A Football Life-Doug Flutie

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and i never disputed that!

but no way in hell was he better than either one of those guys! Sorry!

You can disagree. I already said the "no question" part was an overstatement. You can make a reasonable argument for Bledsoe too, especially if you factor in his NE days.

The Bills won the games as a team with the biggest factor being a great defense. The league realized Flutie was a very limited QB once was there was enough film on him. Next!

Generally you provide some evidence before dismissing an issue.

You can disagree. I already said the "no question" part was an overstatement. You can make a reasonable argument for Bledsoe too, especially if you factor in his NE days.

Generally you provide some evidence before dismissing an issue.

Do we really need to revisit ancient history from 15 years ago to determine that Flutie was limited? Maybe you do, but the book has been read and long ago closed for me. Fight on! Next!

Do we really need to revisit ancient history from 15 years ago to determine that Flutie was limited? Maybe you do, but the book has been read and long ago closed for me. Fight on! Next!

I know he was limited. I'm not suggesting he was elite or even great. But he was good at playing NFL QB. That is if we're judging good by how much the QB improves his team's chance at winning, and he was great for that team at that time.

A lot of QBs that I'm sure most of you would hold in much higher esteem would probably not have been as effective on that team. I think his running/escapability and the value it added to that team, a defensive team with one of the worst O-lines I've ever seen, is greatly underappreciated.

And it is ancient history, but to see this coming from Bills fans grates on me no end. I'd bet if we had 1998 Doug Flutie on this team we'd be 5-1 right now.

I know he was limited. I'm not suggesting he was elite or even great. But he was good at playing NFL QB. That is if we're judging good by how much the QB improves his team's chance at winning, and he was great for that team at that time.

A lot of QBs that I'm sure most of you would hold in much higher esteem would probably not have been as effective on that team. I think his running/escapability and the value it added to that team, a defensive team with one of the worst O-lines I've ever seen, is greatly underappreciated.

And it is ancient history, but to see this coming from Bills fans grates on me no end. I'd bet if we had 1998 Doug Flutie on this team we'd be 5-1 right now.

Good at playing QB? Not really, but if you believe that...okay. 5-1 right now with him at the helm....Doubt it, but who knows?

Jets 34 Bills 12 Flutie was neutralized and figured out. Nice run while it lasted.

This.

Belichek came up with the blueprint and it was essentially over for Flutiemania. Although it would die a slow death.

The following year the Bills did have the best defense I've ever seen them have(sorry too young for 65 but I don't see how that era is relevant in discussing games from the late 90s). People had the Bills as dark horse Super Bowl contenders.

Like it or not, Johnson made plays at the end of that game to give us the win and they just Buffaloed it. Look up the the second half of the season. They were winning in spite of Flutie, then the offense looks the best it has all year against Indy(who were 13-2), and Ralph makes the call to go to Johnson(or so it is said).

14 years ago and it's still more interesting to talk about Flutie-Johnson than anything that has happened since.

If the anti-Flutie crowd had anything other than unsubstantiated talking points they wouldn't keep making reference to individual games.

Good at playing QB? Not really, but if you believe that...okay. 5-1 right now with him at the helm....Doubt it, but who knows?

Well he was no EJ Manuel, I give you that, but he somehow managed to get wins where others couldn't.

If the anti-Flutie crowd had anything other than unsubstantiated talking points they wouldn't keep making reference to individual games.

Well he was no EJ Manuel, I give you that, but he somehow managed to get wins where others couldn't.

:wub: :wub: :wub: It's so cute.

That's 1 game against a horrid D that was playing its back ups.

The myth of the backups rears its ugly head again. The backups didn't enter the game until there was a little more than 8 minutes left in the game and the Colts were trailing 28 to 6. Unless of course you consider Edgerrin James, Peyton Manning, and Marvin Harrison backups.

Look at RJ'S W/L record while he was here and get back to me.

No, what I am looking at is someone who has now made 2 factually incorrect statements to support their mythological perception of a poor quarterback and is attempting to move the goal posts to divert attention away from those factually incorrect statements. Get back to me when you can show some intellectual honesty.

[/size]

The myth of the backups rears its ugly head again. The backups didn't enter the game until there was a little more than 8 minutes left in the game and the Colts were trailing 28 to 6. Unless of course you consider Edgerrin James, Peyton Manning, and Marvin Harrison backups.

No, what I am looking at is someone who has now made 2 factually incorrect statements to support their mythological perception of a poor quarterback and is attempting to move the goal posts to divert attention away from those factually incorrect statements. Get back to me when you can show some intellectual honesty.

I didn't realize Manning, James, and Harrison played defense. Not that this was a cornerstone of any point I was making, but thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by Rob's House

I didn't realize Manning, James, and Harrison played defense. Not that this was a cornerstone of any point I was making, but thanks for clearing that up.

You just cannot admit you are wrong. The "cornerstone" of your points were based on myths. The Colts played their starters. Too bad it doesn't fit the fantasy you want to believe.

You just cannot admit you are wrong. The "cornerstone" of your points were based on myths. The Colts played their starters. Too bad it doesn't fit the fantasy you want to believe.

My point was that Flutie was a good QB for the Bills. I wasn't even talking about RJ. That Colts game was mentioned as an aside. I don't need to argue that RJ sucked. History already proved me right on that one. Sorry you're still butt hurt over it.

Say what you want about Flutie, the little bastid was a winner. He was the best we've had after Kelly, so I don't get the hate at all. A lot of people here always talk about how they want Incognito, or they don't care about character, they just want to win. Flutie gave you that, yet you still hate him. I don't get it.

The only point you have made is your not interested in the facts. You have demonstrated that with your blatant intellectual dishonesty. To put it simply, you are blinded by hero worship.

If you've got any other myths or inaccuracies I've cited other than back ups in the Colts game let me know. Otherwise all you're really doing is talking **** and it's growing tiresome.