How to spend on a team

Big Blitz

Been doing a lot of thinking about the situation in Seattle. I can't help but think that a lot of the stuff regarding Lynch stems from his mini hold out. The Harvin situation was just a breaking point.

If you're Lynch and you just saw Sherman, Chancellor, and Thomas get big money....do you think that knowing who he is it probably never sat well that he did not get a big extention?

Regardless of that it also got me thinking about our upcoming FA's. It's being discussed. Keep Dareus...gotta resign Hughes...etc.

See I think Seattle is doing it wrong. I'm not sure how much of a choice they had in paying those guys. But IMO I'd much rather invest the big money on D to your front 7. Pay 1 CB good money. And never over pay for a FS. The back end should constantly be developed through the draft. It's easier to find good stop gap corners than franchise defensive tackles or ends. Also would not over pay for a middle linebacker in a pass happy league.

On offense it's obvious. The QB gets paid. A franchise WR should be kept unless you have a hall of fame QB like Manning or Rodgers that make everyone better. It's why the Saints never overpay for WRs.

I think you also pay for a TE.

On the oline....center and left tackle. Pay them develop everywhere else. Find stop gaps. Which we haven't done well these last 2 years.

Never ever ever over pay an RB. Ever.

So lookin at our team I think Whaley and Co have the right idea. Didn't overpay for Byrd and Levitre. Locked up Aaron Williams at the right time. I really hope they keep Hughes. At least franchise him. Then go into next year work out a long term deal with Dareus. I'd also try and lock up Glenn quick too. Might get him a little cheaper right now. Same Gilmore.

As I say all this I really have no idea what the cap situation is. I've never understood it. Head hurts trying to. But as far as the crucial investments and who we should be paying I think this is the blueprint.

Thoughts?

Edited by Big Blitz

Really nice post. I agree generally, but would add these thoughts:

1) corners are critical, but I don't think you need to overpay. Because rookie CBs typically can play right away and elite FA CBs are so expensive, I would build that position like we have done-- ie, a high draft pick, and a few mid-major FA signings. absolutely need to hit the mid-major market on corners, like we did. Your top rookie corner does well, you let him go in FA and draft a replacement. There is no way I would re-sign Gilmore. Mckelvin was the exception, because he stunk when his contract was up.

2) re RB, couldn't agree more. I would add that I would never use a 1st rd pick on a RB either.

3) unsure re paying a TE, though that seems to be the way the league is going.

Nice post, well thought out. I'm getting kind of tired of the train of thought "get a franchise qb and nothing else matters." Obviously qb is the most important position in all of sports, and its not really even close, but you cant just neglect the team around him. I would LOVE to have a guy like Luck, Rodgers or Wilson, but you can also win with the Kyle Orton's of the world if he is surrounded by a great roster. I'm really impressed with our roster from top to bottom, and it is the most talented and deepest it has been in a long time. I really hope we keep this group together for as long as possible and see if we can make a run at this thing.

Nice post, well thought out. I'm getting kind of tired of the train of thought "get a franchise qb and nothing else matters." Obviously qb is the most important position in all of sports, and its not really even close, but you cant just neglect the team around him. I would LOVE to have a guy like Luck, Rodgers or Wilson, but you can also win with the Kyle Orton's of the world if he is surrounded by a great roster. I'm really impressed with our roster from top to bottom, and it is the most talented and deepest it has been in a long time. I really hope we keep this group together for as long as possible and see if we can make a run at this thing.

Gotta agree, just think when Kilo comes back next year.

Resign Hughes and get a deal done with Dareus.

Address guard early in the draft and pick up a TE. Then go for depth.

Gilmore is more interesting . he should get a deal like McKelvin based on performance. For some reason Gilmore gets a decent amount of pub which worries me for his value.

Yea that was off the top of my head. I thought Lynch got a 20 million dollar deal in 2011 for 5 years. I looked it up and they did give him a nice deal. It was 4 years 30 million not 20. So my bad on that......which just makes his hissy fit this summer even more bizarre.

As to Gilmore. I really think he's under valued around here....I think he's just starting to put it all together. We'll see but I'm hopeful.

Edited by Big Blitz

I think you have the right idea. My only addition would be I'd like one of my guards to be a high round pick along with the center and as good of an athlete as I can find. There are so many 1st round Dt's w/ off the chart size and speed ratios that you need somebody to combat that or your QB gets killed up the middle and your running game goes nowhere. It would help if they had the athleticism to pull and move as well as hold their ground. I don't think the later round guards seem capable of it. To me I think we have too many stop gap guards and it borders on making the offense a disaster.

Edited by norton20