Shane Matthews: did he show enough

Cash2Burn

I haven't been impressed enough with Brown this preseason to make it worth keeping four QBs on the roster. I'd roll the dice and cut him.

Even if they had another injury at the position, I think he could be resigned easy enough. Who else would be desperate enough to pick him up after the final cuts are made. He's a journeyman with a capital J.

I haven't been impressed enough with Brown this preseason to make it worth keeping four QBs on the roster.  I'd roll the dice and cut him. 

Even if they had another injury at the position, I think he could be resigned easy enough.  Who else would be desperate enough to pick him up after the final cuts are made.  He's a journeyman with a capital J.

16757[/snapback]

wouldn't this be an injury settlement, not a straight cut? i think that effects the bills ability to resign him......i'm not sure, maybe someone can clarify.....

wouldn't this be an injury settlement, not a straight cut? i think that effects the bills ability to resign him......i'm not sure, maybe someone can clarify.....

16763[/snapback]

From what I understand, Brown's injury is a sprain, not a surgery situation. I think he could be cut without a settlement having to be made.

I haven't been impressed enough with Brown this preseason to make it worth keeping four QBs on the roster.  I'd roll the dice and cut him. 

Even if they had another injury at the position, I think he could be resigned easy enough.  Who else would be desperate enough to pick him up after the final cuts are made.  He's a journeyman with a capital J.

16757[/snapback]

Injured players can not be just cut - injury settlements are necessary if they are not able to pass a physical. It takes a number of weeks, around 10, before the player can be resigned like Travis Brown was last year after a FINGER INJURY.

Obviously coaching staff saw something in tapes for they did not make a major effort to being in a player to compete with Travis Brown.

Matthews has played less than a week and he was on the market but they choose not to bring him in. I do not think they even brought him in for a look!

shane can't throw a deep ball, and his intermediate passes don't have much zip. in a nutshell, his ball is so different from drew's and JP's that he'd be a questionable 3rd. the receivers have too much to adjust to...

but i'm still impressed by his performance.

shane can't throw a deep ball, and his intermediate passes don't have much zip. in a nutshell, his ball is so different from drew's and JP's that he'd be a questionable 3rd. the receivers have too much to adjust to...

16796[/snapback]

The same could be said for Brown. I haven't been impressed with his arm strength either. Matthews makes good decisions and that's all a backup has to do in an emergency situation.

16796[/snapback]

God, his passes were so weak armed I could have thrown them, and I throw like a girl. But he really does know what he is doing, and on this particularly designed team, he is probably as good as Travis Brown right now. Especially considering we already have our QB of the future. He can move the team. He doesn't make mistakes. With this defense, and these many guys who can make plays, we don't necessarily need a huge arm.

Matthews is a solid, unspectacular back-up capable of leading a team for a couple halves or a couple games. I doubt that Travis Brown is much more than that, or even that.

I just love repeating myself ad nauseum.

1. IT'S FUGGIN' PRESEASON. Performance is almost MEANINGLESS.

2. HAVE ANY OF YOU WATCHED MATTHEWS PLAY IN BAD WEATHER? He makes Flutie's arm look like a freakin' 105MM Howitzer. He's a stopgap. Period. If he could play AT ALL, he wouldn't have been available 2 weeks before the freakin' season started.

I just love repeating myself ad nauseum. 

1.  IT'S FUGGIN' PRESEASON.  Performance is almost MEANINGLESS.

2.  HAVE ANY OF YOU WATCHED MATTHEWS PLAY IN BAD WEATHER?  He makes Flutie's arm look like a freakin' 105MM Howitzer.  He's a stopgap.  Period.  If he could play AT ALL, he wouldn't have been available 2 weeks before the freakin' season started.

16874[/snapback]

That all may be true, but it still doesnt make Travis Brown any better than Shane Matthews.

That all may be true, but it still doesnt make Travis Brown any better than Shane Matthews.

16884[/snapback]

He certainly ain't any worse and there's at least a minute chance that with some actual game experience he might get better. There is NO chance of that happening with Matthews.

He certainly ain't any worse and there's at least a minute chance that with some actual game experience he might get better.  There is NO chance of that happening with Matthews.

16887[/snapback]

Well, that is really not the point with Travis Brown. We have our quarterback of the future in Losman. What we need out of a #3, right now, is emergency stewardship. Right now, I am at least as comfortable with Shane Matthews holding the position of having to take over for a couple series or a couple games and not ruin out season, than I am with Travis Brown. I don't hate Brown, and this isn't a clear cut choice, IMO. All I am saying is that you know what you have with Matthews. He is dependable. He will never be great. But a team with a great defense and good running game and good coaching and good skill players can likely win with him. Th jury is still out on Travis Brown.

Matthews managed the game and played within himself , and didn't cost the team any field posotion. All this with exactly 1.5 hours of practice under his belt since DEC 2003!! We all should know by now that armstrength is only a factor in evaluating good QB play.

i think that the bottom line to this whole thingy is this:

brown doesn't have the game experience that matthews has. if drew went down, (knock on wood) i would feel alot better knowing that a vetern who has been at that position before is at the controls. he just has to get up to "game speed" and the bills terminology. i like brown and all but experience is key in the nfl.

Matthews managed the game and played within himself , and didn't cost the team any field posotion. All this with exactly 1.5 hours of practice under his belt since DEC 2003!! We all should know by now that armstrength is only a factor in evaluating good QB play.

16901[/snapback]

It certainly isn't the only factor, but it's a pretty big one to consider when you play important games outside in Orchard Park, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco in December. Shane Matthews is a marginal veteran performer who performed adequately in a preseason game. Whoopie.

Anyone remember how good Joe Montana looked in the AFC Championship game against the Chiefs? It's not a fuggin' coincidence.