I hate to be a downer but ... Robert Woods ....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Year the player had his breakout: Last year's Pro Bowlers (ignoring the freaks)

Antonio Brown 2nd year

Dez Bryant 3rd year

Brandon Marshall 2nd year

Alshon Jeffery 2nd year

The point is that there has to be patience amongst young players. As also mentioned, one has to take into account that 19 games into Woods career, he has caught the ball from 4 different QB's and is clearly a #2 or #3 option. As a second rounder, the expectations should not be at the same level as Sammy Watkins.

did i NOT SAY we'll see this year? Eric Moulds' stellar 1998 season notwithstanding, I don't think you need to wait 3 years!

2nd rounders have high expectations ... especially @41st overall. The consensus around here is that he's great, never hear the slightest utterance of criticism ... and Im just not seeing it. Consider this: if Woods were all he's cracked up to be, would Bills trade away a 1st for another WR? No.... they wait and take a Beckham or Benjamin. IMO coaches knew something about Woods most fans don't ... he's pretty average

Dude....pass some of what you're on. This is such a troll thread I'm wondering if this is jerry Sullivan behind the screen.

I was surprised he wasn't targeted more this week-- same with Mike Williams.

But I am fine if Watkins gets 7 catches every week, and everyone else gets 2-3.

same here. My guess is that Woods and Williams were covered, and Watkins wasn't. The one time Orton went to Williams the Detroit defender was basically hugging him, but no PI call. Woods had a few nice catches though, and the guy is tough and battles for yards. I think he's above average for sure. And Williams will have big games. If teams start doubling Watkins, Williams will be open all day.

As usual, the pollyannas are jumping all over anyone who says anything critical, but your assessment is mostly fair. While I do think he deserves credit for his blocking, I'd like to see his production go up now that he has a better qb throwing to him. At least we can be reasonably sure that iif he's open the QB will notice. So we'll know soon enough what kind of weapon he is.

Well the pollyannas are right once in a while.

In addition to what everyone else has said, did anyone ever say he was "great"? Are 2nd yr 2nd rounders supposed to be?

then what's wrong with calling him "average?"

Name an average receiver you'd compare him to.

I'll admit I overstate Woods, but it's the Freddy effect. His numbers may not be great, but he's a leader by example in heart and toughness. Can't ask for much more in a #2.

Name an average receiver you'd compare him to.

I'll admit I overstate Woods, but it's the Freddy effect. His numbers may not be great, but he's a leader by example in heart and toughness. Can't ask for much more in a #2.

i'm all about heart and toughness, but until he produces more than 39 yards a game, calling him average is more than fair. it might even be charitable. hopefully he improves soon with better QB play. Edited by jester43

i'm all about heart and toughness, but until he produces more than 39 yards a game, calling him average is more than fair. it might even be charitable. hopefully he improves soon with better QB play.

I'd like to hear who else is "average" too.

Woods acrobatic catch on 3rd down in chicago won the game for us. That ball was up and behind him and had a lot of zip on it and he snagged it in traffic.

Strange you would think he isn't a solid NFL receiver. The dude is tough, competitive, works hard in blocking, YAC, great hands, goes over the middle, etc.

I'd like to hear who else is "average" too.

I don't really know what you're getting at, and I wish you'd just spare us the suspense and provide your own definition of " average." or better yet, go to some stats website and make a list of guys with 39/ypg over their first 20-or-so games games. then post it here and say "these guys are above average." and everyone is going to reply: no, those guys aren't above average, they suck!

39 yards a game. But because he plays for the Bills, woods must be great, even if he hasn't really done much yet. i agree he is a good blocker and that is admirable.

you are what your numbers say you are. if you want to give him a free pass because EJ sucks, that's fine with me. But why is it we all have to say all the Bills are awesome,or "above average" before they actually prove it with their play?

actually, considering some of the garbage this franchise has fielded over the past 15 years, calling Woods average is a complement.

Edited by jester43

I don't really know what you're getting at, and I wish you'd just spare us the suspense and provide your own definition of " average." or better yet, go to some stats website and make a list of guys with 39/ypg over their first 20-or-so games games. then post it here and say "these guys are above average." and everyone is going to reply: no, those guys aren't above average, they suck!

39 yards a game. But because he plays for the Bills, woods must be great, even if he hasn't really done much yet. i agree he is a good blocker and that is admirable.

you are what your numbers say you are. if you want to give him a free pass because EJ sucks, that's fine with me. But why is it we all have to say all the Bills are awesome,or "above average" before they actually prove it with their play?

actually, considering some of the garbage this franchise has fielded over the past 15 years, calling Woods average is a complement.

That's not how this works. YOU called him average. So provide a baseline of "average."

Woods has solid hands, runs good routes, and makes big plays. Saying his lack of numbers is an indictment on his talent completely disregards the context. It disregards the dog **** carousel of QB's the Bills have trotted out.

Demariyus had average numbers with Tebow. So did Decker. Welker had way below average numbers for YEARS. Are all of those guys average? Reggie Wayne had garbage numbers with Kerry Collins. It goes on and on and on. How good were Brandon Marshall's numbers in Miami?

Trust me when I say this, you're wrong.

Edited by FireChan