Old Friend Carl Mauck at it again....

webtoe

Coach is a true charger

If Carl Mauck ever wants to give up coaching in the NFL, he can always try the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Mauck was hired by San Diego to replace Hudson Houck, one of the best line coaches in football, a hiring that came only days after Mauck charged across the field at the Las Vegas All-American Classic, a college all-star game, and threw a punch at an opposing coach for calling a blitz in a game in which blitzing was banned. Mauck was coaching the East team's offensive line, and when he realized the blitz had been run and his unsuspecting quarterback was put at risk, he flew into a rage and then flew across the field. Although a little more restraint might have been called for, Mauck was trying to defend his players against a breach of coaching ethics that, in a sport as violent as football, could have jeopardized a quarterback's future. Bet there was no blitzing after that.

I read somewhere that Mauck was the O-line coach for two or three seasons

where his team led the in sacks. One of the years was with the Bills, but

that was not the last team leading league in sacks.

:w00t:

What happened to Houck?  San Diego's line has nowhere to go but down with Mauck at the helm.

223245[/snapback]

Agreed. Mauck's tenure in Buffalo was a sad scene. He, when the Bills DEFENSE was on the field, could be seen screaming at refs, fomaing at the mouth. He, imo, was a literal jackass who set back the Bills franchise.

If Wade would have been a strong headcoach, he would have forced this boob to sit down and shut up.

I read somewhere that Mauck was the O-line coach for two or three seasons

where his  team led the in sacks.  One of the years was with the Bills, but

that was not the last team leading league in sacks.

:w00t:

223161[/snapback]

mauck's tenure with the bills coincided with the rob johnson era, that prolly drove up his sack totals

mauck's tenure with the bills coincided with the rob johnson era, that prolly drove up his sack totals

223329[/snapback]

Except for the fact that coaching severely limited the number of sacks DB took in the 2nd half of this season... Meaning coaching does have a lot to do with sacks I think.

(I'm one who didn't really think the OL coach was that important a peice; I stand corrected after watching last season).

CW

Coach is a true charger

If Carl Mauck ever wants to give up coaching in the NFL, he can always try the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Mauck was hired by San Diego to replace Hudson Houck, one of the best line coaches in football, a hiring that came only days after Mauck charged across the field at the Las Vegas All-American Classic, a college all-star game, and threw a punch at an opposing coach for calling a blitz in a game in which blitzing was banned. Mauck was coaching the East team's offensive line, and when he realized the blitz had been run and his unsuspecting quarterback was put at risk, he flew into a rage and then flew across the field. Although a little more restraint might have been called for, Mauck was trying to defend his players against a breach of coaching ethics that, in a sport as violent as football, could have jeopardized a quarterback's future. Bet there was no blitzing after that.

223156[/snapback]

Hudson Houck? I love that movie...

223329[/snapback]

Certainly RJ didn't help matters, but the truth is that prior to coming to the Bills, Mauch coached the O-line with the AZ Cardinals, and during his tenure there, they were the worst in the league as well (IIRC). That anyone would hire him is amazing in and of itself.