Should Orton start next week?

Dorkington

Who should start next week?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start next week?

• EJ Manuel
    • Kyle Orton

By game 12 or so, if Bills are no longer in contention, it will be time to see if the rest of the Bills machine performs better with another QB at the helm. Of course, the total administration will be lame ducks then anyhow, so why not see what they can do with a proven commodity at QB. Now, with the big stink about getting the right backup, Marrone might be hard pressed not to try out Orton sooner if the season is going down the drain. EJ is slow in his reads, and not accurate when he throws many times. Yesterday was a diaster.....balls sailing all over the place on the medium and long throws. He is not getting picked, btw, because the throws are so bad that the defense has no chance either. the throws are not near misses...... :(

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah that's not really true. Are we still going to be citing Drew Brees ten years from now, pretending like he wasn't a big exception to the rule (kinda like the "you don't need a QB" people did with the 2000 Ravens for so long)?

http://grantland.com...ryan-tannehill/

I know EJ isn't at 25 games yet but it doesn't look good at 'halftime'.

The three injuries last yr are one reason he doesn't have more games, which, while it doesn't seem fair to 'punish' him for...it's a red flag that there was no obvious drop-off with Thad freaking Lewis. And it appears to have made him gunshy about ever running (maybe this is the coaches, who knows).

EJ has a better record than Thad, no?

EJ is 6-7 (6-6 if you only count games completed) so far. Thad was 2-4.

Edited by Dorkington

I'd be very interested to know what Watkins Woods and Williams, who were running open all day, think about this question.

Being at the game, I saw all three holding up their arms asking why they were not thrown the ball at various times...as they were obviously open. EJ isn't getting it done mentally or physically. I am not saying the receivers are turning on EJ (yet)....but, that is in the wind imho...

Wow 75 people so far want the question to linger of Manuel's ability to be a effective starting NFL QB.

Either that or they have already decided he is a bust with very limited data to work with.

Both are equally absurd to me, and I am far from believing Manuel has what it takes.

Being at the game, I saw all three holding up their arms asking why they were not thrown the ball at various times...as they were obviously open. EJ isn't getting it done mentally or physically. I am not saying the receivers are turning on EJ (yet)....but, that is in the wind imho...

I was there too. Section 131, 13th row. Couldn't agree more. People on here may not like it, but it's a risk Marrone has to manage.

No doubt he could, heck I think F Jackson could hit more receivers downfield than EJ.

You have not followed Orton's career very closely. There is overwhelming doubt about his ability to hit anything over 10 yards. Plus he is putrid in any kind of wind.

EJ has a better record than Thad, no?

EJ is 6-7 (6-6 if you only count games completed) so far. Thad was 2-4.

Lewis was 2-3. Three of them were road games (vs just five road games in twelve for EJ) and three of them playoff teams. Would've been five playoff teams if we didn't win both Miami games. Here's where somebody replies out of context and says he didn't do much in the Dolphin games. I'll save you the time. Great, I'm not the one who brought up records like it's the end all be all. See Sanchez & Vince Young in that chart I linked. Can the guy play or not. Nobody reasonable watching those games last year thought there was any difference between the two and the first three games this year haven't been any different.

Edited by BuffOrange

Unsurprisingly, even though the voices in the threads seem to dominate as anti EJ, the poll results show that most fans want to go with EJ. He's what, 13 games into his career? He's posted a 90 QB rating so far, has minimized mistakes, helped us win two games, and couldn't put it together to win us the third.

As I posted in another thread, almost all of the other superbowl winning QBs in the modern era had to develop over their first few seasons, but it seems people forget that in this era where Russell Wilson, and to a lesser extent, Luck/Kaepernick/RGIII, have had early success. It's a win now league, if you aren't an immediate success, you're a bust. If you don't coach to immediate success, you're a failure.

Rivers who was clearly the better QB yesterday didn't become a good QB until his 5th year in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/careerstats

I don't think Orton is a bad QB. But he needs more time to learn the offense and EJ needs more of a chance. With a 90.8 QB rating, he's hardly been putrid. We're 2-1. EJ played a contributing role in those 2 wins and he also played a role in the loss. He was neither the primary reason we won 2 games nor the primary reason we lost to SD.

Yes, bench EJ and start Orton.

But after a while, maybe a couple of years, Orton will start to seem like another Fritz. In other words a QB that has enough athletic limitations that fans are going to want to see him replaced.

But the team is not going to be bad enough to get close to the top of the draft. So they'll end up taking a QB with a high upside, but with enough flaws in his game that he slips down out of the top 10.

So, in about 3 years or so, what they'll get is another EJ Manuel!

You really think it would take Bills fans...Bills fans?... a "couple of years" to draw this conclusion? Ortons' weaknesses would come to light much more quickly than that.

Ortons' game has its' limitations, if it didn't he wouldn't be a perenial back-up everywhere he goes. Right now, his experience (in the NFL, not in the Bills offense) would give him a huge advantage over EJ...but at some point he would reach his ceiling too. In the name of doing what is best for the teams' future, you stick with Manuel for as long as you can...he is going to have good and bad games..and maybe a gem or two along the way. EJ still has the potential to get better... Orton may be a better starter rigth now, but he has reached his maximum... the fact that he didn't have a training camp, and is much newer to the offensive system might hurt him...

I understand the temptation to want to switch...believe me, when EJ zinged one downfiled, about 10 feet over Robert Woods head (or anybody's head) I wondered to myself if the Bills would have been in that game with Orton throwing those passes...

Lewis was 2-3. Three of them were road games (vs just five road games in twelve for EJ) and three of them playoff teams. Would've been five playoff teams if we didn't win both Miami games. Here's where somebody replies out of context and says he didn't do much in the Dolphin games. I'll save you the time. Great, I'm not the one who brought up records like it's the end all be all. See Sanchez & Vince Young in that chart I linked. Can the guy play or not. Nobody reasonable watching those games last year thought there was any difference between the two and the first three games this year haven't been any different.

You're right. The Bills are doomed. EJ is a bust. Ralph is cheap.