Week 5: Lions' Game Preparation

26CornerBlitz

You're tellin' me 26.

I get nearly giddy thinking about a LB trio of Bradham-Spikes-Kiko. Of course, even if he doesn't return until next year, AND Spikes moves on, we're still looking at Bradham-Brown-Kiko with Rivers as depth, which I like because Brown can manage as a 2-down LB; he cannot be on the field on 3rd downs. Kiko and Bradham are just fine playing on 3rd downs.

Now, what we do about adding another pass rushing DE is a whole different question.

You're tellin' me 26.

I get nearly giddy thinking about a LB trio of Bradham-Spikes-Kiko. Of course, even if he doesn't return until next year, AND Spikes moves on, we're still looking at Bradham-Brown-Kiko with Rivers as depth, which I like because Brown can manage as a 2-down LB; he cannot be on the field on 3rd downs. Kiko and Bradham are just fine playing on 3rd downs.

Now, what we do about adding another pass rushing DE is a whole different question.

EL PEGUAL

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@jkatzenstein

Caldwell said he anticipates Golden Tate (hamstring) playing Sunday vs. the Bills.

Caldwell said "there's always a possibility" of shutting down Calvin Johnson for a week to help his long-term health.

Caldwell: "A good idea has no rank." Lions players have talked about having more input in scheme this year.

Lions captains this week: P Sam Martin, LG Rob Sims and DE Jason Jones.

Ryan Broyles, by the way, should be active again this week with Fauria out and injuries to WR corps.

Buffalo Wild Things: Why the Bills Can Win the AFC East

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Preview: Buffalo Bills vs. Detroit Lions (2:19)

NFL Films previews the Week 5 matchup between the Buffalo Bills and the Detroit Lions.

Scouting Report: Bills at Lions

A preview of the Bills-Lions game, as Buffalo travels to Detroit for a Week 5 matchup.

Lions Weekly Matchup: Defense (4:00)

Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin breaks down film of the Buffalo Bills offense with Herman Moore.

Lions Weekly Matchup: Offense (3:43)

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi breaks down film of the Buffalo Bills offense with Herman Moore.

@JoeBuscaglia

Nigel Bradham and Kyle Williams are each doubtful. Chris Williams and Marcus Easley are OUT. #Bills

@Lions

Watch head coach Jim Caldwell's final press conference before #BUFvsDET: http://bit.ly/1pwX3kD

Under Review: Leodis McKelvin (3:00)

Alexandra Vitale talks with Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin about his interception against the Texans and more.

@ESPN_NFLNation

Jim Schwartz on Detroit fans' reception: 'It doesn't matter' http://es.pn/1r9D4bh

Doubtful on Friday doesn't look very good for either of them come Sunday. Big losses, but rather have them miss this one than next week's game.

This game is in the "nice to have" category for me, The HUGE game is next week at home vs. the dreaded Cheatriots as you are intimating.

Kyle, Bradham doubtful

OUT

Marcus Easley – knee

Chris Williams – back

DOUBTFUL

Kyle Williams – knee

Nigel Bradham – knee

PROBABLE

Ron Brooks – shoulder

Randell Johnson – knee

Marquise Goodwin – concussion

Sammy Watkins – ribs

@ESPN_NFLNation

Jim Schwartz on Detroit fans' reception: 'It doesn't matter' http://es.pn/1r9D4bh

This game is in the "nice to have" category for me, The HUGE game is next week at home vs. the dreaded Cheatriots as you are intimating.

Kyle, Bradham doubtful

OUT

Marcus Easley – knee

Chris Williams – back

DOUBTFUL

Kyle Williams – knee

Nigel Bradham – knee

PROBABLE

Ron Brooks – shoulder

Randell Johnson – knee

Marquise Goodwin – concussion

Sammy Watkins – ribs

True.

Getting Goodwin back will help.

#1- OL work on picking up stunts.

#2- passes thrown in 3 seconds or less.

#1 Definitely!!! Here is my problem - I learned about stunts (on both sides of the ball) in Pop Warner. Please tell me how a former offensive lineman, a former offensive line coach, now head coach does not have his offensive line ready to handle stunts???

#1 Definitely!!! Here is my problem - I learned about stunts (on both sides of the ball) in Pop Warner. Please tell me how a former offensive lineman, a former offensive line coach, now head coach does not have his offensive line ready to handle stunts???

It's not that they aren't ready IMO. As I've said before, this is a pretty common issue when you have former OTs playing OG. Fundamental techniques of interior pass protection include the G's and C squeezing together to limit space, and the passing off of rushers across the face of their exchange.

Natural interior OLmen get a lot of practice at this, while OTs do not. They aren't used to playing in space, and while a relatively green OT (say, a rookie) can be taught rather quickly, a guy like Pears or Williams will struggle to have years upon years of OT instincts derived from playing in space rooted out in mere weeks. At OT, once you've engaged a defender, the tendency is to stick with him and ride him to the edge and out of the play (or at least far enough away where he cannot move the QB off of his spot). As last week's All-22 showed, trying this same thing on a stunt usually takes yourself and another blocker out of the play.

I don't think it's as much a coaching problem as it is an instinctual problem. You'll probably see Richardson get better at it, as this is his 3rd season as a guard. Pears? I doubt it.