Stripping the ball....is it taught or just a gift??

Definitely taught, but then those with a natural feel incorporate it more often, a little like linemen putting their hand up rushing the passer, not everyone does it and some do it more successfully. I guess they're the 1% that make up a play.

Edited by Shamrock

Not a great example. Fred properly held the ball on the outside arm. I'm referring more to those cases where the runner is coming through the middle or tackling from the side with another teammate. That run by Fred was the wrong "strip" opportunity.

Exactly. Conte was just making sh*t up because he was under the gun for getting steamrolled. I can't believe they accepted that loser mentality. Anything can happen on the following plays, you bring your man down from the farthest point you can from the goal line. A guy like Conte is not out there making executive decisions like that. He got steamrolled plain and simple. Just because the Bills were in FG range, Conte is going to take the chance of the game ending right there on a TD. I am not buying it.

The second man on a gang tackle is coached to go after the Ball and let the initial tackler finish the tackle.

Tackling and punching or stripping the ball is taught at all levels of football.

Properly protecting the football and preventing strips is also taught and all levels of football.