Orton Unforced Errors Week 10 - Film Breakdown

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did / How Kyle did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 47 snaps ( last game against Jets was 21.. Hackett reverted back to chucking it all over the field again.. )

LINE BREAKDOWNS - 4 snaps or 9% of pass plays ( defined as - O-Line clearly messed up and Kyle did not have a moment to throw after hitting the last step of his drop.. last week was 19% so pass protect was better than last week.. outstanding actually)

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 43 snaps or 91 % of pass plays ( defined as O-Line did sufficient job and Kyle hit the last step of his drop and had a moment to throw).

UNFORCED KYLE ERRORS: - 5 snaps or 11% of pass plays where he had time ( unforced error defined as Kyle having time and having unforced accuracy issues/ or taking bad sacks... last week it was 3 snaps or 14%. Percentage wise he was better this week.. unfortunately several of the unforced errors were in the Red Zone)

Bottom Line:

The O Line did an OUTSTANDING job for the most part against the Chiefs. To my eye they only had 4 obvious breakdowns out of 47 pass attempts.. which to my math is the best performance of the year. Aside from a small number of breakdowns.. Orton generally had a nice pocket to throw from. KC did an outstanding job of taking away the deep ball ( on both deep fly routes Orton made good throws but the CBs were in perfect position). In general the KC CBs/ Secondary players had an outstanding day and they are probably the biggest reason KC was able to keep it close for the whole game. Orton did have a few stinker throws that were unforced.. particularly the last one on 4th down to Sammy.

__________ __________

Next, here's my breakdown of the last controversial series where they went for it in the end zone 4 times... note that not all of the bad throws are on Orton in this series ( although 2 are indeed on him)

Q4 LAST SERIES IN REDZONE

1ST DOWN - Orton hit in the face as he delivers throw ( Urbik whiffs on NT) resulting in underthrown fade to Sammy

2ND DOWN - Outstanding coverage by KC .. Orton has time but no one open and he takes a shot in the dark to Hogan in corner of endzone and misses

3RD DOWN - Orton has clean pocket and straight up misses open Hogan on post pattern

4TH DOWN - This one hurts - wide open Sammy - Orton has time and throws a wounded duck that doesn't even make the goal line

OTHER PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 - Roll out throw to Lee Smith off target - unforced error

Q1 - Miss to Summers in flat due to Henderson getting beat and pressure from behind

Q1 - Robert Woods drop

Q1- Tamba Hali sniffs out screen - no one else open.. good throw away

Q2 - Orton panics.. thows away.. has room to scramble right .. bad choice

Q2 - Henderson misses blitz pickup - Orton forced to throw too quick

Q2 - Sack - Wood gets dominated by NT

Q2 - Wide open Chandler in end zone- Orton makes bad throw

Q2 - Deep ball to Brown incomplete… good throw by Orton.. great coverage by KC

Q3- Deep ball to Watkins incomplete.. good throw by Orton.. great coverage by KC

Q4 -Orton throws it away due to great coverage

Q4 - ( see Q4 LAST SERIES IN REDZONE BREAKDOWN above)

SUMMARY - Orton was pretty solid all day - unfortunately bulk of his unforced errors were made in the Red Zone. I had corner endzone seats, came in early to watch warmups and saw Orton and EJ doing red zone work.. he was practicing fade routes to the back corner to Sammy and Chandler. ( His line drive miss in RZ to Chandler in Q2 was a carbon copy of a bad throw he made in warmups ). Despite the bad calls ( both were horseshit upon further review) and despite the fumbles ...if Orton hits any of the three unforced bad throws in the red zone during the game ( Chandler, Hogan and Sammy) the Bills win and Orton would be a hero right now.

Edited by Bocephuz

Great post.

As an aside, I wish that the Bills/Orton would have focused more on getting the first down rather than the repeated shots to the end zone on the second to last drive.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

This is the 2nd game this season where QB play cost the team in a big way. EJ in Week 4 at Houston and Orton last week vs. KC.

One should be cautious in comparing Orton's Chiefs game to EJ's Houston game. Orton had zero turnovers and save for a few costly redzone mistakes played pretty well. EJ had 11 unforced errors in the Houston game ( http://forums.twobil...nforced-errors/) and Orton had 5 in this Chiefs game.

Edited by Bocephuz

I'd be careful to compare Orton's Chiefs game to EJ's Houston game. Orton had zero turnovers and save for a few costly redzone mistakes played pretty well. EJ had 11 unforced errors in the Houston game ( http://forums.twobil...nforced-errors/) and Orton had 5 in this Chiefs game.

Orton missed throws for TDs on at least three occasions with clean pockets. That's enough for me to say he cost the team. Not single-handedly of course given the Brown and McKelvin fumbles.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Orton missed throws for TDs on at least three occasions with clean pockets. That's enough for me to say he cost the team.

Agreed .. he definitely cost the team with those bad missed TD throws... however.. to place most of the blame on Orton for this game is somewhat unfair. I think you could make a case that EJ deserves the lion's share of the blame for losing the Houston game.

Agreed .. he definitely cost the team with those bad missed TD throws... however.. to place most of the blame on Orton for this game is somewhat unfair. I think you could make a case that EJ deserves the lion's share of the blame for losing the Houston game.

See the edited post. Should we not expect more from Orton given the storyline of his veteran experience?

There is no question that the team needs to score more then 13 points, and would have if Brown isn't stripped right before his run into the end zone. That was against the team that hadn't allowed a rushing TD all year.

The Bills floundered on offense against the Jets, but it was covered up by the 6 turnovers. One of my beefs is that a top red zone threat was inactive to give ST's more help with returns...yet they mostly kicked it out the back of the endzone.

Lots of ways to point fingers at this loss, and Orton isn't getting it from me even if he wasn't perfect. Not when they could have kicked a FG to make it a one point game with 2:33 left and let it rest on the defense, kicker to win it.

Great post Bocephuz. I really look forward to these. Orton was not inaccurate the entire game. He just missed a couple that he needs to make. If you have three throws that are pretty sure TDs if guys don't drop them, you MUST hit one or two of them. He didn't.

Coaching errors. Terrible untimely fumbles and fumbling recoveries. And missed throws all contributed equally IMO to the loss.