into, now he'll probably have scars and injuries for life because of this.

225563[/snapback]

i hate cops

That is a lovely attitude................of course the actions of one person are a true representation of an entire profession :w00t:

Your attitude allows such lovely movements as racism and sexism to thrive.

Care to share exactly why you feel that way about all of us? (and I'll bet your attitude will change the next time you need some help)

i hate cops

225720[/snapback]

That is a lovely attitude................of course the actions of one person are a true representation of an entire profession  :w00t:

Your attitude allows such lovely movements as racism and sexism to thrive.

Care to share exactly why you feel that way about all of us? (and I'll bet your attitude will change the next time you need some help)

225750[/snapback]

Mike, you should no better than to entertain an idiot like the person you responded to (jt 34).

Also, I resent the tone of the original post. One jackass in Waterbury, NY and we should all question the character and stability of our local police? :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

As you say, there are bad apples all over, but I have found police officers to have extremely high character. Cops, instead of lashing out at others, usually act out against themselves. As a profession, cops tend to "lead the league" in suicide, divorce and alcoholism. Couple this with low pay and weird hours and it can be a rough ride. It can also be a good ride. The following is my advice to you....

1. Be nice to your wife. She can take your pension at her leisure, as well as your house. You will have a better life anyway by having a better marriage. It makes sense.

2. Plan now for your retirement and get out the day you can. Fatten your pension with overtime. You deserve it.

3. Maintain friendships with non-cops. A different perspective is mandatory.

4. Above all, be careful. Cops as an everyday thing race to jobs like "man with a gun" or "shots fired." This lends itself toward an officer being casual about it. Watch ther car stops, and just let vans go unless you absolutely have to stop them. There is NO safe way to stop one. Screw it.

Be well, succeed, and dont be offended by jackasses. It amazes me, but despite the drawbacks I listed above, you will find that many are jealous of cops, as silly as this may sound.

God Bless.

BfNYC

I HATE cops.

I was stopped for speeding on Christmas morning on my way to church (nobody else on the road). Dressed all nice w/ the family in the car. The cop tells me if I don't respond to the ticket by the date shown, I'll go to jail - in front of my kids. My kids (5 & 9), on Christmas AM, are all panicked that daddy's going to jail. Then for some reason he asks me "what I do for a living". On top of that, as I pull away my wife looks at the ticket and tells me the date he wrote on the ticket says January 25, 2004. (Obviously he meant 2005 but since he went out of his way to tell me I was going to jail if I fail to appear then writes a date I can't possibly meet, I think even more that he's an a$$wipe).

I start thinking about this and decide to pay a visit to his boss (small town police chief) a week or so later. The chief's secretary says he's in a meeting & can't see me. I say, well I need to speak to someone about a traffic so I'll wait. Then she goes in the back and the chief magically appears. I explain the situation & he says the cop was new & was wrong to talk about jail & also about asking what I do for a living - says that's only necessary if there was an accident involved. Looks at the ticket & says there's stuff missing on here (blocks not filled out) - if I were you I'd consider fighting this. Also says he'll talk to the cop & have him clean up his act.

So I go to Court, plead not guilty and have a "trial". I was the first idiot to have trial that night so I didn't know in advance what to expect. The prosecutor starts by asking the officer if he saw a Dodge pickup speeding, etc. & other questions.

When it's my turn I ask the officer if he testified he saw a Dodge pickup speeding. He says yes & I say that's funny cause I don't own a pickup, it's an SUV. I also ask him how long he's been on the force & he replies 2 months. The crowd is enjoying this (the little guy is winning at this point). I ask him about errors on the ticket including the wrong social security number & wrong number of passengers in the car. I also ask why many blanks on the ticket were empty. He says, they were all filled out sir - maybe they didn't go thru onto your copy. So I ask him to bring over his copy of the ticket and sure enough, all's filled out on his version. Funny though, on multi-part forms when a word doesn't go through all the way you usually see at least PARTS of words on your copy. Mine was clean as a whistle. Obviously the chief tipped off the cop to fill in the rest of the form before Court. When I ask about mentioning jail in front of my kids & what I do for a living, the cop contradicts his boss & says that's standard procedure. When I say I know it's not, the prosecutor says "hearsay" & I get cut off.

So the Judge says I made some good points but finds me guilty & hits me with a $50 fine. I think I'm doing OK until I get to the caashier and they add on an extra $85 fee because they held a "trial". That was never explained previously. I was pissed but at least I exposed the cop for the a$$ he is, in front of the prosecutor, judge and several of his peers. It was worth the cost of the ticket.

Did I mention I HATE cops?

I HATE cops.

I was stopped for speeding on Christmas morning on my way to church (nobody else on the road).  Dressed all nice w/ the family in the car.  The cop tells me if I don't respond to the ticket by the date shown, I'll go to jail - in front of my kids.  My kids (5 & 9), on Christmas AM, are all panicked that daddy's going to jail.  Then for some reason he asks me "what I do for a living".  On top of that, as I pull away my wife looks at the ticket and tells me the date he wrote on the ticket says January 25, 2004.  (Obviously he meant 2005 but since he went out of his way to tell me I was going to jail if I fail to appear then writes a date I can't possibly meet, I think even more that he's an a$$wipe).

I start thinking about this and decide to pay a visit to his boss (small town police chief) a week or so later.  The chief's secretary says he's in a meeting & can't see me.  I say, well I need to speak to someone about a traffic so I'll wait.  Then she goes in the back and the chief magically appears.  I explain the situation & he says the cop was new & was wrong to talk about jail & also about asking what I do for a living - says that's only necessary if there was an accident involved.  Looks at the ticket & says there's stuff missing on here (blocks not filled out) - if I were you I'd consider fighting this.  Also says he'll talk to the cop & have him clean up his act.

So I go to Court, plead not guilty and have a "trial".  I was the first idiot to have trial that night so I didn't know in advance what to expect.  The prosecutor starts by asking the officer if he saw a Dodge pickup speeding, etc. & other questions.

When it's my turn I ask the officer if he testified he saw a Dodge pickup speeding.  He says yes & I say that's funny cause I don't own a pickup, it's an SUV.  I also ask him how long he's been on the force & he replies 2 months.  The crowd is enjoying this (the little guy is winning at this point).  I ask him about errors on the ticket including the wrong social security number & wrong number of passengers in the car.  I also ask why many blanks on the ticket were empty.  He says, they were all filled out sir - maybe they didn't go thru onto your copy.  So I ask him to bring over his copy of the ticket and sure enough, all's filled out on his version.  Funny though, on multi-part forms when a word doesn't go through all the way you usually see at least PARTS of words on your copy.  Mine was clean as a whistle.  Obviously the chief tipped off the cop to fill in the rest of the form before Court.  When I ask about mentioning jail in front of my kids & what I do for a living, the cop contradicts his boss & says that's standard procedure.  When I say I know it's not, the prosecutor says "hearsay" & I get cut off.

So the Judge says I made some good points but finds me guilty & hits me with a $50 fine.  I think I'm doing OK until I get to the caashier and they add on an extra $85 fee because they held a "trial".  That was never explained previously.  I was pissed but at least I exposed the cop for the a$$ he is, in front of the prosecutor, judge and several of his peers.  It was worth the cost of the ticket.

Did I mention I HATE cops?

225879[/snapback]

If your story is true, then the officer was at best unprofessional. I could not imagine making such an empty verbal threat in front of children, even if the motorist was a total a-hole, which is certainly possible, if not very likely.

Tell me though, you did admit to speeding. How fast were you going? I see that you deemed it to be a safe speed because the road (on Christmas morning) was empty.

The thing is, if you were flying down the road at a dangerous speed with your children aboard, perhaps instead of hating all cops because of one jerk, you might want to consider hating yourself instead, for placing the lives of your family in peril.

The thing is, if you were flying down the road at a dangerous speed with your children aboard, perhaps instead of hating all cops because of one jerk, you might want to consider hating yourself instead, for placing the lives of your family in peril.

225909[/snapback]

Why - i think this might be a bit of an over-reaction.

First, i don't think he was flying down the road, as his fine was all of $50. Second, that was just uncalled for, man... "placing the lives of your family in peril."

jeez

I don't hate cops.....

Grandfather was a NYS Trooper for over 20 years, from the late 20's to the 40's

One uncle was a County prison guard

Another uncle is a County Sheriff deputy

One brother is on the Cleveland SWAT team

I spent 3 years doing computer support for Onondaga County which included both jails and the Sheriff's dept.

These men and women are putting their lives on the line for us every day and I respect that.

Why - i think this might be a bit of an over-reaction.

First, i don't think he was flying down the road, as his fine was all of $50. Second, that was just uncalled for, man... "placing the lives of your family in peril."

jeez

225916[/snapback]

Steve, if this tale really did take place (remember this IS the internet), dont you think that there is much more to the story?

C'mon dude.

I lived in Watertown for 18years. Why am I not surprised this happened there? LOL!

I recently told some colleagues that North Country rednecks may have more "redneck" in them than anywhere in the USA. As you travel north from Syracuse, on average, peoples' eyes are set further apart.

Mike, you should no better than to entertain an idiot like the person you responded to (jt 34).

Also, I resent the tone of the original post. One jackass in Waterbury, NY and we should all question the character and stability of our local police?  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

As you say, there are bad apples all over, but I have found police officers to have extremely high character. Cops, instead of lashing out at others, usually act out against themselves. As a profession, cops tend to "lead the league" in suicide, divorce and alcoholism. Couple this with low pay and weird hours and it can be a rough ride. It can also be a good ride. The following is my advice to you....

1. Be nice to your wife. She can take your pension at her leisure, as well as your house. You will have a better life anyway by having a better marriage. It makes sense.

2. Plan now for your retirement and get out the day you can. Fatten your pension with overtime. You deserve it.

3. Maintain friendships with non-cops. A different perspective is mandatory.

4. Above all, be careful. Cops as an everyday thing race to jobs like "man with a gun" or "shots fired." This lends itself toward an officer being casual about it. Watch ther car stops, and just let vans go unless you absolutely have to stop them. There is NO safe way to stop one. Screw it.

Be well, succeed, and dont be offended by jackasses. It amazes me, but despite the drawbacks I listed above, you will find that many are jealous of cops, as silly as this may sound.

God Bless.

BfNYC

225843[/snapback]

You know, I once saw a recruitment poster for the LAPD. I seriously considered it because at the time I was pretty much homeless and hungry.

I joined the Army instead.

You shouldn't hate.

Plus, absolutes suck.

226242[/snapback]

Fine, he dislikes most cops.

(I'm assuming from a run in with one bad one, or a run in with many good ones who wanted him to stop doing whatever it was he was doing that was illegal).

Fine, he dislikes most cops.

(I'm assuming from a run in with one bad one, or a run in with many good ones who wanted him to stop doing whatever it was he was doing that was illegal).

226245[/snapback]

Uh, do you have a power of attorney to post in his stead?

I hate terrorists. They pretty much deserve it.

Steve, if this tale really did take place (remember this IS the internet), dont you think that there is much more to the story?

C'mon dude.

225982[/snapback]

Yes, and all of the items you ever posted are subject to the same skepticism.

The story is true. My posts are usually 3-5 lines long at the most. I do not waste my time making stuff up and typing it here. I have better things to do.

Yes, I was speeding (60 in a 45) but the cop made so many mistakes and was such an incompetent a$$, I had to post the story to contribute to the thread. I'm glad I embarrassed the sh*t out of him in court, the same way he tried to humiliate me in front of my kids.

Yes, and all of the items you ever posted are subject to the same skepticism.

The story is true.  My posts are usually 3-5 lines long at the most.  I do not waste my time making stuff up and typing it here.  I have better things to do.

Yes, I was speeding (60 in a 45) but the cop made so many mistakes and was such an incompetent a$$, I had to post the story to contribute to the thread.  I'm glad I embarrassed the sh*t out of him in court, the same way he tried to humiliate me in front of my kids.

226727[/snapback]

But that doesn't mean you should hate all police officers. That guy was obviously a dick who needed a swift kick in the ass.