Good overall (balanced) Grantland.com article on Bills

YoloinOhio

there have been very few surprises this season, in my book.

I expected a .500ish season, with a team that sometimes looked great, and sometimes disappointed. a defense that would be workman-like, and not wow you with flashy plays but stay effective if healthy on the d line. a qb that would at times struggle, but playmakers that would at times shine. a special teams with tons of talent. a coaching staff that isnt awful, but hasnt gotten talent to overachieve for the most part. grahams playing better than expected, but the other FAs are filling roles like you would reasonably have guessed in march without bills glasses on. spikes balances leader with role player for instance. or williams being below average.

we are a good team, but if you stay a little level after both wins and losses i think itll be a season that entertains but probably not put us in the playoffs without a little luck.

Edited by NoSaint

The sky isn't falling yet. I have a feeling with more time spent with the same QB coach that fixed the same issues that Stafford had, EJ will be a good QB capable of winning games. The Offensive line is more of a concern than EJ at this point.

as stafford has been sub 60% the last two seasons, im not sure you can argue he fixed staffords accuracy and consistency issues at all.

The sky isn't falling yet. I have a feeling with more time spent with the same QB coach that fixed the same issues that Stafford had, EJ will be a good QB capable of winning games. The Offensive line is more of a concern than EJ at this point.

Stafford was a #1 overall pick, EJ might have fell to the 3rd round. Just because you select someone in the 1st round doesn't mean they have 1st round talent. (See JP Losman, John McCargo, Donte Whifner, Aaron Maybin, Mike Williams...etc. I'm sure I missed some)

That's a very accurate assessment of the Bills and being a fan.

I actually believe that this loss will benefit the younger players on this team, including EJ.

Get this ugly loss in early.... Just in time to expose where they are at as a team. They needed a reminder of why they need to keep working even harder. To me, a win with mistakes doesn't help them see the things that need improvement more than a loss with the same mistakes. They need to play hungry all year. I think some of the team were feeling a little too good about themselves....including the coaching staff.

Does Doug start Graham over Leodis? Does Schwartz put Searcy in position to help covering in lieu of having P Brown learn painfully on the fly? These are some examples that I think the coaching staff has to look into. We'll see real accountability if they make some well needed adjustments going forward. Hopefully the Chargers did that for us.

The guy is right about this week's game against the Texans. The winner will move on in the over-achieving team of the year sweepstakes while the loser will make their team's 2-0 start look like fool's gold. I think this is particularly true for the Bills. A loss against the Texans and the Bills are looking at 2-3 with a game against NE in a game where a loss really would end any reasonable hopes for the playoffs. Going into that game at 3-2 will let the team play much looser IMO, and even if they lose they hit the softest part of their schedule at 3-3.

The guy is right about this week's game against the Texans. The winner will move on in the over-achieving team of the year sweepstakes while the loser will make their team's 2-0 start look like fool's gold. I think this is particularly true for the Bills. A loss against the Texans and the Bills are looking at 2-3 with a game against NE in a game where a loss really would end any reasonable hopes for the playoffs. Going into that game at 3-2 will let the team play much looser IMO, and even if they lose they hit the softest part of their schedule at 3-3.

Even with the loss against the Chargers, I think we have a fair shot at being 5-1 heading into the softest part of our schedule. Will it happen? Odds are, no. But these are winnable games coming up.

Yep, the 'Pretender Bowl'. We'll already be on the outside looking in -STILL in September- if we lose.. Houston can 'afford' this loss. We can't! Promise to REPRESENT! I'll even cheer EJ -against all hope..

That's a very accurate assessment of the Bills and being a fan.

I actually believe that this loss will benefit the younger players on this team, including EJ.

Get this ugly loss in early.... Just in time to expose where they are at as a team. They needed a reminder of why they need to keep working even harder. To me, a win with mistakes doesn't help them see the things that need improvement more than a loss with the same mistakes. They need to play hungry all year. I think some of the team were feeling a little too good about themselves....including the coaching staff.

Does Doug start Graham over Leodis? Does Schwartz put Searcy in position to help covering in lieu of having P Brown learn painfully on the fly? These are some examples that I think the coaching staff has to look into. We'll see real accountability if they make some well needed adjustments going forward. Hopefully the Chargers did that for us.

very Zen post , with some essence of kool aid tossed in.

I like the thought

Even with the loss against the Chargers, I think we have a fair shot at being 5-1 heading into the softest part of our schedule. Will it happen? Odds are, no. But these are winnable games coming up.

I have often thought highly of you Dorkington : )

That's probably the best bills article I have EVER read... Great write and thank you for posting it...fighting thru opiate withdrawls and PTSD to get my life back on track... This article actually made my day better

really glad to know it made your day better. Take care. Edited by YoloinOhio