Cam Newton's bizarre press conference

YoloinOhio

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um...that black people really don't like being called apes. Which they don't.

Starting a sentence with "Ummm...." is a great way to sound like an adolescent girl about to launch a tirade about how she wanted a mocha latte skim and not a chocolate mocha frappucino.

And you think Donkey Kong Suh would think that Cam was calling him an ape in way to suggest racial inferiority rather than just making fun of his name?

Starting a sentence with "Ummm...." is a great way to sound like an adolescent girl about to launch a tirade about how she wanted a mocha latte skim and not a chocolate mocha frappucino.

And you think Donkey Kong Suh would think that Cam was calling him an ape in way to suggest racial inferiority rather than just making fun of his name?

Um...no. I don't think that, which is why I never said that.

You didn't imply that Cam should avoid references to primates lest he be mistaken for a racist?

You may have inferred judgement, but I implied none.

Self-described old timer didn't get the link between Donkey Kong and 'racism.' Just because I explained it to him, doesn't mean I'm on a racist witch hunt.

The Big Cat, Jauronimo - Guys, what on earth are you arguing about ? I just read the last 2-3 pages and frankly don't have a clue what you are mad at each other about. Can't you just kiss shake hands and make up ? We have a bunch of mammals to beat this Sunday.

Signed,

Self appointed mediator

He likes to do this from time to time.

Self-described old timer didn't get the link between Donkey Kong and 'racism.' Just because I explained it to him, doesn't mean I'm on a racist witch hunt.

Got it. You didn't imply the things that you most certainly implied and are confused as to the meaning of judgement.

I'm sorry, what was it you're accusing me of again?

Since I'm feeling gracious, I'll walk you through it as gently as I can.

You:

Don't call big black guys "Donkey Kong."

Old Timer:

I'm an old guy. Will someone please tell me - what's Donkey Kong & why it is racist.

You:

Donkey Kong is a gorilla character in a video game.

Ya can't make any correlation to black people and apes.

So now we've established that you believe Cam should avoid any reference to "large black men" as apes due to racial connotations. So I questioned whether you believe that Cam, a black man, was really at risk of being labeled a racist.

Me:

You didn't imply that Cam should avoid references to primates lest he be mistaken for a racist?

You:

Which brings us to current. I do not share your concerns that Cam's remarks will be construed as racist or that he needs to be wary of making fun of Ndonkey Kong's name. Now if Riley Cooper were to say it, I could see that being a risky move.

Since I'm feeling gracious, I'll walk you through it as gently as I can.

You:

Old Timer:

You:

So now we've established that you believe Cam should avoid any reference to "large black men" as apes due to racial connotations. So I questioned whether you believe that Cam, a black man, was really at risk of being labeled a racist.

Me:

You:

Which brings us to current. I do not share your concerns that Cam's remarks will be construed as racist or that he needs to be wary of making fun of Ndonkey Kong's name. Now if Riley Cooper were to say it, I could see that being a risky move.

You have this strange obsession with twisting what people say to assume some moral high ground. For what purpose, I haven't yet determined.

You took the first quote: "Don't call big black guys Donkey Kong" entirely out of context. That is absolutely what a Sports Information Officer would/probably did say to Cam following the press conference, as I stated.

At no point did I say his comments were racist. But are you seriously denying the reality wherein they will be/already have construed as such?

I get that you might not subscribe to the sensitivity to being likened to apes, that's fine.

But you can't deny it exists.

This is what I mean when I say I cast no judgement. I don't really care to offer my opinion on this.

But bet your buns, calling a black fella an ape is something that attract 'racist' accusations.

That's what the old timer asked. That's what I explained.

You have this strange obsession with twisting what people say to assume some moral high ground. For what purpose, I haven't yet determined.

You took the first quote: "Don't call big black guys Donkey Kong" entirely out of context. That is absolutely what a Sports Information Officer would/probably did say to Cam following the press conference, as I stated.

At no point did I say his comments were racist. But are you seriously denying the reality wherein they will be/already have construed as such?

I get that you might not subscribe to the sensitivity to being likened to apes, that's fine.

But you can't deny it exists.

This is what I mean when I say I cast no judgement. I don't really care to offer my opinion on this.

But bet your buns, calling a black fella an ape is something that attract 'racist' accusations.

That's what the old timer asked. That's what I explained.

You are lost. Every statement in that post is flat out wrong. I'll be less gentle.

This discussion has nothing to do with moral high ground. It has everything to do with a different high ground. You're not off to a good start.

A "sports information officer" would absolutely probably (way to stick by your guns!) take Cam to task about references to apes in conjunction with black men? Perhaps Cam's handlers would ask him to avoid such areas, but why? The "why" is why we're discussing this topic.

You think Cam should watch the ape references because they can be construed as racist. I say Cam is at 0% risk of being called a racist for his donkey kong-ndamakung word play because Cam is black. Why would a black man need to be wary of such language? As I previously stated, Riley Cooper should avoid any such remarks, but I think Cam is safe. I found it pretty funny that you thought that Cam's language would be cause for concern and replied.

As for the rest of your points regarding sensitivity, reality, denial, and judgement, well that really came out of left field. Even after I spoon fed it to you, you still missed the point entirely and responded with that nonsense.

You think Cam should watch the ape references because they can be construed as racist. I say Cam is at 0% risk of being called a racist for his donkey kong-ndamakung word play because Cam is black. Why would a black man need to be wary of such language? As I previously stated, Riley Cooper should avoid any such remarks, but I think Cam is safe. I found it pretty funny that you thought that Cam's language would be cause for concern and replied.

***looks around....realizes people have called cam a racist....then realizes Jauronimo is extremely stupid (and can't grasp percentages)

Perhaps Cam's handlers would ask him to avoid such areas, but why? The "why" is why we're discussing this topic.

No. In fact, we're not discussing that. And that's the basic point you keep missing. I don't understand your belligerence. You keep trying to lure me into this discussion, but I haven't once said right or wrong: there is a racist twist to what Cam Newton said. I simply said there was.

Period.

Black person acts abnormal = TBD states he is on drugs, shocker

How bills fans don't get lumped in with racist fans like the rams or steelers is beyond me

Well, when a white qb acts like he is on drugs to the media, be sure to let us know so we can agree with you that he is on drugs. I'm pretty sure everyone though losman was on drugs. Oh wait...he wasn't totally white so nevermind.

what a stupid comment to make. You probably think everything is racist.

No. In fact, we're not discussing that. And that's the basic point you keep missing. I don't understand your belligerence. You keep trying to lure me into this discussion, but I haven't once said right or wrong: there is a racist twist to what Cam Newton said. I simply said there was.

Period.

Yes, thats all you said. Period. Well that, AND that a sports information officer would absolutely probably criticize Cam for his remarks which can be construed as racial.

But apparently we were never discussing the last part even though that's the only aspect of your post I've been responding to.