question re Seantrel contract

zazie

Or, you know, the opposite. It kinda passes me off to see guys with 20 years less experience come in making essentially the same wages. Football is kinda like real life in that sense. loyalty doesn't pay. Plenty of guys in my field move from company to company, getting a pay boost with every move, while guys like me carry the biggest load, and receive 1.5% annual increases.

And whose fault is that?

Draconian means unnecessarily harsh or severe. I don't see how making six figures to play a game for 4 months qualifies.

That's one way of considering it (and the way I would likely consider it, if I were in his position).

But another way of looking at it is this: The Bills 2nd round OT gets approximately $4.8 mill over four years. Seantrel gets approximately $2.3 mil over four years. If Seantrel was really 2nd round talent then it could be said he was penalized over $2 mil for failing a drug test. I can see how some might consider that draconian punishment.

And whose fault is that?

No doubt. I'm not willing to relocate, so I stay. I wasn't complaining, really, just contrasting the "life ain't fair for rookies", with "life ain't always fair for veterans". Life isn't always fair for anyone. I'm okay with that. As you pointed out, most of us have a choice in regards to employment. That's America.

That's one way of considering it (and the way I would likely consider it, if I were in his position).

But another way of looking at it is this: The Bills 2nd round OT gets approximately $4.8 mill over four years. Seantrel gets approximately $2.3 mil over four years. If Seantrel was really 2nd round talent then it could be said he was penalized over $2 mil for failing a drug test. I can see how some might consider that draconian punishment.

There's a couple issues with viewing it like that.

1. We'll never know when he "would have" been drafted. Maybe the first, maybe the 4th who knows?

2. I don't believe he was penalized for failing a drug test. I believe he was penalized for showing an awful lack of situational awareness, a lack of good judgement, a lack of the ability to follow rules. If you're too much of an idiot to stop smoking pot before the NFL draft, I'm not sure I'd use a high pick either. It's less the drug test, more what the drug test symbolizes.

There's a couple issues with viewing it like that.

1. We'll never know when he "would have" been drafted. Maybe the first, maybe the 4th who knows?

2. I don't believe he was penalized for failing a drug test. I believe he was penalized for showing an awful lack of situational awareness, a lack of good judgement, a lack of the ability to follow rules. If you're too much of an idiot to stop smoking pot before the NFL draft, I'm not sure I'd use a high pick either. It's less the drug test, more what the drug test symbolizes.

So you are saying it was the drug test, right? No matter what that test "symbolizes" to you, if he passes that test, is he drafted higher? Now I don't disagree with the idea it's pretty stupid to fail that drug test, and it suggests something else is wrong here (anything from just immature all the way to mental issues). But bottom line, he's being punished for failing a drug test. Dress that up anyway you like.

This reminds me of the Parker/Byrd "lost wages" argument. The Bills "underpaid" him in his rookie contract, ergo he was due a lot of "make-up" money to be made whole.

All he got and presumably all he argued was that he wasn't taking another discount. He'd already been the good soldier and played all the way through the deal and now it was time for the team to pay market price and reward him.

So you are saying it was the drug test, right? No matter what that test "symbolizes" to you, if he passes that test, is he drafted higher? Now I don't disagree with the idea it's pretty stupid to fail that drug test, and it suggests something else is wrong here (anything from just immature all the way to mental issues). But bottom line, he's being punished for failing a drug test. Dress that up anyway you like.

Sure, it's the drug test. But it's not like, "he just smoked pot, it's already legal in two states!" That's not the issue. It's the question marks that arise WHEN you fail that drug test.

And being too out of shape to finish his pro day and failing some more tests in college and some general attitude issues.... It wasn't just 1 thing

Edited by NoSaint

And being too out of shape to finish his pro day and failing some more tests and in college and some general attitude issues.... It wasn't just 1 thing

How could he finish his pro day? He was stoned. Cut the guy some slack. :lol:

the difference in pay between the 7th and 3rd round is not that much.

here is a chart showing approximate salary

http://overthecap.co...ry-cap-2014.php

About $800,000 for the contract (4 years) less than Preston Brown's contract. The real difference is when you compare it to the 2nd round.

Or, you know, the opposite. It kinda passes me off to see guys with 20 years less experience come in making essentially the same wages. Football is kinda like real life in that sense. loyalty doesn't pay. Plenty of guys in my field move from company to company, getting a pay boost with every move, while guys like me carry the biggest load, and receive 1.5% annual increases.

With real inflation being at about 3%, you are getting screwed.

Edited by bowery4

About $800,000 for the contract (4 years) less than Preston Brown's contract. The real difference is when you compare it to the 2nd round.

For me it is comparing him to what other starting RTs make in the NFL.

Expensive couple of doobies plus, not such a great NFLPA system for someone who happens to get injured in their second or third year and have started before that all the way thru.