Thunderstorms Sunday?

DC Greg

Knee braces for everyone! Seriously, why don't more players wear them. A good knee brace is not overly restrictive. After my knee injury, even after I was healed, I would wear my brace when water skiing, climbing, etc. I never felt like it hindered my mobility. Then again, I am far from a world class athelete.

Many athletes won't wear knee braces because they actually can weaken the area they are built to protect. If they structurally support the effected area, the muscles, tendons and ligaments don't need to do their job so they become weaker. That, and braces are cumbersome, annoying and remind you to watch out for the possibility of re-injury, creating a distraction.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many athletes won't wear knee braces because they actually can weaken the area they are built to protect. If they structurally support the effected area, the muscles, tendons and ligaments don't need to do their job so they become weaker. That, and braces are cumbersome, annoying and remind you to watch out for the possibility of re-injury, creating a distraction.

That makes sense, but on occasion, such as a slippery field, I don't think it would weaken them at all. Especially linemen.