Thoughts on used mattresses?

boyst

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do all of you who are opposed to buying a used mattress, that has been cleaned and will be a guest room item, do when you go to a hotel?

You got a point, but it isn't the "grossness" factor that gets me. I can sleep in a mud hole in the middle of malaria riddled jungle (well hope I don't get malaria ;-) ). For me, its all about taking ownership of the mattress. A hotel you sleep on it and leave.

How much more are we really talking. Just cut somewhere else.

You got a point, but it isn't the "grossness" factor that gets me. I can sleep in a mud hole in the middle of malaria riddled jungle (well hope I don't get malaria ;-) ). For me, its all about taking ownership of the mattress. A hotel you sleep on it and leave.

How much more are we really talking. Just cut somewhere else.

I understand. I just found it funny the way people reacted, like a mattress slept in by someone else was their Kryptonite. :D

What do all of you who are opposed to buying a used mattress, that has been cleaned and will be a guest room item, do when you go to a hotel?

Hotel beds are DISGUSTING. That's why I always sleep on the floor whilst traveling.

Haha and the floor is any better?

Haha and the floor is any better?

You laugh, but the percentage of pubes and bodily fluids on the floor is half of the percentage in the beds. And bed bugs ALSO do not like floors.

You laugh, but the percentage of pubes and bodily fluids on the floor is half of the percentage in the beds. And bed bugs ALSO do not like floors.

Next time I'm at a hotel I'll be sure to do it on the floor. But the bathroom counter is usually much easier.

Where do you put your tooth brush?

Next time I'm at a hotel I'll be sure to do it on the floor. But the bathroom counter is usually much easier.

Where do you put your tooth brush?

Weird. I'd think that would hurt your elbows more, but you seem like a tough dude.

I am trying to get my parents attic fixed up for nieces and nephews visiting. I found a good bunk bed - full over full for $200 on Craigslist.

Now I need mattresses. I found a company that sells a lot of used mattresses for $60/per @ full size. They sanitized, deodorize, and clean the mattresses to look like new. These mattresses would be used maybe a total of 3 weeks a year max for the next 10 years and would be upstairs in a place my parents built for them to play.

Mattresses are marked up like crazy and I don't want to spend a ton on two of them when they'll be used to little.

Anyone have experience here? I looked at a few stores where some are as low as $100-120 per but not sure if those would be any better or worse then a used one.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet but you would be fine getting used mattresses as long as you invest in mattress encasements. You can find them anywhere online for any size mattress.

The reason I say this is because of the Bed Bug issue brought up. First, Bed Bugs DO NOT live inside mattress, then come out to feed. It's a common myth. They live in the folds of mattresses, box springs, night stands, head boards, bed frames.and just about any crack and crevice close enough to a food source. The adults and nymphs are large enough to see with the naked eye but the eggs are a bit more difficult to see, which is why I suggest the encasements.

The encasements will cover the entire mattress and if you are unlucky enough to get a mattress with unhatched eggs(extremely unlikely), you will basically kill them by encasing them and not allowing them their food source (blood).

I am pretty close to an expert on those creatures and have killed more than my fair share. You will know if you get a mattress with Bed Bugs as long as you inspect it closely.

You can PM me if you are really worried about Bed Bugs. I can tell you what to look for.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet but you would be fine getting used mattresses as long as you invest in mattress encasements. You can find them anywhere online for any size mattress.

The reason I say this is because of the Bed Bug issue brought up. First, Bed Bugs DO NOT live inside mattress, then come out to feed. It's a common myth. They live in the folds of mattresses, box springs, night stands, head boards, bed frames.and just about any crack and crevice close enough to a food source. The adults and nymphs are large enough to see with the naked eye but the eggs are a bit more difficult to see, which is why I suggest the encasements.

The encasements will cover the entire mattress and if you are unlucky enough to get a mattress with unhatched eggs(extremely unlikely), you will basically kill them by encasing them and not allowing them their food source (blood).

I am pretty close to an expert on those creatures and have killed more than my fair share. You will know if you get a mattress with Bed Bugs as long as you inspect it closely.

You can PM me if you are really worried about Bed Bugs. I can tell you what to look for.

Can you tell us all what to look for, please?

Can you tell us all what to look for, please?

First, the basic thing to know about Bed Bugs is that they are hitchhikers. They will crawl from an infested item such as a box spring and get into almost anything, such as luggage, clothing and furniture.

An adult Bed Bug is roughly about 3/16ths of an inch long and about 1/8th wide. They are oval or egg shaped, reddish brown in color and very thin if looking at them from the side. They can be easily seen on mattress, box springs and the back of headboards. They become more difficult to spot in other furniture such as nightstands, chairs, sofas or sleepersofas.

The main thing to look for is their fecal deposits. They generally crap where they live or pretty close to it. The deposits look like someone took a black pen and put a bunch of dots in a small area. That's usually the first thing I look for when I am trying to find them. Next, they usually will live close to their food source, (humans). They are called Bed Bugs for a reason. They will live around the mattress cord (the rope like material around the mattress), they will also live around the box spring, usually under the folds of the material stapled to the wood of the "box".

If anyone frequents hotels, I highly recommend pulling back a couple corners of the sheets and inspect the mattress and then, slide the mattress slightly off the box spring and pull back the bed skirt and inspect the elastic of the skirt then inspect the underside corners of the boxspring. Take a flashlight every time you travel and use it to help with the inspection. It is the safest way to go. I live in a heavy tourist area and would say that 90+ percent of hotels that I have been in doing inspections have had at least one room with Bed Bug activity.

Be very careful if you are garage sale shopping and buying any of the above items. Always inspect any of them before you purchase.

First, the basic thing to know about Bed Bugs is that they are hitchhikers. They will crawl from an infested item such as a box spring and get into almost anything, such as luggage, clothing and furniture.

An adult Bed Bug is roughly about 3/16ths of an inch long and about 1/8th wide. They are oval or egg shaped, reddish brown in color and very thin if looking at them from the side. They can be easily seen on mattress, box springs and the back of headboards. They become more difficult to spot in other furniture such as nightstands, chairs, sofas or sleepersofas.

The main thing to look for is their fecal deposits. They generally crap where they live or pretty close to it. The deposits look like someone took a black pen and put a bunch of dots in a small area. That's usually the first thing I look for when I am trying to find them. Next, they usually will live close to their food source, (humans). They are called Bed Bugs for a reason. They will live around the mattress cord (the rope like material around the mattress), they will also live around the box spring, usually under the folds of the material stapled to the wood of the "box".

If anyone frequents hotels, I highly recommend pulling back a couple corners of the sheets and inspect the mattress and then, slide the mattress slightly off the box spring and pull back the bed skirt and inspect the elastic of the skirt then inspect the underside corners of the boxspring. Take a flashlight every time you travel and use it to help with the inspection. It is the safest way to go. I live in a heavy tourist area and would say that 90+ percent of hotels that I have been in doing inspections have had at least one room with Bed Bug activity.

Be very careful if you are garage sale shopping and buying any of the above items. Always inspect any of them before you purchase.

Thanks!

I had no idea Howard Hughes posted here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2J5RWf_LJk

working in a prison where over 70% of inmates have some sort of disease, I feel Hughes' pain. You spend a few minutes washing your hands in order to eat your lunch or dinner and as soon as you get ready to eat, something comes up where you have to grab a key, or lever, or cell gate. Edited by mrags

I vote against it. I'm with 4merper4mer in this one. I don't enjoy sleeping in someone else's urine or fecal matter that has been dried up and crusty on the bed.

Keep a look out for mattress stores and sales. Usually happens all the time.

You'd be better off going to a mattress store and asking to buy the floor models if yiur looking for a cheap fix. Much better than piss, s%#t, puke, bed bugs, dust mites and who knows what else is out there.

Or you can buy the ised ones. Chances are, they are cleaned an alright. But that's just me. I wouldn't.

Are you always wrong?

I'll ask my buddies in hospitality what the procedure is for disinfecting bedding.