I thought we were too obvious today and psyched ourselves out

Virgil

On defense, there didn't seem to be any disguised plays. It was like watching the mustache last year. We either showed blitz or showed 4. And then once the ball was snapped, we just overcommitted. I mean, any player who faked a block and then went out was wide open. It was just mis-direction by them all day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Gilmore has taken a huge step back and I don't understand why Graham isn't out there more. But, we still only gave up 20 points to a possible top 5 team.

Now, on offense. Yeah, I agree that the read option needs to go. I'm good with the amount of run plays we call. I'm okay with the pistol/shotgun formation. But we need to give these guys a running start. We need to have legit play action. And yes, EJ was terrible today. He's played well the firs two games, so I'll just chalk it up to a bad day. But I also agree that the WR's played flat today.

Either we got exposed or we played a good team. I'm going to say we played a good team. Because I just don't think our O-Line, D-Line, DB's, and WR's could all just look that bad suddenly.

Now, we are about to play a team we should beat. I expect us to handle the Texans. Put up a fight against the Lions, fight the Pats, and then handle the Vikings.

If we end up 5-2, maybe even 4-3 we are good and I'll be optimitic.

On defense, there didn't seem to be any disguised plays. It was like watching the mustache last year. We either showed blitz or showed 4. And then once the ball was snapped, we just overcommitted. I mean, any player who faked a block and then went out was wide open. It was just mis-direction by them all day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Gilmore has taken a huge step back and I don't understand why Graham isn't out there more. But, we still only gave up 20 points to a possible top 5 team.

Now, on offense. Yeah, I agree that the read option needs to go. I'm good with the amount of run plays we call. I'm okay with the pistol/shotgun formation. But we need to give these guys a running start. We need to have legit play action. And yes, EJ was terrible today. He's played well the firs two games, so I'll just chalk it up to a bad day. But I also agree that the WR's played flat today.

Either we got exposed or we played a good team. I'm going to say we played a good team. Because I just don't think our O-Line, D-Line, DB's, and WR's could all just look that bad suddenly.

Now, we are about to play a team we should beat. I expect us to handle the Texans. Put up a fight against the Lions, fight the Pats, and then handle the Vikings.

If we end up 5-2, maybe even 4-3 we are good and I'll be optimitic.

I think this is all accurate. Good balanced post with perspective and reality.

generally, this isnt going to be a defense that tricks you. you need a lot of talent (we have), health (we have), effort (i think we generally have) and discipline (more or less, but things will happen).

20 points is a good week by nfl standards, even if we werent flashy. especially against a good team.

Edited by NoSaint

Defense got exposed against a good offense. They got torn up week 1 but Cutler gave away some gifts.

They were still the better unit as the O looked to be back in pre-season form.

My hope for Manuel is fading, it is the eye test. He doesn't have a feel for the game, plays like a robot, is predictable with the ball, hates throwing to his receivers, can't anticipate the rush to find a wide open target.

His ceiling is a worse version of Steve McNair, without the feel for the position.

Defense got exposed against a good offense. They got torn up week 1 but Cutler gave away some gifts.

My hope for Manuel is fading, it is the eye test. He doesn't have a feel for the game, plays like a robot, is predictable with the ball, hates throwing to his receivers, can't anticipate the rush to find a wide open target.

His ceiling is a worse version of Steve McNair, without the feel for the position.

You are a very sensible Buffalo Bills fan. Seriously.

If the Qb never runs, the read option is not an option and will not fool anyone. That being said, the Offensive line was getting stoned by San Diego and the Wide receivers were covered. San Diego's two 2TD's came on "rub" or "pick plays". I think the Bills should use more of these plays to free up Watkins and put him in motion also.

Good analysis. Front seven is much better against the run this year. Dline looks stout. LB's are average. Missing the athleticsm of Kiko. Brown is a high effort guy, but doesn't have Kiko's range. Bradham is servicable and Spikes is a thumper. But lacking playmaker at LB. In the secondary, Graham and A Williams are studs. Leodis is avg at best. And Gilmore has terrible technique and no feel for the position. He is the exact opposite of an Antoine Winfield. Causes him to be out of position a whole bunch. Robey plays his ass off, but is only 5'8,so is limited in coverage. I think Brooks and D Williams have potential. But Brooks always seems to be shaken up. But the D will fight all season long.

The real problem is at QB. Sure the Oline wasn't great on Sunday. But ur QB has to make everyone better around him. EJ brings the team down. Has no feel for the game, is afraid to throw the ball down the field. And runs like a 75 year old man in an old timers game. Gino Smith has his flaws. But he is a gamer, and wants to make plays. He is not afraid to throw the rock. And he cares. The guy was in tears after their loss to the Bears when they did not get the ball in the endzone at the end of the game. When ur QB is afraid to throw the ball down the field, has terrible accuracy and doesn't have any feel for the situation around him, you have to make a change. This team can win games, but they need a QB who is not afraid and understands the game. EJ plays the game like he is in a walk thru practice. If the O doesn't get it done in the first half against the Texans, I bring in Orton. No reason EJ has to start. He is not the long term answer at QB anyways. Any fan can see that. He is a taller slightly more athletic version of Kelly Holcomb.